C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to prime engine with oil before starting car ?

Old 12-08-2002, 05:18 PM
SLO RDE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to prime engine with oil before starting car ?

what's up all ? I went out and fired up the vette today. Ran pretty good too! My question is: Is there a way to get oil in the engine before starting ? Because as we all know starting a dry engine is the worst . I'am looking for some kind of pump setup I thought I have read something like that before and where can I buy it? I know about the distribtor shaft idea but I'am looking for something easier and permenent.Thanks for the help Dale
Old 12-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Is there a way to prime engine with oil before starting car ? (SLO RDE)

Pull the hot wire off the distributor and crank the starter. That will prime the pump without firing up. You will see the pressure reading on your oil gauge.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:30 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is there a way to prime engine with oil before starting car ? (SLO RDE)

Is there a way to get oil in the engine before starting ? Because as we all know starting a dry engine is the worst .

you want to pack the oil pump with Vaseline. It will start pumping immediately.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:57 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Both the above will work, but here is what I would recommend:

Method 1: Get an "oiler" which is a pressure vessel that you fill with a full oil charge for your engine. You connect it to a oil galley port and pressurize the vessel with compressed air (about 70 pounds) then you open the valve on the vessel drain and force the oil in. It goes everywhere the oil pump would deliver it to normally. This method was designed for late model cars with no distributor, works slick!

Method 2: Remove the distibutor and fabricate or purchase and oil pump drive adapter to chuck in a electric drill. Fill the normal oil charge, then run the drill for a while. You should observe pressure on your oil pressure gauge. The dis-advantage of doing it this way is you will need to re-align the distributor and timing.

Lastly, make sure your oil pressure gauge works. Compare it's readings with a known reliable bourdon tube style gauge.
:cheers:
Old 12-08-2002, 06:04 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Is there a way to prime engine with oil before starting car ? (SanDiegoPaul)

Slorde, I am assuming you mean you want to do this prier to starting the motor every day as apposed to just after a rebuild. I can think of away of making it possible but I don't know if there is anyone that sells one. I picture a pump put in line if you have either an oil cooler or remote oil filter. A simple impeller type pump would be able to pump oil before the motor was started and let the oil pass though it when the motor was running. Maybe we should market the idea :lol: :lol:

[Modified by redwingvette, 11:06 PM 12/8/2002]
Old 12-08-2002, 06:18 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

There was a thread some time ago about a "pre-oiler" went round and round, bottom line is you probably don't need it. My Suburban for example has 120,000 miles, oil pressure is good as new. Had a 68 Pontiac with over 300,000 miles, still had good oil pressure, didn't burn a drop. Regular maintenance and proper oil for the application should solve any problems before they happen, after all the parts are still coated with oil after you shut down the engine.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:49 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Crane make one you run a drill on.Sells for around $25. I wouldn't turn the key till you prime it first.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:55 PM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.oilamatic.com/index.html

They're also made for automobiles...
:D
Old 12-08-2002, 06:59 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try this site.
http://www.enginelube.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a way to prime engine with oil before starting car ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there a way to prime engine with oil before starting car ?