Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Parking outside.

Old 08-04-2001, 04:10 PM
Bob88Convertible
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parking outside.

Just read a post about someone living in an apartment, and having to park outside. I know we all can't own a garage like my mojo, would be nice tho.

How many people have to park outside, and what do you do to protect your car.
Old 08-04-2001, 04:26 PM
silver-eagle
Intermediate

Default Re: Parking outside. (Bob88Convertible)

I don't have a garage either. On the postage-stamp sized lot, there's no room for one.

If it sits for more than a couple of days, it sits snugly under a full car cover. Lately though, it's been accumulating milage, and hasn't had any rest. The cover was more a concession to the ice and snow of the northeast rather than a shield against them. It made ME feel better.

In the summer, I have a cover that just goes over the windows. It keeps the inside cooler on those bright sunny days.

Old 08-04-2001, 04:26 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Just read a post about someone living in an apartment, and having to park outside.
You mean me???
Old 08-04-2001, 05:03 PM
Bob88Convertible
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Parking outside. (Old Sport)

Just read a post about someone living in an apartment, and having to park outside.

You mean me???
Yep it was you. Mine's not even a daily driver, can't imagine having to park outside, I'd worry to much.
:chevy
Old 08-04-2001, 07:40 PM
corvette dude
Instructor

mine is parked outside for the months of April - October in my apartment parking lot. None parks within 10 spots of the car and it is always covered and never sees rain. During the winter I will park it in my friends storage garage and probably not use it at all.

I am looking for a place with a grarage but will probably not be ready to buy until fall of next year.
Old 08-04-2001, 08:08 PM
94VetteFern
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately i park outside all year round, just for now. But we're looking for a house to rent or buy
and we're looking for one with a garage for my Vette so she can be spoiled ! ! :D
Old 08-04-2001, 08:09 PM
94VetteFern
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Parking outside. (94VetteFern)

Forgot to mention, I do have a cover i put on her, and
i have a pretty safe spot to park everyday. (( KNOCK ON WOOD))
Old 08-04-2001, 08:27 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The '70 and '65 get the garage. The '87 is relegated to the elements. :( I haven't bought a car cover yet. I figure I will by fall when the leaves start dropping and the snow comes.
Old 08-04-2001, 08:52 PM
wake
Race Director

When I bought the Vette, I was living in an apt with underground parking... I was moving in the next month so during my search, I wouldn't even look at anything that didn't have a garage... I passed up many apts to get the "small" one I have now... ~550 sq/ft, but I have a large 1 car garage for my baby, my toolbox, and a small computer desk in the corner for when I get my diagnostic software...

I found my current residence by accident, it was right around the corner from another I looked at so I figured I'll just look, when I first saw it I wasn't going to take it until the landlady asked if I wanted to see the garage... Been here almost 3 years now... I'm waiting until the other apt (duplex) moves and then I'll move next door (~700+ sq ft)... I might even be able to swing another garage (this duplex has 4)...

Old 08-04-2001, 09:03 PM
13Mick33
Instructor

I don't have a garage for my car...yet. I just moved into my new house not too long ago, it has a good size yard were a garage will be built. But in the winter I do have a garage to put it in.
I don't worry about my car sitting out in this neighborhood, I don't think anything will happen to it (knock on wood)
Old 08-04-2001, 10:17 PM
VetteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a cover is a good investment
Old 08-04-2001, 11:22 PM
Corvette Kid 92
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Parking outside. (silver-eagle)

My dad let me take his spot in the garage :cool:
Old 08-05-2001, 07:20 AM
GUMPA
Drifting

Default Re: Parking outside. (Corvette Kid 92)

My dad let me take his spot in the garage :cool:
Do you let him drive the car once in a while for payment...... :cool:
Old 08-05-2001, 08:47 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Just before Alan and I married in December 1989, we bought a house which was perfect for us and our lifestyle except it didn't have a garage. Not that important at that time! Then...we bought an 85 coupe in Jan. 92 which was a daily driver. Kept it covered every night, though. Sold it in 98 and bought our 74 convertible and then the 88 convertible. Both were kept covered with Noah car covers (work well!) all year as they were not used daily.

Alan and another Corvette friend of ours kept pressuring me to agree to build a 2-car garage for our toys!:smash: I resisted for over a year as it would destroy some beautiful terraced gardens we had. Finally...they wore me down, and a beautiful oversized garage was built last October! It even has skylights so we get natural light to clean the cars! :lol: Best thing we did!!!

Lemon Peel aka Elaine
Old 08-05-2001, 08:50 AM
JIM FL
Advanced

BOB,I LIVE OUT IN THE COUNTRY AND ONLY HAVE A CARPORT TO PARK MY 87 RAGTOP UNDER. I FEEL THAT THE NOAH COVER MAKES UP SOMEWHAT FOR THE LACK OF WALLS.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:11 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Ours sits outside of our apartment and we hate it. It's already been hit once and picks up a few scratches every other month. We got the damage fixed and the people that hit it no longer live here so that helps some. It hasn't had a car cover and always got washed at LEAST once a week. Now that it's down because we don't have the cash to get the motor fixed right away :cry, a car cover will probably be bought soon. I've seen the Noah cover looks like the way to go. Right now I try and bucket wash it as soon as it starts looking like it's been sitting to long.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:30 PM
TJR
Racer

Never garaged, live in an apt. But it's always in the shade, at work and at the apt. I have great parking at work... more spaces than cars, lots of trees for shade, and plenty of car guys that you can trust to park near. At the apt, there's a guy with one of those white turbo TransAms (96 I think), so I try to park near him, knowing he won't ding me. But truthfully, I don't worry much about it, just use common sense in when and where I park, like I do with all my cars.

[Modified by TJR, 12:31 PM 8/6/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Parking outside.

Old 08-06-2001, 01:32 PM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Parking outside. (R94 LT 1)

I park mine outside at my apartment complex and while I do have a cover, I havent used it yet as i'm using the car as my daily driver. While at work it is parked in a covered garage. One good thing about FL is we don't have to worry about snow or ice.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:52 PM
91-Z07Coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Parking outside. (two-tone86)

I TOO live in an apartment and have to park it outside. I drive it every day so I don't cover it. Everyone in the complex knows it's mine, and no one parks near it. Even the kids stay well away from it.

HMmmm must have been from that day I went running outside with my Colt 45 ACP. (J/K!!) :D
Old 08-06-2001, 03:24 PM
Breezy
Instructor

I've got a carport which is some protection. I also keep a cover on it Mon-Thursday. Friday thru sunday I drive it and leave the cover off. :chevy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking outside.