C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why

Old 09-27-2002, 02:26 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why

A question for those in the know. My 01 Z06 which was bone stock is at the tuners for a D-1SC Pro Charger install. The install went good with some fabrication work. TPIS LT headers were added as well as 42 LB Injectors. The problem is when put on the Dyno and out on the street she producted 10 pounds of boost.. The RWHP was a fantastic 579 RWHP however with the CR of the stock Z06 this would be a short lived experience with a chance of blowing the motor.

The existing pulley is the one that comes with the Pro-charger. 4 and 1/2 inch. Is it common for them to put out 10#s of boost or do I have some sort of restriction elsewhere?

Of course ATI support said that it would be ok to run at that boost on premium gas but I dont agree with them. One bad batch and I am minus a motor.

Anyway we ordered the 4 3/4 inch pully to get her into the 8 pound range and of course ATI was kind enough to overnite the exact same pulley thats on the car now :rolleyes: . So once again my tuner is going to call and attempt to get the proper pulley.

While we are waiting for ATI to get there heads out of there ::cough:: can anyone shed any light on my situation. Why 10 pounds of boost on a supposed 7-8# pulley. The car was tuned with the LS1Edit and other then the headers is bone stock... Hoping to get this straightened out before the snow flys :crazy:

thanks

[Modified by Rookiedyn, 1:38 PM 10/11/2002]
Old 09-27-2002, 02:47 PM
ZippoMan
Race Director

Default Re: 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why (Rookiedyn)

If I am not mistaken there are two versions of the SC. One for Z06s which produces 6.5-7 pounds and the other for Coupes / Converts that will get you around 9. Sounds to me like the regular C5 kit could have been installed, resulting in ~3 more pounds of boost.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:01 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why (ZippoMan)

Hi ZippoMan.. Yes there are two versions the P-1SC-1 and the D-1SC . The D-1SC is identical to the P-1 but it doesn't come with the injectors or PCM program which I didnt want anyway because we have the 42 lb injectors and LS1edit. Even the P-1 comes with a 7 pound pulley and they say they have a 5 pound pulley available.
http://www.procharger.com/c5_press_release.shtml explained there.

So I doubt I have the wrong unit installed. I imagine I will just have to wait for the larger pulley and see what happens. Worst case scenerio I will have to lower my compression to handle the boost but I didn't want to get into that at this time.

I welcome any other input...
Old 09-27-2002, 04:49 PM
Mike Morgan
Racer

Default Re: 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why (Rookiedyn)

I think your sizing is wrong.
Procharger P1 kit comes with a 3.8" pulley.
On our D1 setups we run a 4.375" pulley which produces about 7psi on a stock Z06 @ 6000 RPM.

The 7 lb pulley on a P1 would make about 12 psi on a D1.

If you are running about 10psi, I would be very careful. I would suspect it started leaning out at high RPM and you really can only take about 10 degrees of timing with that much boost if you are lucky.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:27 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why (Mike Morgan)

I think your sizing is wrong.
Procharger P1 kit comes with a 3.8" pulley.
On our D1 setups we run a 4.375" pulley which produces about 7psi on a stock Z06 @ 6000 RPM.

The 7 lb pulley on a P1 would make about 12 psi on a D1.

If you are running about 10psi, I would be very careful. I would suspect it started leaning out at high RPM and you really can only take about 10 degrees of timing with that much boost if you are lucky.
Hmm well I have no idea whats going on then. Your measurments aren't even close to what we are working with. I saw the pulley when I dropped the car off that came with the D1 kit. It is a 5 1/2 inch pulley. I called my tuner to confirm the size after I read your post and he advised me that it is a 51/2 inch pulley (I think he was offended that I was questioning him :lol: ). Anyhow he had just gotten off the phone with ATI and they were shipping a 5 3/4 inch pulley (they also had a 5 5/8 inch). Maybe these guys measure them different?? Has me confused.

