C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery?

Old 03-10-2003, 03:22 PM
EvilBunny
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery?

I go on vacation for a few weeks and come back to find we finally got a REAL winter up here. I forgot to remove the negative cable from my battery before I left, and of course, now the Vette won't start. I tried to use jumper cables to charge it up, but although it seems to charge (lights come on, etc.), when I try to start it up I get a click-click-click sound and the lights flash. No typical starter motor noise. My car is still under warranty (for about another week), but I'd like to fix it myself if I can. Any ideas or advice? I do believe the battery is still good, but I could be wrong.
Thanks! :banghead:
Old 03-10-2003, 03:55 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Dead Battery? (EvilBunny)

Same thing happened to me. I go out of town for business and the battery is dead when I get back. It would only click when I start it and that's all what it would do. I would recharge the battery or jumpstart it using my other car and it would work normally for a few weeks.

Note of warning: check your stock battery for leaks or corrosion on the leads. Mine was leaking bad that it corroded my leads so bad that it fused with the terminals. I had to yank it out pulling the battery terminal with it. The acid had eaten some of the cable and the plastic accordion insulation around it. I had to buy a new (+) battery cable. If the battery would had leaked further, it could damage the car's ECU which is situated under it.

I bought an Optima Redtop and never worried about hard starts since. :thumbs:
Old 03-10-2003, 04:12 PM
EvilBunny
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Dead Battery? (c5chris)

I must have a different problem, or maybe I didn't let it charge long enough. I'm trying to jump start it with another car. My cables are clean (I keep the engine and wiring as spotless as I can) - no corrosion at all. How long did you need to jumper-charge the battery before it worked?
Old 03-11-2003, 12:01 PM
c5chris'slady
Cruising

When my battery started acting up (2 years after I got the car), I would charge it overnight with a trickle charger and it would fire up the next morning. It got worse to a point that it would never charge up overnight coz the cranking amps just cant get the car to start. However, it would still do jumper startups since youre using the amps coming from the other car. I would leave it for a good minute or 2 and let it rip.

Again, check your battery for leakage. That AC-Delco battery is a POS and should last the car 3-5 years at least.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Cruises
Pro

if you need a new battery, check general discussion for new GP on Optima Red Top :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 03-11-2003, 01:22 PM
rdochterman
Instructor

Default Re: Dead Battery? (Cruises)

Optima Red Top Good :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 03-11-2003, 01:33 PM
EvilBunny
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Dead Battery? (rdochterman)

Thanks for the inputs. :D I've actually had it jumpered to one of my other cars (running) for over 10 minutes, and still couldn't get anything but that 'click-click'. I'll buy an Optima if I can't get GM to fix/replace the AC Delco crap. It is under warranty, so they owe me... :boxing
Old 03-11-2003, 02:01 PM
my67vette
Heel & Toe

EvilBunny,
Be prepared for a bill. The battery is prorated for 36 months. Most battery manufacturers prorate their product. As far as the 10 minutes on cables: When boosting a battery, there are many things that effect the charge rate. One depends on the size of the copper wire in the cables. I have seen some cables that were 3/4 inch diameter rubber coating but the wire inside was no more then 10 gauge. Another depends on the output of the doner alternator. I have a battery tender that I hook up to my car when it is going to parked for more then a month.... The batter tender does double duty with my car and with my scoot.

67vette
Old 03-11-2003, 02:12 PM
EvilBunny
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Dead Battery? (my67vette)

Thanks! I forgot about the prorated aspect batteries. I'm pretty sure my cables are the heavy, stranded wire variety, but I'll check when I get home. I had it hooked to a 2002 Mazda Tribute 6 cyl, and the battery is rated pretty high output. I'll have to check on the alterator.

Thanks again. I'll exhaust all ideas before I call that 1-800-chevy number.
:cheers:
Old 03-12-2003, 10:39 AM
shafman1
Racer

I had the probelem, so I bought a battery tender form http://www.batterystuff.com. It works great. My battery is always fully charged no matter how long the Vette sits. :flag
Old 03-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Pete Toemmes
Intermediate

My 2001 Delco crapped out - in mid crank - at the 25 month mark. Bizarrre. Would not jump or trickle charge. Click, click, click.

