C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling System

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM
rtruett1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Active Handling System

I have the SAHS message that comes on every once in awhile. It came on today and was able to take it to a local shop and after hooking up the Tech2 first thing we saw was code #c0161. Also he tried to access the ESC module and the communicator said it had no communication with ESC module. He recommended unplugging the module and plugging it back in just to see if there is a connection problem. Where is the ESC module located in the 2005 c6 corvette? Also does the code c0161 mean that I might have a brake sensor giving me a problem.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

brake sensor could be the cause yea..

C0161 Antilock Brake System (ABS)/Traction Control System (TCS) Brake Switch Circuit EBCM

Bill as usual, has some nice information..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1581130509-post3.html
and
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1578737102-post3.html

also
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572229231-post15.html

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-13-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 PM
rtruett1
Intermediate

Thanks for the information. It will probably this weekend before I will get a chance to look at it.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
rtruett1
Intermediate

Just wondering if I should be concerned about the Tech II not being able to communicate with the ESC module. I assume that the Tech II should be able to connect to it, not sure why it said that it had no communications with the ESC?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You need to look at the brake switch.

As for the ESC No Comm situation. Other than the original SAHS failure did you know there was anything wrong with the Electronic Suspension Control? Was it working prior to you finding out about the No Comm.

You say the No Comm was found by a Tech 2, was the shop a dealer repair facility or an independent shop? There are two fuses that feed the ESC. One is shared by the ABS. You might want to check both. Fuse 13 is a 25A fuse that provides the main power for the ESC and Fuse 3 is a 10A fuse that provides Ignition Voltage to the ESC and the ABS. I sort of doubt Fuse 3 is bad since the EBCM still seems to be working (C0161). The ESC is located behind the right front fender, above the engine control module (ECM), in right upper wheel well.

Bill
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM
TommyT88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
brake sensor could be the cause yea..

C0161 Antilock Brake System (ABS)/Traction Control System (TCS) Brake Switch Circuit EBCM

Bill as usual, has some nice information..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1581130509-post3.html
and
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1578737102-post3.html

also
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572229231-post15.html

In reference to the third link... is this only for auto/trans cars or does this also apply to manuals?

Also, does the active handling system reference the TPMS sensors? My L/F sometimes reads high/low pressure and then clears up.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rtruett1
I have the SAHS message that comes on every once in awhile. It came on today and was able to take it to a local shop and after hooking up the Tech2 first thing we saw was code #c0161. Also he tried to access the ESC module and the communicator said it had no communication with ESC module. He recommended unplugging the module and plugging it back in just to see if there is a connection problem. Where is the ESC module located in the 2005 c6 corvette? Also does the code c0161 mean that I might have a brake sensor giving me a problem.
ok, so this is important. you will soon be reaching the point where you will take it to a chevy dealership. They can figure it out, they do have a Tech2, their manual(s) will tell them how to determine C0161, but... you MUST do this if you are getting SAH and want it fixed...

arrive at the dealership WITH the message on the DIC. do NOT turn off the car and tell them you have SAH. that they MUST read the codes prior to restart. if they restart the car it will most likely go away and they would have to drive it around until it reappears before they could test the codes. (some or maybe all C codes reset on start, then are rechecked to determine if fault exists)

if you get really bored, i have this doc, but after a couple screens full, it get way too wordy... lol
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/test...0725-test.html
Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

3 dollar plastic comb should be your first fix. I. Know everyone likes to speculate on probs but the the three dollar plastic comb is a free fix and should be first.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mark1107
3 dollar plastic comb should be your first fix. I. Know everyone likes to speculate on probs but the the three dollar plastic comb is a free fix and should be first.
if codes had included..

DTC C0710
DTC Descriptors
DTC C0710 00: Steering Position Signal
DTC C0710 1A: Steering Position Signal Bias Level Out of Range
DTC C0710 1F: Steering Position Signal Intermittent
DTC C0710 52: Steering Position Signal Compare Failure

i would agree, but with C0161 your dealing with brake sensor or communication to/from it.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 PM
rtruett1
Intermediate