And I agree with your warning about running at 10 pounds. We arent going to do that thats why we are going through all the pulley swapping. 7-8 pounds max. Now its wait and see I guess..
Old 10-10-2002, 11:36 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Whats the latest at Kennedy's? did you get the boost down? :chevy
Old 10-10-2002, 12:29 PM
Stephen02Z06
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why (z060ntrack)

You shouldn't have to measure the pulley as it has the diameter stamped on the smooth surface of the pulley. My stock pulley had 4.62 stamped on it and was exactly 4.62" in diameter. This produced about 5psi on my stock 02 Z06 with the D-1SC. I changed the pulley to a 4.25" and it increased boost to about 8 psi which is in line with what Mike at MM motorsports had replied that 4.375 was 7psi. Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why (z060ntrack)

Whats the latest at Kennedy's? did you get the boost down? :chevy
Hi.. Yes boost down to 8#s with the 4 5/8 pulley (I was quoting the wrong size before). Took ATI 3 times to send the right pulley. I guess there theory on customer support involves sending the wrong pulley three times if the one requested is out of stock. I drove up there monday and the install is perfect. Intercoolers tucked up where they can't be seen. Super clean better then factory type look. Bud Link knows his stuff. She pulled 526 RWHP on the dyno.

I did get to drive her and the power is incredible. Spike the gas slightly in 4th gear while cruising and she will break loose the rear tires (traction is going to be my next hurdle).

Problem is the p1514 code that puts the car into "reduced power mode". Bob is working on the tables with the LS1 edit solving the problem but I guess different variables can cause the code to trip. Frustrating waiting but I have all the confidence in Bobs ability to get her straight.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:31 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rookiedyn,

What was your actual pulley size before? I'm having a similar problem. Seeing 10psi with D1 4.25 pulley on an ls1 with similar mods.

I have them sending me the 4.62 to hopefully bring it down to around 7.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why (QuickSilver2002)

Rookiedyn,

What was your actual pulley size before? I'm having a similar problem. Seeing 10psi with D1 4.25 pulley on an ls1 with similar mods.

I have them sending me the 4.62 to hopefully bring it down to around 7.
We started with the pulley that comes with the D1 I guess it measures 4 and 1/2 inches. It made 10#s so we ordered the 4 5/8 inch. They sent the same 4 1/2 twice (for fun and amusement I guess) then finally the 4 and 5/8s. It brought me down to 7-8 #s. I kept the smaller pulley in case I lower compression later. You should be fine with the bigger pulley.

Are you having any problems with the p1514 code putting you into "reduced power mode" on acceleration? This continues to be a problem for us.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:28 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem with P1514. I had my programming done by Ed Wright in Tulsa and I'm sure he took care of that.

As many others have suggested, there is a table in the newest version of ls1-edit that should allow you to resolve this issue. It has throttle position on one axis and RMP on the other. The data values are the maximum expected airflow at the given RPM and TP. This was just added in the newest version of ls1-edit to resolve this exact issue. If you are still having trouble, I would suggest that you give Ed Wright (www.fastchip.com) a call. He does not work for free, but he is a great guy to deal with and he will resolve your issues quickly.

[Modified by QuickSilver2002, 1:30 AM 10/11/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 02:37 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why (QuickSilver2002)

No problem with P1514. I had my programming done by Ed Wright in Tulsa and I'm sure he took care of that.

As many others have suggested, there is a table in the newest version of ls1-edit that should allow you to resolve this issue. It has throttle position on one axis and RMP on the other. The data values are the maximum expected airflow at the given RPM and TP. This was just added in the newest version of ls1-edit to resolve this exact issue. If you are still having trouble, I would suggest that you give Ed Wright (www.fastchip.com) a call. He does not work for free, but he is a great guy to deal with and he will resolve your issues quickly.
It appears that our problem is just about solved. My tuner explained the delay and I understand where hes coming from. Hes been scaling the tables slightly each time (baby steps as he likes to call it) because he doesn't want any higher of a value in there then needed. Problem is it wont throw the code on the dyno only real driving conditions so each time he has to go out on side streets and attempt to run the car through the motions something he doesnt like doing to customer cars nor does he let any of his other staff members drive them. ( I live 70 miles away and work 18 hour days so its been all him)

I am going to cruise up there tomorrow and take the car out and romp on it a bit myself. And then head back to the shop.. do a scan etc. repeat.. till the problem is 100% cleared. With a little luck I will be able to take her home after a long 4 week wait tomorrow with 176 extra horses at the rear wheels. :cheers: :smash:
Old 10-12-2002, 05:21 AM
jeff_nation
Racer

10lbs push harder.

Get notified of new replies

To 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10 Pounds Boost with provided ATI Pro Charger Pulley- Why