Towed it to the dealer - dead or shorted cell was the diagnosis - and they replaced it under warrany at NO charge. But then I've been nice to to the Service Dept and they, in turn, nice to me - so far.

Pete
Old 03-12-2003, 02:19 PM
EvilBunny
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Dead Battery? (Pete Toemmes)

That is EXACTLY what mine is doing. Seeing as how the warranty is in it's final days, I'm going to give Chevy a call and see if they can come out and fix it in my garage (I'd hate to have to get it towed). Next time, it's Optima for me :thumbs: . I'll let you guys know how Chevy (and the dealer - Chriswell, if they get involved) treat me. I think I'll buy a trickle charger just in case I have to store the car for a long period again, but this battery seems beyond CPR. Thanks for all the help. :cheers:
Old 03-12-2003, 04:45 PM
Cousteau
Heel & Toe

In the old days before computers ran everything when you turned off the key power to eveything would be shut off. Now the computers, sound system memory, clock and who knows what else (black box?) all require power to retain memory. That's why you have to reset the clock when the battery is disconnected. Although this power drain on the battery is small if the car is not run for weeks at a time the battery will eventually go dead. The more times it is let to go dead the shorter its life will be. Best solution is to put a trickle charger it it won't be run for several weeks.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

You could take the battery out of the car and bring it in to the Dealers to check out. If they replace it under warranty, see if you can get an ACDelco AGM (Glass Mat) battery. These represent the latest in auto battery technology and are designed to outlast all other types including gel-cel (Optima) types. Like the Optima, they are leak and vibrationproof.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2003, 11:02 AM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dead Battery? (Cousteau)

In the old days before computers ran everything when you turned off the key power to eveything would be shut off. Now the computers, sound system memory, clock and who knows what else (black box?) all require power to retain memory. That's why you have to reset the clock when the battery is disconnected. Although this power drain on the battery is small if the car is not run for weeks at a time the battery will eventually go dead. The more times it is let to go dead the shorter its life will be. Best solution is to put a trickle charger it it won't be run for several weeks.
:iagree: And sometimes when they go dead, they suffer damage and won't hold or take a charge at all. :cheers:
Old 03-13-2003, 05:30 PM
RajunCajun2001
Burning Brakes

Hey Evil,

I've got the EXACT same problem. Its been 6 weeks since I used the vette, and the battery was dead. After an hour on the charger, it would turn the engine over, but no longer holds a decent charge. Your symptoms point to a dead battery.

I'm taking mine to the dealer tomorrow to have a new battery put in under warranty. Make sure to get the glass mat model.

:cheers:
Old 03-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Just4Grins
Instructor

Default Re: Dead Battery? (RajunCajun2001)

I know everyone swears that the Delco AGM batteries are great, but my 2001 Coupe came with one, and it died without warning after 6 months. I replaced it with an Optima Red Top. My coupe also used to throw codes intermittently, which it quit doing when I put in the new battery - probably symptoms of low voltage.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery?

Old 03-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: Dead Battery? (Just4Grins)

You might want to read these posts:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=158864

I'd say that considering the number of batteries sold by these two companies, the ACDelcos are actually far more reliable.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:07 AM
Mavrick
Instructor

Default Re: Dead Battery? (Dave68)

Had the same thing happen to me 3 weeks ago, and I HAVE an Optima redtop. My fault I guess, went through a very cold period and I didn't start it up for about 4 weeks (I know--BAD). Went to start it and nothing. Hooked up some jumper cable and it started with out a problem. Drove it for about an hour and haven't had a problem since.

Other than this, the Redtop has been great.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:01 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dead Battery? (Dave68)

You might want to read these posts:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=158864

I'd say that considering the number of batteries sold by these two companies, the ACDelcos are actually far more reliable.
I read this post. What's to say that guy wouldn't have killed any batteries under his circumstanes? That is far from imperical evidence of anything excpet that he bought 3 batteries installed them without making sure they were fully charged and they died. :skep:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead Battery?