Okay here is an update on my situation with the Service Active Handling System. Started to Church this morning and within a 1/4 mile I had the SAHS message appear on the DIC. Went into the service and came out same thing didn't get out of the parking lot before it came on. So this afternoon I checked both of the fuses 3 & 13 didn't find anything there. Looked under the dash at the brake pedal position indicator and it is as the drawing shows except I have a BK, TN and GY instead of BN, TN and GY. Anyways checked the wiring connection everything looked tight even though the bracket that moves the position indicator has wore the plastic stud on the indicator itself a little, not bad enough to cause a problem at the moment. While I had the hood up I checked the brake fluid as I noticed that one of the faults that would give you the SAHS was brake pressure and sure enough the reservoir was a little low so I filled it up the the hash marks on the brake fluid level indicator. Cranked the car went for a ride nothing happened and even stopped a couple of times and restarted the car still no problems. Just took it out again and no problems seems that the problem was with the brake fluid level resulting in a bad brake pressure, I noticed that after adding the fluid that the brake pedal is much stiffer that before so keeping my fingers crossed..... Thanks for all your help ChevyDave and everyone else that responded to this post. Also I noticed on the drawing that the brake sensor position indicator is nothing more than a potentiometer and if they are anything like the ones that we have at work they are destined for failure. I work in the Electrical Instrumentation department at Graphic Packaging and we used to have these on some of the older DC drives for speed control before updating these to digital controls. As they age they get really flaky causing irregular voltage readings and causing erratic speeds of the machines resulting in down time. Thanks Again......
Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay here is an update on my situation with the Service Active Handling System. Started to Church this morning and within a 1/4 mile I had the SAHS message appear on the DIC. Went into the service and came out same thing didn't get out of the parking lot before it came on. So this afternoon I checked both of the fuses 3 & 13 didn't find anything there. Looked under the dash at the brake pedal position indicator and it is as the drawing shows except I have a BK, TN and GY instead of BN, TN and GY. Anyways checked the wiring connection everything looked tight even though the bracket that moves the position indicator has wore the plastic stud on the indicator itself a little, not bad enough to cause a problem at the moment. While I had the hood up I checked the brake fluid as I noticed that one of the faults that would give you the SAHS was brake pressure and sure enough the reservoir was a little low so I filled it up the the hash marks on the brake fluid level indicator. Cranked the car went for a ride nothing happened and even stopped a couple of times and restarted the car still no problems. Just took it out again and no problems seems that the problem was with the brake fluid level resulting in a bad brake pressure, I noticed that after adding the fluid that the brake pedal is much stiffer that before so keeping my fingers crossed..... Thanks for all your help ChevyDave and everyone else that responded to this post. Also I noticed on the drawing that the brake sensor position indicator is nothing more than a potentiometer and if they are anything like the ones that we have at work they are destined for failure. I work in the Electrical Instrumentation department at Graphic Packaging and we used to have these on some of the older DC drives for speed control before updating these to digital controls. As they age they get really flaky causing irregular voltage readings and causing erratic speeds of the machines resulting in down time. Thanks Again......
awesome!!!! you know, the solution seems odd, but i've seen to many odd solutions, at this point, almost nothing surprises me. i'll add that tip to the ole memory banks.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:39 PM
zannic
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default problemed solved?

Anymore issues with the SAHS messages?
Thanks!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:38 PM
rtruett1
Intermediate

Haven't driven the car today but took it out a couple times yesterday without any issues. It had gotten to the point of going off less than a mile down the road so hoping that the issue was low brake fluid causing the brake pressure to be low.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Haven't driven the car today but took it out a couple times yesterday without any issues. It had gotten to the point of going off less than a mile down the road so hoping that the issue was low brake fluid causing the brake pressure to be low.
The initial code was C0161 which is the brake pedal position sensor. Fluid level shouldn't have anything to do with it. Did you get another code indicating there was an issue with the brake pressure?

The brake pressure sensor is part of the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve. Master cylinder reservoir brake fluid level wouldn't have an impact on brake pressure unless the reservoir level is so low that air is getting into the brake lines when the brake pedal is pressed.

Bill
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 PM
rtruett1
Intermediate

Bill,
I didn't take it back to the shop just looked at the list of causes that presents these problems. I did take it out again this evening and no problems so far. Before doing the things that I have listed above it was coming on frequently sometimes less than a 1/2 mile from leaving the driveway. This is the third time that I have driven it with out a problem, I haven't drove the car one time without the SAHS coming on in the last month. I did notice that there is some logic taking place between the Brake module and the Body Control module, hard to explain why it presented that code just hope that the issue doesn't come back.
Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM
glad2hver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The initial code was C0161 which is the brake pedal position sensor. Fluid level shouldn't have anything to do with it. Did you get another code indicating there was an issue with the brake pressure?

The brake pressure sensor is part of the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve. Master cylinder reservoir brake fluid level wouldn't have an impact on brake pressure unless the reservoir level is so low that air is getting into the brake lines when the brake pedal is pressed.

Bill
That's the code I get. Just had Brake Pedal Position sensor replaced and recalibrated but no luck. Code came back. This car is more trouble than it's worth. And given the number of owners with problems maybe GM should consider making another line of product. Cars are above their abilities........
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM
rtruett1
Intermediate

AMEN BROTHER just finished up fixing the Column Lock failure by removing the cluster and replacing with the Column Lock eliminator. Now started having the SAHS problem and hopefully have that repaired for now, I have a TECH2 ordered and should be in next week. Seems if a person is going to own one of these cars he may as well be prepared on becoming a mechanic

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling System

Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Back in October I had the Service Traction Control problem and ended up getting a new module put in. Unfortunatly my extended warranty had run out so I ended up with a $ 1300.00 bill. Now, this past Monday the light came on again. However, I live in Florida and even though my PA Chevy dealer guaratees the parts and labor for 12 & 12 I'll have to take it to my dealer down here. I spoke with my tech from PA and he said it could be even a wheel sensor and that if they run the codes it should come up. So, I have an appointment Friday and I'll let you know what happens.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

One message I hope I never see
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM
glad2hver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Back in October I had the Service Traction Control problem and ended up getting a new module put in. Unfortunatly my extended warranty had run out so I ended up with a $ 1300.00 bill. Now, this past Monday the light came on again. However, I live in Florida and even though my PA Chevy dealer guaratees the parts and labor for 12 & 12 I'll have to take it to my dealer down here. I spoke with my tech from PA and he said it could be even a wheel sensor and that if they run the codes it should come up. So, I have an appointment Friday and I'll let you know what happens.
Wheel sensor....... hmmmm. My issue started just after I had new tires and wheel alignment...........

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling System