C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!!

Old 10-08-2002, 09:55 PM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!!

Ive been trying to solve a vibration in the driveline. it happens from idle to redline. My b&M shifter rattles over the stereo at redline. it is even worse with the a/c on. it is not the a/c etc.. i started the car with the belt off and it still vibrates. I also noticed when my car turns off it rattles loudly, like a clunking noise, sometimes at idle too. The vibration is BAD.

When i put in a centerforce clutch, the idiot said it HAD to be done. I told him not to. When i came back , he had done it. Said he had to take .040 off to make it smooth (he probably lied and took .060 off) Ever since then this vibration happens. I think this is the problem.
WHat do you guys think?

I believe the flywheel SHOULD NOT be resurfaced. the new shoppe i go to only buffs the surface and reinstalls the flywheel assembly, and have NEVER had problems.
Im truly pissed and need to know my options.
:mad
Old 10-08-2002, 10:00 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (388 SOLid RoLLeR)

Well you are not supposed to get a dual mass flywheel resurfaced. That much I know for sure. Unfortunately you are supposed to replace it...and it happens to cost a heck of alot. Most people just go with a single mass flywheel, which by the way can be resurfaced. I would have to say that your flywheel is ruined more than likely.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:04 PM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (LPDesRoche)

im hoping that was the problem. The last time it was removed the opti was changed too. They damaged the balancer (march pulley) liek 2 years ago. Had a stock balancer put on and that was fixed, but the vibes were still there. I didnt think it was anything because the vibes with a broken balancer are bad enough. I thought it was normal. After driving a friends 94, i was like 'hey, wait a minute.. somethings wrong here..' His car was smooth all the way up to redline. At redline i cant even hold the shifter tight and stop it from vibrating! (B&M shorty)
Old 10-09-2002, 01:00 AM
Tom Mieczkowski
Racer

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (388 SOLid RoLLeR)

Well, definitely you cannot resurface a dual mass flywheel. So I think you better figure on replacing yours. Shop around for a dual mass - GM wants about $1200, but my mechanic (in FLA) found one for about $600. So you can get a better deal than the stock GM price.

You can definitely go with a single mass like a Fidanza, at around $300-400, but you will have some vibration.

I'd stop going to these guys for any more car repairs :nonod:
Old 10-09-2002, 01:05 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (Tom Mieczkowski)

Well, definitely you cannot resurface a dual mass flywheel. So I think you better figure on replacing yours. Shop around for a dual mass - GM wants about $1200, but my mechanic (in FLA) found one for about $600. So you can get a better deal than the stock GM price.

You can definitely go with a single mass like a Fidanza, at around $300-400, but you will have some vibration.

I'd stop going to these guys for any more car repairs :nonod:
Jeff Kopp quoted me around $700 for a GM stock flywheel.

My Fidanza Aluminum flywheel was $429.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:05 AM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (R94 LT 1)

Im confused as to the lightweight flywheel. If my motor is fully balanced... wouldnt it be a good idea to fully balance the flywheel??? i dont get it. is the LT1 externally balanced or not?????

FROM what i know.... the flywheel was counter balanced by the balancer...makes sense dont it?? both are slightly balanced and on opposite ends of the motor/crank. Thans what i believe
Old 10-09-2002, 05:39 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Im confused as to the lightweight flywheel. If my motor is fully balanced... wouldnt it be a good idea to fully balance the flywheel??? i dont get it. is the LT1 externally balanced or not?????

FROM what i know.... the flywheel was counter balanced by the balancer...makes sense dont it?? both are slightly balanced and on opposite ends of the motor/crank. Thans what i believe
It your car is STOCK it is externally balanced and you need the counter balance on the flywheel. If it is NOT STOCK then "normally" the motor is internally balanced and if you don't remove the counter balance from the flywheel you end up with a vibration. My car has the counter balance REMOVED since it is internally balanced. :yesnod:
Old 10-09-2002, 08:59 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Your flywheel can be resurfaced, if the imperfections are "slight". I have not read any material that defines how many mils can be machined from the surface before you exceed "slight".
Old 10-09-2002, 11:16 AM
fullboogie
Burning Brakes

