C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron?

Old 12-01-2002, 11:18 PM
HotWheels
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron?

My '97 typically sees tank fulls of Chevron w/ Techron every 300-350 miles. Last week I thought I was running on fumes and bee-lined it to the closest filling station (coincidently a Chevron Station). I let the pump rip only to have it click after $7.00 My fuel gauge still reads zero, my DIC indicates "LOW FUEL" with a RANGE reading of nothing. I let the car sit for 7 days with no change in status. I've read some threads blaming the brand of gas others, the sending unit. Is this something I should have my extended warranty take a look at or simply change the brand of GAS? :confused:

Your thoughts and opinions are highly encourged here
Old 12-02-2002, 12:20 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (HotWheels)

Can't see how gas brands would affect it...sounds like the floater is stuck near the bottom. Happened in my 96 after a collision, just replaced the sending unit and it's fine...i think there's a tsb for this problem in c5's...
Old 12-02-2002, 12:28 AM
Steve'01
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (PaceThis)

The common problem occurs at about 1/4 tank that reads empty. I had my sender replaced only to have it happen a couple of months later. I have solved the problem twice with fuel injecter cleaner. Just run a bottle through. I have read that deposits build up on the sender causing the problem. Worth a try before going to sender. Not sure if this applys to your problem or not. :cheers:
Old 12-02-2002, 01:40 AM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (Steve'01)

I had the same problem...the dealer replaced the sender...they told me its usually the one in the right tank. :cheers:
Old 12-02-2002, 02:56 AM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (HIGHRPM)

It is the sulfer in the fuel causing it to read wrong. Funny that Chevron and 76 Unocal are the two brands I trust and have never made my gage drop to zero. I filled up at Exxon once and that drove my fuel gage nuts. It kept dropping to zero.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:18 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (Barely Legal)

There has been a dozen or so threads on this, join the club. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=443528 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=442895

[Modified by jimman, 2:19 AM 12/2/2002]
Old 12-02-2002, 08:12 AM
chocoholic
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (Barely Legal)

.. and it happened to me yesterday after I'd used 3/4s of a tank of Sunoco Ultra-whatever. Shall we all now avoid that brand all over the country too? It might just be worth checking that the PCM calibration software that supposedly fixes this issue has been applied first.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:17 AM
1999 White C5 Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (HotWheels)

HotWheels,

To anwer your question - No, it's not Chevron, it's Chevrolet's poor quality and reliability.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:53 AM
HotWheels
Advanced

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (chocoholic)

So...I switched brands this morning...I could only fit 5 gallons as I was pretty full to begin with. I used MOBIL brand gasoline. Now my fully topped tank is reading at approx. 3/4ths with a range of 250 miles.

Maybe if I deplete my tank and continue using Mobil, my prob will go away :rolleyes:
Old 12-07-2002, 04:30 PM
C5 Freak
Burning Brakes

GM is aware of this problem.
They have issued TSB# 01-06-04-022 indicating the fix.
You are out of warranty so you will probably be charged. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:56 PM
RHILL
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (C5 Freak)

Hey Jimman didn't you just go through this problem? If I remember right it's the wires from the sending unit come loose and need to be re soldered to the IO board.
RAY
Old 12-07-2002, 05:03 PM
RHILL
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (RHILL)

UPDATE !!!

I just talked to Brad @ Quality Chevrolet in Escondido and he said it's the sending units and they just replace the units. It will be monday before I can talk to one of techs to see if they have ever repaired the units and or board

RAY

[Modified by RHILL, 2:06 PM 12/7/2002]
Old 12-11-2002, 09:26 PM
pcruzo2002
Advanced

Had a similar problem on my 2000 coupe at 16,500 miles. According to the invoice (covered under warranty) Chevy replaced the "right fuel tank module sender. Had intermittent open." It worked fine after that.
:chevy
Old 12-13-2002, 03:36 PM
AdrenalineJunkie
Instructor

>I've read some threads blaming the brand of gas others, the sending unit. Is >this something I should have my extended warranty take a look at or simply >change the brand of GAS?

I had the problem in my 01. GM replaced the right tank sender, but it didn't fix the problem. GM also recommended changing brands, but they don't specify which brand.

I did lots of research - the results are complex, and compounded by where you live. (Federal fuel regulations) In an old thread ... (April/May 2002) I posted replies I got from several fuel manufacturers.

The tech story I got was the fuel sender has silver? contacts, and the sulphur content in certain blends of fuel eats the contacts, which causes the guage to read empty.

GM changed the contacts after a certain SN, but since my car isn't in the correct range, they will not authorize the 'new' part.

