C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo!

Old 07-20-2002, 08:01 PM
TXNC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo!

I am by no means a car expert (yet). I am much better with computers. Finally got my LS1 Edit this week. Did a couple reads (and backups) to ensure everything was working fine. I just made my first re-program. I only changed the idle rpm (have h/c with no programming). This is sweet. Re-flashing only takes about 1-2 minutes. Started her up and she grumbles like a kitten (I have PRT's) even with the ac on!

Reading the PCM does take 10-15 minutes. I can't wait to learn more. I will post my experiences.

The install was easy, seems pretty straight forward to use, and now for the learning. It did take several weeks after ordering, but I'd rather have this than pay someone $550 to simply raise the idle, rev limit, etc as is a lot of the "canned" programming.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:23 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo! (TXNC5)

Nice to hear a "real person's" opinion! Do keep us all posted on your progress, I'll be needing some computer tuning in the future & was thinking about going this route myself.

Thx!
Old 07-20-2002, 09:44 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo! (dads01dream)

I'd rather have this than pay someone $550 to simply raise the idle, rev limit, etc as is a lot of the "canned" programming.
I "was" on your page with this. :cheers:

But seems all you have done (so far) for $550 is raise the idle speed. Please post how easy/difficult your next challenges are met????
I ordered LS1Edit once already; but then backed out. I like reading the success stories.

What other goals will you be trying to reach with the LS1Edit capability?
Old 07-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo! (dads01dream)

dammit, that's it....I'm getting it :D
Old 07-20-2002, 10:00 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 212 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo! (Mean Green 2000)

Trust me, it's worth it. :yesnod: Seeing what Tom Garland (nevrenuf) has done with my car and his I am astounded. Definately woke my car up. I payed alot more than that also for software back in my turbo import days and with less features.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:31 PM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo! (C5-VERT)

I'll chime in also. It is definitely worth it, especially if you are going in deeper than just setting a fan or so. If you have an A4, I would say get it and have fun setting up your tranny like it never was before. We set shift firmness, reset the rpms where it shifts at (another tweak is needed because of some track info last night) and a few other tweaks that don't affect performance yet, but will later. After I got this program, I ordered the EASE scanner software and am real impressed with it. It gives you a bunch of data vs. time. One feature is a set of strip plots on the laptop screen. We have made a few runs out on the street looking at the total timing vs. throttle position and a few other outputs. There are a bunch to analyze. I took the computer to the track last night, but forgot a cable at home so got no track results (staging lanes ultra slow, so we go only 2 runs).
Old 07-20-2002, 11:34 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Default Re: LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo! (RWhite)

We set shift firmness, reset the rpms where it shifts at
RWhite;

was this a cut-n-dry procedure that worked the first time; or did you need to do several trial drives to finally get it to your liking?
Old 07-20-2002, 11:55 PM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo! (Mike Mercury)

Here is a summary of what we have done so far:

1. Shift points raised 100-200 rpm's.
2. Adjusted shift firmness (followed what was in manual)
3. Raised rev limiter 200 rpm's
4. Raise idle 200 rpm's

Went on street, ran a few miles and then did the following:

1.Moved up 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shift 2-10 %.
2.Abuse TM set to 0%
3.Reset the Shift speeds

Went on street again, ran a few miles and then did the following:

1.Reset a table (my son did not document what table it was! He will have to update it later!

2.Reset the desired shift time. Took off -0.075 1-2 shift and -0.05 2-3 shift.

Took it to track last night and noticed, even though we lowered our ET slightly (hard to compare to earlier times because of the horrible temp/humidity), that we may reset the shift points again. I forgot a cable at home, so we could not do any tuning. Oh well, it still is shifting great. Best 60 ft. time last night was 1.75 secs. With BFG DR's. Ran 8.01 @ 87 mph in 1/8th.

I want to use the scanner next to collect data at the track during a few runs.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:19 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Here is a summary of what we have done so far:
1. Shift points raised 100-200 rpm's.
2. Adjusted shift firmness (followed what was in manual)
3. Raised rev limiter 200 rpm's
4. Raise idle 200 rpm's

Went on street, ran a few miles and then did the following:

1.Moved up 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shift 2-10 %.
2.Abuse TM set to 0%
3.Reset the Shift speeds

Went on street again, ran a few miles and then did the following:

1.Reset a table (my son did not document what table it was! He will have to update it later!

2.Reset the desired shift time. Took off -0.075 1-2 shift and -0.05 2-3 shift.

Took it to track last night and noticed, even though we lowered our ET slightly (hard to compare to earlier times because of the horrible temp/humidity), that we may reset the shift points again. I forgot a cable at home, so we could not do any tuning. Oh well, it still is shifting great. Best 60 ft. time last night was 1.75 secs. With BFG DR's. Ran 8.01 @ 87 mph in 1/8th.
Thanks for the rundown. Great that you got results; but... I was afraid that it took some tweaking... exactly like you mentioned.

I can't wait until there is a more standardized cut-n-dried method to just firm up the shifts and limit TM. I'm eager to order LS1Edit, but am not thrilled about having to become a GM Powertrain Engineer just to accomplish a few simple commonly requested tasks.

I do believe that the locked single-car version of LS1Edit is more likely to be purchased by the non-tuner types; that would at first like to accomplish a few common-mod program changes quickly; and then after that possibly spending serious time tweaking and test driving the more detailed "tuner" aspects of the PCM's capabilities.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:24 AM
azarby
Racer

Can LS1 Edit do any reprograming of the BCM. I would be interested in turning off the TPS alarms when running without TPS's.

