Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

12v to 6v transformer for XM Dekphi Roadie II

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Tom Mieczkowski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v to 6v transformer for XM Delphi Roadie II

Guys/Gals - Corvette Brethren,

I am a pretty handy guy, but not real good with things electronic. I have a Delphi Roadie and would like to NOT have to utilize the "cigarette lighter" power source to run power to the unit. The cig. lighter plug-in provided with the unit has a built in "dc to dc converter" function which is rated at "1000 mA". However, I would like to use something I can bury a little more effectively and keep the power-takeoff in the car free. Can I buy something like this "dc to dc converter" at radio shack or someplace like radio shack so I can run some hot 12v from the car to the converter, get 6 v out of the converter and then run wire directly to the radio unit at the proper voltage and amperage? This would save me from occupying the existing power outlet, which I would prefer to save for cell phone use, and also make for a cleaner install as the supplied converter that comes with the Delphi is pretty clunky.

Can anyopne advise me on this?

Thanks a million!! I hope everyone out there has a great holiday and gets a really nice Corvette gift this year!!

Last edited by Tom Mieczkowski; 12-06-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 PM
0Audio Dave
Former Vendor

Location: Murfreesboro, TN. "I'm like a kid in a candy store everytime I see a Corvette!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a simple trick I do on XM installs...

open up the cigarette lighter plug from XM. Connect a positive and ground wire to the cigarette lighter plug from XM (the outer metal section is ground, and the positive wire should go to the middle pin), and then connect to a switched ignition source for power, and to a ground source for ground. Typically, if your OEM cigarette lighter goes off with the ignition, pull it out, and tap into the power and ground right there.

As for the inline fuse inside the XM cig. lighter plug, I connect my positive wire to the end that is coming from the circuit board inside (the DC/DC converter) thus eliminating the fuse. The reason: the glass fuses suck, and you can simply wire in a standard ATC fuse inline outside of the XM cig. lighter plug, and have just as much effectiveness.

I hope this helps... and if you have any questions, email me...

p.s. I will take detailed pictures of the install the next time I do one, and post them here on the forum. Most likely, it will be in the next few days, as popular as XM installs are....
Old 12-06-2005, 10:35 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you use this (http://www.electronicsurplus.com/com...oduct_id=88853) and a capacitor you could get a regulated 6volt power supply @ 1.5amps

Get notified of new replies

To 12v to 6v transformer for XM Dekphi Roadie II

Quick Reply: 12v to 6v transformer for XM Dekphi Roadie II