Back to fuel....where you live plays a part, b/c of the Feds RFG 2, "ReFormulated Gasoline, Tier 2" requirement. CA has the most restrictive (lowest) sulphur requirements, followed by other high population areas. Most of the central US has none. Other areas "voluntarily" participate in the more restrictive standard.

As you know, fuel blends change with the season - I seem to have more problems with winter blends than summer blends.

Fuel manufactured in PA has higher sulphur content than made in TX.

I tried talked to most of the majors (Exxon, Amoco, Texaco, Chevron, Shell) in my area (SE VA) Only a couple failed to respond.

What I found was, on average, Amoco had the lowest sulphur content <100ppm) , followed by Exxon, at about 125. I think Texaco or Citgo was highest - about 250 ppm Shell didn't respond, nor did Sunoco.

When this area switched to summer blend, my problem went away. Will see what happens this winter :)

HTH

AJ
Old 12-13-2002, 05:41 PM
scool93535
Drifting

It is the sulfer in the fuel causing it to read wrong. Funny that Chevron and 76 Unocal are the two brands I trust and have never made my gage drop to zero.
:iagree:

Never had a problem with Chevron. :cheers:
Old 12-13-2002, 06:14 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (scool93535)

Never had a problem with Chevron. :cheers:
I've been using Chevron gas for years in all the vehicles I've ever owned including the C5s and haven't had a problem with fuel readings. Just my experience.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:14 PM
Tom T.
Racer

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (Cajun75)

Former owner of my car emphasized the only gas he'd use was Chevron. So, of course, a week after I bought it I filled it with Shell. Gauge went to E ten minutes later. Ran tank to what I estimated was about half full, filled with Chevron and a bottle of Techron, and never had the problem again.

:crazy:

TT

Get notified of new replies

To Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron?

Old 12-14-2002, 01:00 PM
Orbit
Advanced

I have a Y2K with 14K on the odometer. I have had the right hand fuel sending unit replaced 2 times under warranty. Do I think it is fixed for good? No way. A friend at work has a 2002 with just a little more than 2K miles on the odometer, and his quit on him this past week. When I see him Monday I will find out what the dealer did to repair his gauge. Another friend bought a 1998 vert with some miles on it, and after a couple of months the gauge started dropping to empty. He took it to a mechanic that was referred to him by the dealer. He had the fuel tank sensor changed. The mechanic said a solder joint was broken. The cost of the repair was less than $200. If mine goes out again after the warranty expires I will be going to Ocala, Florida to look him up.
I think it is time for a class action law suit. GM needs to recall every C-5 vette and fix the fuel gauges once and for all. I can't beleive that after 7 years of building the C-5, they continue to put defective fuel gauges in $50K automobiles. Wake up GM. We are fed up with your excuses. I put the same brand of gas in my other 2 cars and the fuel gauges work perfect on them, so it shouldn't be the brand of gas. If it is the brand of gas, GM needs to tell the consumer to fill up with a certain brand of gas only just like they do with the Mobil 1 oil. GM needs to stop making excuses and fix the problems. I am tired of excuses. Just fix it.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:50 PM
1999 White C5 Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (Orbit)

Orbit,

I agree with you 100%!

The defective fuel guage in my 1999 C5 coupe was repaired under the new car warranty. Now, it is not working properly again and I must pay $100.00 under the GMPP to have it fixed - with no guarantee that it will be fixed properly. (The car only has 28,000 miles).

[Modified by 1999 White C5 Coupe, 3:51 PM 12/14/2002]
Old 12-15-2002, 11:32 AM
Orbit
Advanced

Default Re: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron? (1999 White C5 Coupe)

I seriously would like to know who to contact so that we can start a class action law suit. I don't think the lawyer would have any trouble finding someone to help out. This is just unreal. I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra just out of warranty. During the last 100 miles of warranty I took it to the dealer for a check engine light. While they replaced the O2 sensor, the service writer asked if I wouldn't mind staying around while they replaced my complete brake system under warranty. You see, about a year ago I had a vibration when applying the brakes at highway speeds, but Toyota didn't have a real fix at the time. They only turned the rotors. Now that they have the fix in place they replace the complete brake system on people with prior problems at no cost to the consumer. They replaced both rotors, drums calipers, shoes, front wheel bearings and dust covers. Now I know why I buy Toyotas. A $2000 brake job for free. You gotta love those Toyotas.
I own the corvette only becuase my wife had to have it. If it were me I would buy a Toyota or Lexus. Some quality.
;)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tank is full, fuel gauge is reading empty -- Is it Chevron?