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (Oldman)

I've never heard of having .040" taken off a flywheel! That's way too much! Resurfacing is supposed to only take off around .005 to .010". If it requires more, you should buy a new flywheel. No wonder you're having a problem.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:23 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (fullboogie)

The flywheel is not supposed to be resurfaced according to GM. Most reputable machine shops will refuse to do it. I have heard some people do a really light resurfacing and getting mixed results, some working, some not. You will 99% chance need to get a new one. I'd make the shop pay for the job and eat the resurfacing cost as you told them not to. If they say that you needed it done, tell them that they should have according to GM put in a new one so they eat the labor to fix it and the charge for the resurfacing the old one. You can apply the resurfacing cost toward a new one. It shouldn't be that much, maybe $50 or so, but it will help and send a message to the mechanic to listen to his customers. :yesnod:
Old 10-09-2002, 11:48 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (92TripleBlack)

Get documentation from GM that says not to resurface the flywheel, take it to the shop and say "I told you so, now youre gonna buy me a new flywheel." :mad
Old 10-09-2002, 12:38 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (SurfnSun)

You can resurface dual mass flywheels, it is just not recommended. I have had one resurfaced myself without problems, and I know of one person who has one that has been resurfaced twice, maybe 3 times now without problems. It does take some care in the process though from my understanding.

It is possible that the flywheel has been damaged during the resurfacing, or maybe the counterweight has been removed. Either way you will probably have to pull the assembly to check it.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:30 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Anything new?
Old 10-09-2002, 08:58 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (Bluewasp)

Anything new?
Yeah, I had my dual mass resurfaced many many years ago. A reputable machine shop will be able to do it no problem. Due to it's construction and the inability to separate the two pieces, it becomes difficult to manipulate and hold in place during the "operation". However, it can be done. If they look at you funny when you lay it out on the counter.. it's time to walk away!
Old 10-10-2002, 12:36 AM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (EricVonHa)

The car vibrates badly at speed and worse around 2000 - 2500 rpm. With the a/c on its worse. im assumign cuz theres a load on the motor and causing the flywheel assembly to vibrate. The car clicks ans clunks from the clutch assembly are when the car is turned off, that i thihk is enough proof. I also think .040 is way too much, he said the machinist had to to get it perfectly flat > when ifact theyre NOT flat to begin with. I gotta get a used one for $200 now, and hope its solved.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:39 AM
Quick1
Intermediate

I also had my flywheel re-surfaced, although it was ground not turned. No problems as of yet! :cool:
Old 10-10-2002, 02:41 AM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (Quick1)

from what i hear it seems a little is possible. O al;so found out that the surface of the flywheel is concave, not flat. That is why theres problems. On mien he said he took off .040 cuz he couldnt get it flat. Thats where my problem lies i believe. Too bad i didnt find out about this forum a long time ago! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!!

Old 10-10-2002, 03:49 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell the shop to buy you a new flywheel. They are not supposed to resurface it because the cutting process can damage it and cause it to FLY apart at high speed. I would sue them if they don't agree to it.

The vibration is probably caused by an out of balance condition on the flywheel and clutch combination. The factory (some times but doesn' always do it) paints a mark on the flywheel and the centerforce pressure plate has a red dot sticker that is supposed to be lined up with the factory mark when its installed.

Ask centerforce what they recommend after you get the new flywheel.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:11 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

I turned my flywheel but it was only .006 just to clean it up. It has worked well with a stock clutch. The service manual says to replace it.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:54 AM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Default Re: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!! (Jay Axson)

anyone show these symptoms or think they are related to my dual mass????

1) constant, very slight vibration at idle... gets worse as rpms go up.
2) vibration bad at 2200 rpm with a/c on.. it shudders through the whole car (i think it might be my ac/ clutch)
3) clunking noise... usually very slight at idle
4) grabby characteristics of clutch (new centerforce with flywheel 2 yrs back)
5) after shutting car off.. slight rattle coming from bellhousing area, kinda a clunking rattle.

any ideas?? I think my a/c may be the vibrating problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?? I had mine Resurfaced = VIBRATION !! HELP!!