C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake lights stay on while driving

Old 04-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Harleydave
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake lights stay on while driving

2005 C6....having a few problems and need some help. When trying to start the car the computer does not recognize that my foot is on the brake..so it won't start....eventually I can get it started but most of time the DIC say "press bake pedal to start".

Now my brake lights are staying on while I'm driving....anyone have these problems before??

Appreciate any advice...

Dave
Old 04-25-2014, 05:55 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I recommend taking it someplace for a real diagnosis before trying to guess and throw parts at it. It could be simple or complex and expensive. Maybe just a brake position sensor or maybe the BCM.

Here's just one discussion with a couple more cases added: (I know you apparently don't have the Service Active Handling msg)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ng-system.html
Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Harleydave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RicK T
I recommend taking it someplace for a real diagnosis before trying to guess and throw parts at it. It could be simple or complex and expensive. Maybe just a brake position sensor or maybe the BCM.

Here's just one discussion with a couple more cases added: (I know you apparently don't have the Service Active Handling msg)

Thanks for the thread....my Service Active handling" light is on also.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I was thinking that it could be as simple as the brake light switch at the pedal, until you mentioned the active handling light. Call me stumped now...
Old 04-25-2014, 07:33 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

I would invest in a code reader as the first step, and see what code is associated with the "service AH" message. I know there are places that will read the code for free but I prefer to have my own.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Harleydave
Intermediate

Thanks for the thread link....it is the exact same symptoms I am experiencing....this gives me a great place to start.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I had this problem in my 08 Z06. It was the BCM that had gone bad.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Harleydave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 08 ATOMIC-Z
I had this problem in my 08 Z06. It was the BCM that had gone bad.
Thanks....I will have the BCM checked next week....

Dave
Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Husker C6
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Had the same problem on my 07. Had the brake position sensor replaced, still had the problem. Replaced the BCM and haven't had any issues since.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:42 PM
golia
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, what's BCM?
Old 04-27-2014, 02:45 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by golia
Sorry, what's BCM?
BCM = Body Control Module

It's the main brain for the whole car. It's located under the passenger side footwell board, below the fuse block.

Edit: Oh, I should say that replacing the BCM is NOT a Do It Yourself repair. The new one requires complete programming by a dealer with a Tech II.

I hope you have a way to properly diagnose your issue and IF your BCM is bad I hope you have someplace to do the job correctly and competently.

Last edited by RicK T; 04-27-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:54 PM
golia
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BCM = Body Control Module

It's the main brain for the whole car. It's located under the passenger side footwell board, below the fuse block.

Edit: Oh, I should say that replacing the BCM is NOT a Do It Yourself repair. The new one requires complete programming by a dealer with a Tech II.

I hope you have a way to properly diagnose your issue and IF your BCM is bad I hope you have someplace to do the job correctly and competently.
Thank you, you really are very kind
Old 04-27-2014, 03:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cclive
I was thinking that it could be as simple as the brake light switch at the pedal, until you mentioned the active handling light. Call me stumped now...
That's what I thought: brake light switch. But then I thought: do our cars even have a brake light switch any more, or is that "old tech?"
Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Harleydave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by golia
Sorry, what's BCM?
Body Control Module....
Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM
Harleydave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harleydave
2005 C6....having a few problems and need some help. When trying to start the car the computer does not recognize that my foot is on the brake..so it won't start....eventually I can get it started but most of time the DIC say "press bake pedal to start".

Now my brake lights are staying on while I'm driving....anyone have these problems before??

Appreciate any advice...

Dave
Update: thanks for all the members comments....One member suggested I check all the connection harnesses into the BCM module....moving and pressing on them...and now the car is back to normal.....brake lights are not staying on...car starts every time ....Service Active Handling light not on...wow! Just saved me several hundred dollars! Thanks again.....
Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

The exact same thing happened to me last august. It is the BCM, NOT THE BRAKE POSITION SENSOR, don't let the dealer talk you into trying the BPS first. I read about that fix first and when that didn't work the BCM was replaced and that solved the problem. I, stupidly, was convinced by my local chevy dealer that it was the BPS, even after I showed him the thread. After replacement and a $400 walletectemy, it DID NOT solve the problem. They then replaced the BCM, problem solved. Only problem was it cost me another $500. Don't let this happen to you!!

I just read your last post and I hope your problem is solved. But just as a heads up, I also fiddled with the wiring and it temporarily solved the problem for me but about a month later it came back with a vengeance. I was stranded at a car show for 2 hours after it ended trying to get the car to recognize my foot was on the brake so I could start it and shift out of park. Sorry I'm the one to tell you this and I hope I'm wrong, but you don't want to get stuck somewhere and not be able to shift out of park. Good luck.

Last edited by WhiteDevil828; 04-27-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I probably wouldn't depend on just a wiggling of the wires as a permanent repair. I would disconnect the big connectors, spray with a good electrical contact cleaner and then carefully re-connect them. The contact cleaner should have an anti corrosion agent in it..especially considering that you live in a humid place..

Get notified of new replies

To Brake lights stay on while driving

Old 04-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Harleydave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cclive
I probably wouldn't depend on just a wiggling of the wires as a permanent repair. I would disconnect the big connectors, spray with a good electrical contact cleaner and then carefully re-connect them. The contact cleaner should have an anti corrosion agent in it..especially considering that you live in a humid place..
Good advice...I do plan to clean all the connectors....but at least it is working until I can get to it.....I wonder how many BCM's have been replaced that did not need to be??

Dave
Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Good advice...I do plan to clean all the connectors....but at least it is working until I can get to it.....I wonder how many BCM's have been replaced that did not need to be??

Dave
I agree and I'll bet that more BCMs were actually OK than were actually defective. It is certainly possible to have a BCM go bad BUT as a solid state device, the connectors are much more likely to be the culprit than the BCM itself. Nice that yours worked out the way it did.

To me, the vibration of the car as well as the additional moisture and corrosion in a car environment are the reasons for this. Compare the environment of the BCM versus the environment of a TV in your house. The BCM has a much rougher life.

Last edited by cclive; 04-28-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:13 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

Dave
Again, I hope for your wallets sake I'm wrong but when I wrote I fiddled with the wiring, What I did was clean all if the connectors on the BCM and the wiring harness and used an air compressor to blow out any residual dust that might have collected. I had read about doing that from an older thread. It seemed to solve the problem, but after it happened again that's when I resorted to chevy service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake lights stay on while driving