Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 03-25-2015, 01:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C5 and general audio FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 AM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
Another option other than the add-a-circuit gizmo is a shove-in blade tap like this, just be sure to add an inline fuse on the wire. If you can't find one small enough for a mini-fuse just file down a full size tap.

Some other good options HERE

That's pretty much what I got from NAPA - I think the problem was that the ends of the ones I bought were squared, not tapered like the ones shown in your picture. The ones you show would probably go in easier. I tried my NAPA ones but felt uncomfortable pushing that hard on my fusr block -- I didn't want to FUBAR anything that I couldn't fix. Thanks again Mark beacuse now I do know what fuse controls the yellow wire that I tapped into.

So to all of you who have the 2004 Vette - For an aftermarket Radio application using the empty slot 22 is NOT a good option!! Fuse 10 with a tap or splice the yellow wire and use an inline 10 AMP fuse is the much better alternative.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM
yel02vert
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose blown speakers

I have an '02 vert. I have now managed to blow speakers in both doors and the rear. I have seen the many threads about systems and upgrades. All sounds good but what I really want to do is the basic swap without changing my system. I have owned this car since new and was reasonably pleased with sound quality for OEM. I used to run 4 high end audio stores 20 years ago and know that is a major concession.

Has anybody found speakers that would sound reasonable installed as swaps for the Bose garbage without making any other changes?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Any standard 4ohm 2-way aftermarket speakers will work for the 3.5" in front and 5.25" in back. If you've blown the door subs you'll need to find some takeoffs to replace them with.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
chevyjunkie1
1st Gear

Default C5 XM-Onyx Installation

I have a 2003 Corvette and I installed the antenna and hooked up the power to the Sirius/XM Onyx. I have it mounted on the ash tray cover. I don't smoke anyway. My issue is XM has the FM adapter, but without taking the head out I am wondering if this adapter will work, since I have a power antenna for the Bose unit. I do have the CD stacker in the trunk. I am guessing this runs as an auxillary on the head unit. Is the aux connection better or should I use the adapter? Will the adapter work with this unit with power antenna?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:32 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

FM adapter will work in any vette, if you have a coupe you could connect it behind seat nstead of pulling dash apart (if you want to). However, connecting to the CD audio inputs would be a better quality signal into the HU. If you use the FM adapter you'll need a pair of GM antenna adapters (GM plug is smaller than industry standard).

For the aux input you can do THIS DIY MOD to keep changer functional or disable/remove the changer and get THIS ADAPTER
Old 01-31-2013, 04:09 PM
harvdog46
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another option for double din installation

A lot less work in modifying the radio console. I threw my back out, so I had to have it done. Installed a JVC KWAC-60BT 6.1" touch screen with backup camera. Works great although I would recommend using the JVC backup camera.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Take5
Cruising

Originally Posted by harvdog46
A lot less work in modifying the radio console. I threw my back out, so I had to have it done. Installed a JVC KWAC-60BT 6.1" touch screen with backup camera. Works great although I would recommend using the JVC backup camera.

Did you modify the stock bezel to fit the double din youself? If so do you have instructions on how you did?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
harvdog46
Advanced

Default Double Din Install in C5 done by Stereo Solutions

Originally Posted by Take5
Did you modify the stock bezel to fit the double din youself? If so do you have instructions on how you did?
Like I said, I have had recent back problems and had Stereo Solutions of Redding, CA install the head. If you call them at 530-224-1400 they might be able to give you some instructions. These guys do really good work and it only cost me $150 for the install labor.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
harvdog46
Advanced

Default Don't know if any speakers will work.

Originally Posted by yel02vert
I have an '02 vert. I have now managed to blow speakers in both doors and the rear. I have seen the many threads about systems and upgrades. All sounds good but what I really want to do is the basic swap without changing my system. I have owned this car since new and was reasonably pleased with sound quality for OEM. I used to run 4 high end audio stores 20 years ago and know that is a major concession.

Has anybody found speakers that would sound reasonable installed as swaps for the Bose garbage without making any other changes?
I had to replace the radio head to have it work with another amp and speakers. The Bose pre-amp is a real problem. I installed Polk speakers both in the door and the rear side panels. Since I installed a 500 watt amp, the original radio head would not push the amp to get power to the speakers. Bose audio products suck. I only put about $1800 into my vert and have a double din touch screen, backup camera, 12" JL
Audio Sub, 500 watt Arc Audio amp. The sub and amp fit in the center rear storage compartment, so it can't be seen.
The following users liked this post:
ray 5 (06-26-2016)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM
1999Firehawkls1
Racer

Bookmarked for info Thx
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM
sprintguy1
Heel & Toe

Hello. Do you have any of those modified bezel's you would sell? I have a 2001 Z06 and I have a double Din stereo I would love to install..Thanks!! Great work by the way!!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sprintguy1
Hello. Do you have any of those modified bezel's you would sell? I have a 2001 Z06 and I have a double Din stereo I would love to install..Thanks!! Great work by the way!!
http://shop.doubledmods.com/C5-Corve...Bezel_c602.htm
Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Lay Person's questions about the head unit

I am upgrading my stereo:
- from stock head unit, door and cabin speakers and an aftermarket-added one-channel am driving a subwoofer
- to stock head unit with aftermarket 5-channel amp and speakers.