Bpb
Old 07-21-2002, 12:35 AM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo! (azarby)

Mike, I will be honest with you, my son did all the programming (along with all of the fast runs in my car), took him about 5 minutes to understand what was going on and the tweaking was simple. The manual helps somewhat, but the Window based output is pretty simple to go through. Obviously, just take small steps and save files as you go. I have subscribed to the LS1_Edit mail list. The volume of mail is sufficient to answer most questions and I think the developers are on there to lend assistance. We probably will not need much until we get into the guts of the engine after we exhaust the tranny, etc., settings. We are almost there now, so for the next steps, we will be really cautious!
Old 07-21-2002, 10:15 AM
SilverStar
Burning Brakes

Anything would be better than dealing with Steve Cole
Old 07-21-2002, 10:25 AM
vette.se
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will find a very useful info source about LS1-Edit, AutoTap and everything else related to computer diagnostics & tuning at http://www.ls1tech.com/ubb/cgi-bin/u...ubb=forum;f=23

You might want to check it out!

:cheers:
Old 07-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Default Re: LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo! (seanr)

Hey Seanr;

I'd welcome a LS1Edit section on this forum.... where it is narrowed down to Corvettes. Many have requested this, but I haven't seen a new section added to Corvette Forum for LS1Edit????????

I did subscribe to the LS1Edit newsletter email system and it seems 9 outta 10 questions are about Camaros or Trans Ams... and mostly about speedometer error. Not any help to those with C5 Corvettes.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:51 AM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Hey Seanr;

I'd welcome a LS1Edit section on this forum.... where it is narrowed down to Corvettes. Many have requested this, but I haven't seen a new section added to Corvette Forum for LS1Edit????????.
I think that's mostly right now a support issue and spreading out the places the info and the people that provide the info, have to post and answer questions.....

but you're right, the more people here get and use LS1Edit, the more a need and want will occur to have a discussion area here for it :D
Old 07-21-2002, 11:03 AM
TXNC5
Racer

I have a h/c package, LT's, intake, and exhaust. I also plan on working on the following:

- Raising Torque Management threshholds
- Take back control of the cooling fans; paid $XXX dollars for a kit that I can't alter;
- Raise the rev limiter; my dyno graph shows my hp curve still increasing fairly well at the stock cutoff
- Get rid of my MAFT and work on the A/F ratios
- Create multiple programs for different situations: I am getting nitrous so I want a N/A maximized program and NO2 maximized program as well; Also here in TX with the heat/humidity the car can have very different needs in the summer as opposed to the winter

As far as becoming a GM engineer to use the product, I would say the manuals have a few helpful tips. The product itself is straight forward to me. I don't expect to spend 4 hours every weekend tuning my car. I do expect to spend 4-8 hours to do some tuning and tweaking one weekend and then occasionally monitoring (have Ease and it works very well) like I already do.

For me, I was timid about installing my MAFT. I just don't have any experience working on cars, so cutting and splicing wires that are critical to my daily driver's operation makes me edgy. I am an IT professional, so downloading/uploading and re-programming the PCM doesn't phase me (maybe it should). I just feel like this offers more control to me, and for people like me, little to no car experience, it allows me to be more involved. I can still pay someone $500-600 to program my car, but at least now if I don't like what they did I can change it.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:32 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Mark; I didn't state my thoughts well enough.... I think what is needed is a C5 only discussion of LS1Edit; that would address the specific C5 uses of the product.
I know all aboput the LS1Tech forum, but again ... even there the "tuning" section for the LS1Edit program is cluttered with non-C5 questions.

So I thought "what a fantastic place for it here on CorvetteForum". And just like nitrous and super/turbo issues were given their own section ... since many reading in the C5 Tech section weren't never going to blow or NOS their C5's.

What is the status of the Carputing people being an official Forum vendor? Is this the holdup on an LS1EDit section?

Or how about a "Computer Tuning" forum section that is not only for LS1Edit, but Hypertech and other DIY tuning devices?

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo!

Old 07-21-2002, 11:41 AM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Mark; I didn't state my thoughts well enough.... I think what is needed is a C5 only discussion of LS1Edit; that would address the specific C5 uses of the product.
I know all aboput the LS1Tech forum, but again ... even there the "tuning" section for the LS1Edit program is cluttered with non-C5 questions.
no, I got ya....probably didn't reply too well :D pre-pneumonia and all :D....I'll pass along all of this in the Mods Corner :cheers:

What is the status of the Carputing people being an official Forum vendor? Is this the holdup on an LS1EDit section?
don't know about anything there, but I don't think it would :)

Or how about a "Computer Tuning" forum section that is not only for LS1Edit, but Hypertech and other DIY tuning devices?
also a good idea :D
Old 07-21-2002, 11:44 AM
vette.se
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be a 'C5 Computer tuning & diagnostics' section not made for a specific product. LS1-Edit, AutoTap, MAFT are the most common but keep it non-brand.

[Modified by seanr, 4:46 PM 7/21/2002]
Old 07-21-2002, 12:00 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Best 60 ft. time last night was 1.75 secs. With BFG DR's. Ran 8.01 @ 87 mph in 1/8th.
:eek: :smash:

Great Job! 1.75 Short Time is :cool:

Excellent Job RWhite!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 Edit - Woooooooo Hooooooooooo!