C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 C6 having rear brake light issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 AM
La Cucaracha
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 C6 having rear brake light issues

Hello all,

I'm currently having some brake light issues with my C6. The rear brake lights are staying lit while driving and don't operate normally while applying the brakes. The service active handling light is on and I notice when I pull up on the emergency brake handle the rear brake lights go off ad go back on when the brake handle is released. I read online that it could be the brake position sensor, so I replaced that and nothing changed. I later read that the sensor needed to be re calibrated after installing. Can anyone chime in with input? It would be very helpful
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Those symptoms often indicate a bad Body Control Module (BCM).

FWIW, I'm not totally convinced it's actually the BCM in many cases. I think it's the connector/wiring at the BCM. But it seems most end up with a new BCM and the problem is fixed.

Anyway, here are a couple discussions for info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ke-lights.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ng-system.html

Then there is a "possibility" of corrosion in the connector for the brake lights inside the rear facia but.......the symptoms for that are usually different. Just in case, here's a discussion of that for info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-staying.html
Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

When my 2008 Z06 did the exact same thing it was the BCM and the brake position sensor. I had them both replaced and everthting is fine now. There was a batch of bad BCM's manafactured and used in the 08 cars.

FYI you have to have the brake position sensor calibrated using a tec II or it will not work correctly. If you just replace it yourself it will not fix the problem.

Last edited by 08 ATOMIC-Z; 12-30-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: more information
Old 12-30-2012, 06:58 PM
La Cucaracha
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both for the information. Is the bcm located on the passenger side footrest area? If so I wonder if maybe a passenger might have kicked it or something.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 C6 having rear brake light issues

Quick Reply: 2008 C6 having rear brake light issues