C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 09:41 PM
xzvs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector cleaner

Is any of this auto parts store stuff you put in the tank worth a darn? I use the pro stuff that you shut off the fuel pump and run the car on the injector cleaner only. I heard that stuff will damage the vette injectors tho. Any suggestions ?
Old 07-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Injector cleaner (xzvs)

Only ones I've heard work well are BG Products' "44K" (BG 44K) and Redline's "Complete Fuel System Cleaner". BG is expensive, like $19.99/bottle and hard to find. Redline is about $5.95/bottle and Pepboys sells it. I used Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner in my '95 with good results. I made sure to burn the whole tankful, ran it down until 'reserve' fuel warning came on the gauge. Car felt like it became more responsive.

There has been talk that some of these cleaners can erode the insulation off the wire coil in the injectors and if so it will screw up the injector. Beleive that is the injector design for L98's and LT1/LT4's. Pretty sure LS1/LS6 injectors do not have the coil exposed to fuel.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:05 PM
xzvs
Instructor

Default Re: Injector cleaner (Lone Ranger)

well I'd like to clean the injectors , but at 100 bucks each i am a bit leery. I have used bg 44k before and i like it --but I got the kit that had a can of throttle body cleaner, the 44k , and a can of the serious injector cleaner I mentioned before. You are right tho --can't figure out who sells the stuff here.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:10 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I"ve heard that some cleaners can attach the insulation on the coil windings.

For me the best fuel injector cleaner is Rich at Cruzin Performance. He reconditions, flow tests and leak tests them for $8/injector with 48hr shop time.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:11 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have bought BG 44K if i could have found it locally, but no-go... so I went with the 2nd best, the redline. I think BG 44K is THE best 'pour-in' cleaner out there.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:01 AM
VETTENV
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I have been using the Valvoline Syn-Power for the past two years and have not had any problems. :cool: You can get it at Walmart for $4. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Injector cleaner

Quick Reply: Injector cleaner