C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tachometer cable replacement for a 1971

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 04:08 PM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Tachometer cable replacement for a 1971

Well, my old tach cable bit the dust. I just received my new cable and well is it even possible to replace this cable without dissmantleing the whole dash? I can bearly see where it attaches to the instrument let alone get my paws in there. Also is it crimped on the instrument? There are no threads on that end of the cable. It looks like a press fit or crimp.

Thanks,
Ron working under this dash bites! :mad
Old 03-29-2003, 06:52 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 279 Likes on 146 Posts

Default Re: Tachometer cable replacement for a 1971 (71LS5)

Did one on my old '72 a couple of years ago. Absolutely done mostly by "feel". I believe that I just wiggled it back and forth while pulling to get it off. If you have big hands, it's definately not a plus. Maybe a helper with small hands would be the way to go. Snaking the new one in and pushing it on was definately the easy part. Good luck!
Old 03-29-2003, 10:32 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Tachometer cable replacement for a 1971 (MidShark)

I wrote an article for Corvette Fever mag last summer on this. I dropped the steering column a few inches. Then pulled the dash forward. There's a clip you push towards the aft of the car which will allow the cable to release (assuming 71 is like 70 which I think it is). Tie a cord on the cable before you pull it out through the firewall to make getting the new one in easier. Check the lengths carefully since the repro ones aren't the right length. I had Tony's corvette shop make a new core for my original cable housing which allowed me to preserve all the originality of the NCRS judged parts of the cable. Be sure to lube the replacement cable 2/3 on the end near the engine. Leave the 1/3 gauge end clear so it doesn't ooze into the gague (per the GM tech manual directions). It's not too difficult. Use some soap on the firewall grommets to get them to go on easily. Try to reuse your original one if possible since the repro ones don't look the same. ~Juliet
Old 03-30-2003, 11:49 AM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Tachometer cable replacement for a 1971 (Juliet)

Juliet,

Thanks for the reply! Do you have a soft copy of the article? I dread pulling the dash or messing with the steering column. Can you explain in more detail 1. how to move the dash back 2. How the dash helps getting to the tach ie where do you access it? 3. How does the clip work in securing the cable. 4. how long of a cable do I need>? mine looks short from Ecklers but I cant tell yet.

Now you know why I would love to see the article lol. I cant imagine spending god knows what to have some one do this for me....

Any help will be greatly appreaciated!!!!!

Ron :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Tachometer cable replacement for a 1971

Quick Reply: Tachometer cable replacement for a 1971