Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing Antenna Mast

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 11:13 PM
shacky
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Antenna Mast

My antenna mast in my 94 would not go down all the way. So, I read about how you can usually replace just the mast and it will take care of the problem.

Well, no such luck yet. I installed it per instructions: http://content.madirect.com/pdf/601242.pdf and it does the exact same thing the old one did; sticks up about 3 inches when down.

What would happen if I cut about 3 inches off of the serrated cable? Would that help? If not, anyone have any other helpful suggestions?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Bluevette85
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a new later model antenna in my 85 and the antenna wouldn't extend all the way. It uses the same mast you have. While the antenna was entended, I removed the retaining nut and pulled the ribbon out. I then cycled the antenna off then on. This resets the start and stop contacts to the correct position. With the antenna extended. I shut the radio off and fed the ribbon down into the tube. Put the nut back on and it works perfectly now.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:25 PM
shacky
Racer

I'll try it!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:09 PM
shacky
Racer

I took out the new mast and reinstalled it several times. Every time putting it up and down several times to see if it would adjust itself. It does the exact same as the original; stays up about 2 inches. I took the old one, which seems fine and tried cutting 2 inches off of the serated belt. Doesn't work and, in fact, makes it inoperable. So, I still have the new one installed with the old problem.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix it, I would be glad to hear!

Thanks
Old 10-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Bluevette85
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you turn the radio on and off without the ribbon or mast inside?
Old 10-23-2005, 11:04 PM
shacky
Racer

Yup, did that once or twice each time. The motor and action all "sounds" good. But I just can't get that antenna to go all the way down.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:16 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Doesn't sound like a mast problem. I'd try taking the motor apart and cleaning and relubing it.

Mine does the same thing sometimes, but I can always get it to go down by turning it on and off so I haven't bothered with it.

If you figure it out, let us know what worked.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Antenna Mast

Quick Reply: Replacing Antenna Mast