C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

painting back of seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 12:26 PM
mjfox
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default painting back of seats

i have beige seats i would like to paint the backs beige and they are beige anyone done this or know the procedure
Old 03-15-2003, 01:31 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: painting back of seats (mjfox)

I repainted the backs of the seats on my 92 with beige interior last year. Get some vinyl dye in the correct color in a spray can. Mid-America, Corvette America and ZIP sould have cans at a reasonable price. I got mine from Corvette America and the color was an exact match.

You need to remove the backs from the car to prep them. The back cushions are held in place with 4 clips. About 6 inches from the bottom of the seat back, push in at the edge to release the rod from the clip. Do the same about 5" down from the top. Once these are released, just pull the seat back from the clips on the other side.

Remove the cable end from the seat back release and remove the trim piece. The seat back is screwed to the seat frame hinge at the bottom, 2 screws per side. You should then be able to remove the shell from the car.

Clean the plastic shell with lots of soap and water (I used Dawn) and use Prep-Sol (available at auto paint supply stores) to remove any grease or oily film. I used a scotch-brite pad to roughen up the surface a bit so the vinyl dye would adhere better.

I shot 2 thin coats on the seat backs and let each one get tacky before the next coat. After the 2nd coat I applied a heavier coat and let it dry overnight.

Reassemble in the reverse order.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:54 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: painting back of seats (mjfox)

:confused:

No offense, but some simple punctuation would make your post make alot more sense. I don't understand what you're asking. You're asking about painting the back of your seats beige, when they're already beige? :confused:
Old 03-16-2003, 12:03 AM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: painting back of seats (GDP)

:confused:

No offense, but some simple punctuation would make your post make alot more sense. I don't understand what you're asking. You're asking about painting the back of your seats beige, when they're already beige? :confused:
I was thinking the same thing trying to figure it out but didnt say anything...thanks! :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To painting back of seats

Quick Reply: painting back of seats