C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan?????????????

Old 07-25-2002, 03:45 PM
luck38
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan?????????????

My transmission gasket had a leak so i installed a new one about a week ago - well the leak returned and i heard that you often have to re-torque the bolts on the pan about a week after you install a new gasket - so i set my torque wrench to the 15 foot lbs - as required - and ended up snapping 1 of the bolts on the pan - what do i do??? any suggestions? - Locktite? I shall pray to the corvette gods for guidance.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:25 PM
sspazm
Navigator

Default Re: uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan????????????? (luck38)

probably have to drill the rest of bolt out, get a tap and re-thread the hole, then get the right size and thread bolt to replace it.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:37 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan????????????? (sspazm)

Man, doing the above can be a pain. Been there done that.
Put it back together and take it somewhere to have it fixed.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:51 PM
The Gooch
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

My transmission gasket had a leak so i installed a new one about a week ago - well the leak returned and i heard that you often have to re-torque the bolts on the pan about a week after you install a new gasket - so i set my torque wrench to the 15 foot lbs - as required - and ended up snapping 1 of the bolts on the pan - what do i do??? any suggestions? - Locktite? I shall pray to the corvette gods for guidance.
Are you sure that wasn't suppose to be 15 inch pounds? I made that same mistake. i used a helicoil to fix it.

[Modified by The Gooch, 3:52 PM 7/25/2002]
Old 07-25-2002, 05:57 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan????????????? (The Gooch)

Sears sells a "easy out set" that comes in a 3 pack for various sizes. It runs about $19. and works in conjunction with your drill. Easy to use and it should back out what's left of that bolt. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:01 PM
luck38
Advanced

Thanks everyone - I might give the easy out set a try - what is a helicoil? Anyone else have any other ideas?
Old 07-25-2002, 06:12 PM
boxerdog
Instructor

Thanks everyone - I might give the easy out set a try - what is a helicoil? Anyone else have any other ideas?
Well, if the gasket was leaking in the area of the broken bolt it's pretty well saturated with transmission fluid and that may help you. About half the time in a situation like this I have had luck using a small punch or even a chisle and tap (with a hammer) counter-clockwise on the broken section of the bolt. The trick is to go very easy. If it doesn't start to back out don't start really hitting it, you'll just make it worse.
Good luck!
Old 07-25-2002, 10:58 PM
Admiral Fairway
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a real sharp center punch and put a punch mark in the center of the broken of bolt. Go to a hardware and supply house and buy a drill and easy out for the size bolt you have. Drill the bolt and remove it with the easy out. Easy out's are left handed, so when you turn it left to tread it in, it in turn grabs the bolt and turns it out.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:10 AM
gearheadjo
Heel & Toe

Service manual says 12 ft lbs, but as a more accurate means, use inch lbs torque wrench and tighten to 144 inch lbs. I had to replace my pan as it got bent and tried several different gaskets, but the one that worked was stock GM from dealer. After install, retorque after a few weeks and then you should be all set. Torque in crossing pattern and gradually move up to 144 inch lbs. Good luck! :)
Old 07-26-2002, 08:55 AM
vettmech
Drifting

Default Re: uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan????????????? (gearheadjo)

I would quit fooling around and go for a Helicoil. OK what are Helicoils? ...... They are a thread repair kit that comes with a special tap and an insert that puts brand new threads in the hole that you will have to drill. There is a very specific drill bit size for each thread so buy the drill bit when you buy the helicoil. NAPA hs these kits and I'm sure others have them too. I don't understand why the kit doesn't come with the drill bit.
Tranny pans aren't hard to do ........the hardest one I've done lately was my thermostat bolt in the intake........... had to remove the throttle body and I should have just gone and pulled the plenum because I wound up doing that anyway.............
You might consider practicing on some old parts before you do it but it's an easy job :yesnod:
Old 07-26-2002, 10:00 AM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

boxerdog has the right idea. If the bolt broke while you werer tightening it, and it did not bottom in the hole (not likely), then once the head of the bolt broke off that released the tension on the threads and the threaded part of the bolt is just sitting there. Get a small chisel, strike it a couple times (firmly, but not too hard) straight on to put a small groove in the end of the broken piece, kinda like a screwdriver slot, and then angle the chisel in the groove to one side and tap the bolt in the direction that will un-screw it. It will come right out.

Dan
Old 07-26-2002, 10:19 AM
vettmech
Drifting

Default Re: uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan????????????? (danno85)

The problem with these bolts is that we have steel bolts and aluminum trans cases .......... they seize up even if they arent tight against the pan. Dirt complicates the problem. I use wd 40 sometimes when installing the bolts ....... never seize helps but I keep thinking I will have them loosening back up :chevy
Old 07-26-2002, 10:29 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Easy out is the only way to go. Drill into the center of the bolt starting with a very small dia. bit #40 should do the trick then increase the dia a little at a time until you get to the dia needed for the easy out. By starting out small you are more likely to stay centered inside the bolt and not stray into the trany. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:31 AM
85 Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan????????????? (vettmech)

I've never had any luck with easy-outs. The bits end up breaking, and then you are really screwed. Easy-outs use a very hard, but very brittle metal. If it breaks, its almost impossible to drill out. It might work in this case, though. Just go slow and easy.

Another option would be to use a reverse pitch drill bit. If the bolt is not frozen, it may grab the bolt and spin it out. Good luck. :seeya
Old 07-26-2002, 10:32 AM
pzoom
Melting Slicks

Default Re: uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan????????????? (danno85)

A dremel works really well too if you want to put a slot in the bolt. Plus it won't force the broken bolt into the hole.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:43 AM
The Gooch
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan????????????? (gearheadjo)

Service manual says 12 ft lbs, but as a more accurate means, use inch lbs torque wrench and tighten to 144 inch lbs.
My GM manual states 19 in-lbs. I wonder why they are different :confused:
Old 07-29-2002, 09:51 PM
gearheadjo
Heel & Toe

Default Re: uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan????????????? (The Gooch)

I am recanting my statement on 144 inch lbs. My 92 manual says 12 ft lbs but I was talking to a GM transmission mechanic today and he said 80 to 100 inch lbs. :confused: So I guess just split the differance and go 90 inch lbs. My haynes manuel says 92 inch lbs, so who in the he#@ really knows? Now were all really confused. :confused: :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan?????????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: uh - oh snapped bolt on transmission pan?????????????