C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

best full exhaust system for lt1 that remains street legal????

Old 01-22-2003, 02:43 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best full exhaust system for lt1 that remains street legal????

I've read a lot of posts about people wanting to put long tube headers on an LT1, but due to an automatic transmission they run into a problem with the cats and what not???????????

What's the best exhaust system, performance wise that any of you out there have come across or tried out????? Including headers, mufflers, cat-back, cats, whatever...
Old 01-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Black96Corvette
Instructor

Default Re: best full exhaust system for lt1 that remains street legal???? (BowTieBlood)

B&B Tri-Flows w/ an X pipe. Its street legal and you will pass emissions easily with cats and shorty's. I have these on my car and they sound great! A serios muscle car sound, just like power effects would. You will get some resonance inside the car, but who cares... its so worth it. The funny thing is people made the B&B out to be a 'badass loud exhaust system', I personally think it sounds whimpy. My friends mustang GT sounds way better with Flowmasters. If people think that B&B's are loud theres something wrong. (FWC)

Mike
Old 01-22-2003, 02:58 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: best full exhaust system for lt1 that remains street legal???? (BowTieBlood)

B&B, Borla, etc. are all emissions legal, catbacks have no effect on emissions. But there is no longtube header that will pass emissions in every state. Headers will have a tough time passing in some states, and wont pass if you delete the cats.

You just have to find a way to keep the cats on the exhaust, and you should pass the sniffer.

Old 01-22-2003, 03:01 PM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: best full exhaust system for lt1 that remains street legal???? (Black96Corvette)

I have the same setup (3" B&B w/3" Dr Gas X-Pipe in place of resonator). In addition, I have the TPIS long tubes with no cats, although you could bolt up some Random Tech Bullet cats. My exhaust sounds pretty menacing... especially at idle. At WOT, hide the women and childeren. :D

Mike

[Modified by luvmy92, 2:01 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 03:08 PM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: best full exhaust system for lt1 that remains street legal???? (luvmy92)

not to steal your thread but out of curiousisty i wonder what everybody thinks would be the best( absolute most performance) system that DIDNT have to be street legal? hooker super comps with 2.75"piping with a x-pipe with tips of your choice?
Old 01-22-2003, 03:19 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

can the cats be as far back as u want????? could u slide some thin ones a lot farther back on the system and still pass??? and what's the story on 02 simms, lets say on a 95
Old 01-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Zora
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

B & B Tri-Flow....is the one I picked. :yesnod:
Old 01-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Red Rocket
Drifting

Have the Hooker long tube headers and a custom 3 inch race exhaust with xpipe and interchangeable high flow cats/off road pipes. Did keep the Power Effects tuneable mufflers from the previous system. Closing the mufflers is the only way the car can be driven around town with the off road pipes attached without being pulled over for noise pollution and needing earplugs. I am surprised no other exhaust company sells tuneable mufflers. With a stroker motor, its the only way to go.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:12 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I would imagine if you kept the cats, you could put them anywhere underneath, so long as its clear of any electrical or anything that would get too hot.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

can the cats be as far back as u want????? could u slide some thin ones a lot farther back on the system and still pass??? and what's the story on 02 simms, lets say on a 95
From what I've heard, the cats are regulated by the government on exactly where under the car they are supposed to be.

For daily driving, I wouldn't touch any emmissions equipment regardless of where you live. Eventually the entire country will be regulated and all those who have modified there cars will be scrambling to put them back to be legal. It's bette to leave it alone.

But if you are racing, go all out.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:09 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: best full exhaust system for lt1 that remains street legal???? (Black96Corvette)

The B&B is a great looking exhaust, makes power, and sounds great!! I love going by the local cruise-ins,etc with them.

BUT if you use your car for interstate cruising, especially with windows up, the resonance makes it unacceptable!!! There is a big difference between "loud" outside and interior cabin resonance. If you ever take your car for a 3-4 hour drive on the interstate you will have headache big time, unless you are deaf!! I and my passengers always have to wear earplugs for any road trips.

So in my opinion, be sure to consider how you use your car before buying the B&B system!!!

Get notified of new replies

To best full exhaust system for lt1 that remains street legal????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best full exhaust system for lt1 that remains street legal????