C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much?

Old 01-19-2003, 09:44 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much?

Yes, I watched ALL FIVE HOURS of the Barrett Jackson auction yesterday. And my wife came in halfway and stayed, too. Just fascinating!

I noticed the only cars that weren't selling were the ones offered up by Reggie Jackson. At one point the crowd even BOOED him because they thought his reserve was so high! It seemed like the guy was wasting everyone's time...
Old 01-19-2003, 09:58 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (page62)

Well, keep in mind he played too long ago, before $10,000,000/year was possible. So he's got to make some money somewhere! :lol: :lol:
Old 01-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Teuffelhunde
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (74-Roadster)

I think I watched an hour of that. When I changed channels the '54 'vette was the high seller. Did it stay that way? Some very nive cars!! :sad: Wish I had that kind of money! :auto:
Old 01-19-2003, 10:05 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (74-Roadster)

Maybe he paid to much for them in the first place and he needs to get so much out of them. He probably thinks just because he owned them it makes the value go up. Same thing with a Don Johnson car. Just because it was made for him or he owned it the value should go up. I think most of those cars there are over priced. I was amazed at the people who work the show. Nothing more than glorified used car salesman. They keep hounding the person for a higher bid. Once they say that is it they keep on hounding them. I realize it is a different type of person who is there but I think they drive the price up. Some nice cars there but for the money they are spending I could build a real nice car. JMO
Old 01-19-2003, 10:07 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (Teuffelhunde)

Yeah - Reggie sure seemed to have a big head, but ...

I'm sure glad he pulled a few of those cars out to show off.

They were boo-ing the Camaro ZL-1 - reserved at 330K (replacement block -
with original block included :rolleyes: ) .

Reg, It's just an engine. :seeya

[Modified by NHvette, 10:07 AM 1/19/2003]
Old 01-19-2003, 10:35 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (NHvette)

I think you guys are too hard on him. He earned those cars and shouldnt be giving them away. I cant believe people were booing him, that is wrong.

I would like to see what you would do if someone told you what you should sell your car at :smash: especially if there were only 56 of them ever made.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:40 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (QuickVet)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

:steering: geo
Old 01-19-2003, 11:33 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (Ed T)

My Barret-Jackson / Reggie story.
I used to sell restored gas pumps at BJ. Of course Reggie was always there selling cars. The auctioneers big saying at that time (1990?) was "and he'll even sign the title". Like that's a big selling point. Like he could sell te car without signing.
Anyway he comes around to my outdoor spot and asks "who's the boss here". I said my brother and I were partners. He threw me a low ball price on a pump. I said NO in a somewhat insulted tone. He stood and looked for a minute then he and his people walked on down the row. This couple walks up to me and says "Do you know who that was?" I said "Ya, but I'm not giving that pump away to ANYONE." The couple looked over the pump Reggie wanted and bought it at full price! Thanks Reggie!

May God strike me dead if this isn't a true story.

Larry
Old 01-19-2003, 12:42 PM
The Saint
Team Owner

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (lbell101)

This couple walks up to me and says "Do you know who that was?" I said "Ya, but I'm not giving that pump away to ANYONE." The couple looked over the pump Reggie wanted and bought it at full price! Thanks Reggie!
I laugh when people say things like what that couple did. I mean, who is Reggie Jackson anyway? Aside from being able to hit a baseball pretty far and making a lot of money for doing so, he's just like everyone else. No better or worse.

Old 01-19-2003, 12:51 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (The Saint)

Since they don't make Reggie bars anymore he something to make up for that lost income. :lolg:
Old 01-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Mag Red Man
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (The Saint)

There's an old saying that goes something like "the value of something is whatever somoeone is willing to pay for it" regardlees of what you and I may think it's worth.

I noticed that the TV people didn't know too much about the Muscle cars...comments like "what a TH400?" and "is the 409 related to the 348?" etc.

Old 01-19-2003, 01:06 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I didn't see the Reggie car that got booed. I heard he only took one car home. He only had reserves on a few cars and I think he loves those cars and just takes the attitude, "If somebody wants to get crazy I will sell it but otherwise I am keeping it" A lot of us feel that way - Make me an offer I can't refuse, otherwise I am not selling. Reggie has achieved a certain level of credibility in the muscle car market. Don Johnson on the other hand.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I hope the buyer of that TV car has a museum and can make money off the car. I am afraid the buyer actually thinks he bought a Hemi Cuda! :lol:

I also was really put off by the woman who was working the bidders. She kept putting her hands on the guys and you could practically hear her.. "Comeon big boy, can't you get it up for one more thou?" :lol: If I was there I would ask her to please not touch me! MJ
Old 01-19-2003, 01:09 PM
ken markusa
Instructor

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (gdh)

Reggie's all about Reggie love him as a ballplayer but thats it just because he owns a car doesn't make it more valuable he isn't the end all be all authority on muscle cars as the announcers were making out, ZL-1's are south of 300K what the car was bid to was a fair price and from what i understand the original block is JUNK :smash: :smash: , if it wasn't it would be in the car.
Ken :cheers:
Old 01-19-2003, 01:40 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (QuickVet)

I agree with quickvet,reggie has had so many cars over the years he even lost i think 60 in a fire in one of his warehouses years back.All of his cars are top of the line either originals or restos.Its just like someone coming up to you and saying ill giveyou 5000 for your vette but you think its worth 10000 you gone to sell it for 5000,i dont think so.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:57 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (patsnitrovette)

I have a good friend of mine that was in Reggies close innner circle for several years, he still maintains some contact with him. Like most celebrities at that level, he is an arrogant butthole with a seriuos sense of intitlement.

A blown up ZL-1 for $330,000.00, are you kidding Reggie? Give me a break.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Rick68
Pro

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (69 N.O.X. RATT)

:iagree: Why is it the people that have big $$$ don't feel that they should have to pay or want it for next to nothing :rolleyes:
Old 01-19-2003, 03:53 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (73Stingraycoupe)

:iagree: Why is it the people that have big $$$ don't feel that they should have to pay or want it for next to nothing :rolleyes:
Most people with that kind of money, didnt get it by paying full price or asked for price on things, people with that kind of money are aften the stingiest of all. Just because they can buy and sell most people doesnt mean they dont want to sell at top dollar and pay bottom - its just business to them.

I saw only a portion of the auction, and a couple of the cars he sold seemed to go at a decent price to me. 300k though :skep: NOT!

Get notified of new replies

To [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much?

Old 01-19-2003, 04:09 PM
The Saint
Team Owner

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: (MNJack)

I also was really put off by the woman who was working the bidders. She kept putting her hands on the guys and you could practically hear her.. "Comeon big boy, can't you get it up for one more thou?" :lol: If I was there I would ask her to please not touch me!
Not me.

Old 01-19-2003, 04:24 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (page62)

I just hope I wasn`t the only smart one, I taped it and blew through the stuff that didn`t interest me. I think Reggie was hoping that one more "fool" would pay mega bucks for a car he couldn`t afford when he was a kid and now that he has "struck it rich" can afford anything!! btw are you guys aware that the Grandsport that Penske drove sold at Monterey (after the race) for $4M as in MILLION!! ...redvetracr
Old 01-19-2003, 05:09 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (ken markusa)

... he isn't the end all be all authority on muscle cars as the announcers were making out ....
Probably not the end all authority on muscle cars - but - I bet he knows more than the announcers.

The announcers made some :crazy: :eek: :bs statements at times. If you don't know about the car, then you ought to be quiet and not display your ignorance. I especially liked the "urban legend" comment about Corvette build sheets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much?