Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Custom Stereo Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 10:51 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Custom Stereo Part 1

Here is my custom system, part 1. My big goals were to have a nice, modern stereo with some thump, without hogging up all my room in the back. The hard part is done! So far, just amp and sub:

Here is the Alpine ~300 RMS watt amp. Since I have 92 LT1 Corvette seats, they created enough room for me to put it under the seat, keeping me in line with my goal of space conservation. It might fit under a stock seat too, but I dont know. The good thing about the 92 LT1 seats is that the bottom cushion comes out very easily, so I can access the amp for tuning, etc.

The Sub (sorry for the mess):

This is a 10'' Rockford Punch P2 ~200 watt RMS sub. It is mounted in the jack compartment in a custom box I made. I just took the door off, made a duplicate of it out of 1/2'' MDFB. Then, I created a box that mounted to the bottom of it that would slide down into the compartment.

Problems:
The box is too small. The recommended size for this 10'' is .65 cubic feet. I have maybe .45, which is just below the minimum reccomendation of ~.50. Space was the issue, as the compartment was just not big enough.

The box is 1/2" MDFB. It is always recommended to use 3/4''. Once again, space was the issue, along with the significant reduction of box volume with 3/4 as opposed to 1/2.

The result: I tested it out by hooking up my IPOD to the low input. I was very pleased with the sound I got, despite the shortcuts I took. I suppose if you're not looking for competiton sound, it will be very satisfactory.

I am going to go to Home Depot sometime and pick up some stainless cabinet handles to put on the top of the box. These will aid in pulling it out, and keep loose stuff in the back from sliding onto the speaker.

What do you think?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:34 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Woops, wrong section, I guess.... Sorry.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:49 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

get a grill for the sub...... if u are looking for space saver subs, the jl audios 8w6 or 10w6 10w7 have a low cubic volumn restriction

b

make sure you check your amp when u have it on for a while...since it's under the seat, the heat tends to stay down there...u can hook up a small fan from radio shack down there to help move some air..... i have three fans with my setup to help keep the amps cool

b
Old 05-23-2005, 06:37 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Thats a cool setup. I like it how you have 'hidden' it away.
Im looking forward to Custom Part 2!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:26 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

it's getting there, i have some updated pics but gonna retake them once i get it all together

b
Old 05-24-2005, 09:00 AM
Not2New72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Security

You know that while adding handles for the sub box makes it easier for YOU to pull itout, it also makes it easier for someone to steal it. Are you doing a security system too? I'd worry someone would come along and steal all the good work you're doing!

Old 05-24-2005, 10:04 AM
OrthoAggie
Le Mans Master

try adding some polyfil to the box
Old 05-24-2005, 12:34 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deiaggie
try adding some polyfil to the box
??? What is that?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettecris
??? What is that?
Polyfil is just internal box damping material. In the past, they used insulation... it cuts down on the air movement in the box and reduces the resonance of the box, while making the driver "feel" as if it is in a bigger box. (It actually works using the theory of thermodynamics... but that's another story all together.) Here's what you can do without destroying your girfriend's favorite stuffed animal:

Go to Wal-Mart and look in the fabric and sewing area. Tell a helper that you are making a nice pillow for your Mom, and need some filler material. When they stop laughing at you, they will direct you to a big bag that looks like something you would stuff into a pillow or a stuffed animal. Buy that bag of stuff and lightly pack your box with it. (Use enough to fill the box without packing the crap out of it.) Crank up your system and enjoy.

Mark
Old 05-24-2005, 02:17 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Cool! Thanks!
Old 05-24-2005, 03:16 PM
leolufse
Melting Slicks

The poly fill should help. Don't stuff it in there, you want it to be fluffy. Fill the box about 3/4 full. You should notice an extended low frequency response.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:19 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Nice job! I'd say definitely put handles on the sub box...sure beats prying it up with a screwdriver and wrecking your storage compartment bezels. Those lil sub boxes are heavy! Also, if you put a sub in there, the compartment door is already ruined (like mine ) so putting some handles on it is no big deal.

What are you running up front?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:13 PM
65 Hardnoks
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Put the grill on with anti theft screws ( the sub too if possible ). I would leave the handles off. I you have to get the box out, take the sub out of the box and lift the box out.
Make it as hard as possible for the thieves.
Just my .02

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Stereo Part 1

Quick Reply: Custom Stereo Part 1