Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need advice on XM install (my never-ending project)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 10:25 PM
SA04
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on XM install (my never-ending project)

Decided to do some sound-proofing to get ready for a trip and it's turned into a bit of a project. Pulled everything apart to install the b-quiet ultimate and v-comp sound insulators and said to myself, wouldn't this be the perfect time to scrap the Blose and (since I'll be able to hear it) put in a decent system. I bought an Alpine XM ready H/U and the Terk XM tuner and adapter. My question is: does anyone know a good place to mount these boxes. The adapter has got to be within about a foot of the H/U and the tuner within about 2.5 feet of the adapter. I've looked for longer cables from the tuner to the adapter, but it uses some funky 8-pin, s-video looking cable that I can't locate. What have you guys/gals done?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:46 AM
leolufse
Melting Slicks

I just did this in my C6. Had to put the one box in the passenger fuse area, and the other along the transmission tunnel. The cables will reach, I just am hoping it doesnt get too hot down there.

Here are some pics:

http://peachstateposse.com/ipw-web/gallery/album129
Old 06-07-2005, 07:05 PM
SA04
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the info, but it looks like the C6 has more room in the fuse box area than the C5. I'll give it a closer look.

By the way, I love your garage floor. Is that the peel and stick vinyl tiles? If so, how does it hold up? Garage floor is one of my future projects.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:13 AM
leolufse
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SA04
Thanks for the info, but it looks like the C6 has more room in the fuse box area than the C5. I'll give it a closer look.

By the way, I love your garage floor. Is that the peel and stick vinyl tiles? If so, how does it hold up? Garage floor is one of my future projects.
Thanks. It is just 12x12 self adhesive vinyl tile. I got them from Home Depot. They were $.40 sq/ft, so I decided to give it a try. They are thin but will hold up fine for most applications. But if you plan to do real work in the garage (like dropping tools or using jack stands) will mess it up. I plan to redo it once I finish up the C6 install. Lowes has a commercial grade self adhesive tile for about $1/sq ft.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on XM install (my never-ending project)

Quick Reply: Need advice on XM install (my never-ending project)