The installer who added the one-channel amp for the subwoofer tapped into wiring (four wires) in the right-hand wiring loom on the back of the head unit (right as viewed from the front of hte head unit).

I will be using an AOEM-VET1 wiring harness (for whatit's worth) when tying in to the 5-channel amp.

How much, if any, of the prior installer's wiring should I remove. I'm wondering if, with the AOEM-VET1 harnesss, 5-channel amp and all speakers running through that amp, I might not need to "undo" any of the prior installer's wiring.

Thoughts please.

The Lizzard
Old 05-19-2013, 11:35 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Odds are the prior installer used the same wires that the AOEM will, only it was done by splicing into wires instead of using plugs and adapters. If that's the case, or even if it isn't, you can just leave it alone and tape off any unused wire ends.

The AOEM only has 4 RCA outputs, you can use them on ch1-4, then re-use the existing sub signal on ch5. That would save you from buying a splitter
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the process of replacing the two front 3.5" speakers since I already had the doors apart for another project. But, when I turned on the radio those speakers are not working at all. So on both doors just the 3.5" speakers are not functional. Are there some simply things I can check to figure out why these speakers are not working? I've looked at the harness connector on the door and it seems fine and the larger door speakers work fine. The two 3.5" in the front and the 5.25" speakers in the rear are the only things in the stereo system that are not OE.

Also ran into a problem with the rears during that installation as well. The new speakers are deeper than the OE and bottom out before they sit flush. Looks like I'll need some spacers for those to work.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 AM
captaingeek
Instructor

What size is the stock hu?

Is it 1.5 din?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:38 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by captaingeek
What size is the stock hu?

Is it 1.5 din?
In C5, yes 1.5 din

Get notified of new replies

To C5 and general audio FAQ

Old 06-30-2014, 05:32 AM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Aux not working

I have tried the suggestions here to get the aux working again but no luck.

Here is the situation:
I am using the FreeCom PdAuX3W-CL2 plugged directly into the factory head unit. have the factory CD changer installed

I had to disconnect the battery and now I have no aux connection at all.

CD changer powers, loads but no CD light on the HU display at all. I really don't want to tear out the radio to disconnect the freecom if I can avoid it.

I read that it is possible that the radio thinks there is a CD stuck in the unit and wont reconnect. not sure.

I have pulled the #5 fuse and waited, no change

I have loaded 12 CDs face down, put the cart in, powered off the radio, disconnected the harness at the Changer, waited 5min, turned on the ign, hit aux and plugged the radio back in, no change.

Not sure what else to do but I know this has been a problem for many years, just haven't seen a real solution. Am I missing it?

I don't really care about the CD changer, just want my aux back. When it was running it would always show disc 1 track 1.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I posted the info below in post #9 of this thread years ago for a different adapter, but for the same issue of the HU not recognizing it. If your gizmo is plugged in at the radio then you'll prob have to pull the dash, but AFAIK this procedure hasn't failed yet if done properly:

Trouble getting your stock head unit to recognize GM10-Aux?

Sometimes if you loose power to the radio (dead/disconnected battery), or unplug the GM10-Aux converter, your stock head unit may not want to go to or stay on "Disc 1 Track 1" like it should. After getting some advice from other forum members I put thogther this little procedure that has worked for me every time so far:

-unplug GM10-Aux from Cor-Har changer cable
-let it sit overnight (a few hours at least)
-with car still off, plug in GM10-Aux
-let it sit for at least 10 minutes
-turn on car & radio, select changer on radio
-if it works (Disc 1 Track 1) you're done
-if it doesn't work, leave car running but turn off radio
-unplug GM10-Aux, then reconnect it
-turn on radio, it should work
Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 PM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks,

This procedure was my next step, I was just hoping to not tear it all out again...Much appreciated, I'll post the results.

Originally Posted by markcz
I posted the info below in post #9 of this thread years ago for a different adapter, but for the same issue of the HU not recognizing it. If your gizmo is plugged in at the radio then you'll prob have to pull the dash, but AFAIK this procedure hasn't failed yet if done properly:

Quick Reply: C5 and general audio FAQ