C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Flush alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 11:30 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Radiator Flush alternatives

OK, what were all those different methods of flushing the radiator. There was CLR. And there was vinegar.

How much, how long, etc.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:46 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radiator Flush alternatives (Larry82)

Larry,

It doesnt make sense to use Home Remedies for cleaning your cooling s ystem, when there is Prestone Super Cleaner designed specifically for the task. You cant beat this product with the flushing Tee . After the cleaner has been circulated real good in the block by driving ... i open up both block drain valves and the radiator drain valve while running water thru the flushing Tee using a garden hose ; i do this WITH the engine running. I also have the plastic drain spout pushed into the top of the expansion tank . Water comes out of all 3 places like crazy and removes an incredible amount of dirt . I then close all outlets..fill it with pure water then drive it for a day or so. Then i repeat the same process. The final step i do, is, drain ALL the water out and fill the block with 100 percent distilled water with 2 bottles of Redline Water Wetter . I have never overheated...not even when my radiator fans quit working once on a Mountain Run i was on....if im moving at least 30 mph and the outside temp is 70 or less....i dont need the radiator fans. That speaks well of a very clean cooling system with a hi flow water pump.

Use Prestone products and forget about the other old wives tales.

Dave
Old 07-03-2002, 11:51 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Radiator Flush alternatives (Rumpity Rump)

I did some searching on the internet and found alot of sites where using vinegar and clr were recommended - including some government sites.

Anecdotal - a few weeks ago, I bought a pair of solid brass antique 5 ft tall candlesticks. They had not been touched in 25 years. Can you say GREEN? Simply soaked in a 50% solution of vinegar and water for about 15 minutes and the green was gone! Still had to polish but was astounding. Have about $1,000 candlesticks for $125 and elbow grease.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:02 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Larry,

Are you going to give it a try in your block then ? If so, please email me and let me know the outcome after flushing it all out. Id be very interested. THanks, dave
Old 07-06-2002, 06:43 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Well, the CLR treatment is underway.

Drained old antifreeze fluid. Saw alot of goey stuff on the ends of the cores. Flushed several times with water. Then ran 1 cup of CLR into radiator and filled with water. Brought up to operating temperature and shut off. Let sit for 1/2 hour while hot. Just drained it. Insides look 90% better. Doing a second treatment with the second cup of CLR. Will then flush, flush, flush, did I say flush. Then, 25% antifreeze and 75% distilled water.

Will let you know Monday how it did in hot weather as to helping cooling. But, it sure does clean the inside of the radiator, that is for certain.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:41 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unsweetened lime-flavored Kool-Aid will do a number on rust and scale on copper and brass. Seriously--this is a trick the mess cooks used to use. They'd just dump a couple of packets in with the water in the steam tables in the chow hall. Those copper pipes absolutely glistened.

I personally used Lime Away in a copper/brass radiator once. Worked like a charm--squeaky, shiny, spotless. Extreme flushing after the treatment was required, though.

Old 07-07-2002, 09:19 AM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Im told that CLR has acid in it . Just found this info out. Keep us posted after the entire procedure is done and youve tested it in hot weather.

RR
Old 07-07-2002, 10:07 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Yes, CLR is phosphoric acid.

I found CLR being recommended on a Mercedes, BMW, Audi Quattro, Isuzu, Phord Truck, and Miata site. Also saw where someone uses to clean a horn (musical instrument).

Old 07-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

I w onder if CLR is safe to use on aluminum heads and radiators too ? How did you determine how much CLR to mix with water for your cooling system ?? Have you finished the flushing procedure yet and test drove it ?? Please give results.

TY RR
Old 07-07-2002, 08:48 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: Radiator Flush alternatives (The Dude)

Can u give me CLR 's phone number on the back of the container ? ID like to ask them about using on aluminum . Thanks, Dave
Old 07-07-2002, 09:30 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

What is CLR ? Brand name or what? MJ
Old 07-07-2002, 09:32 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Flush alternatives (MNJack)

Phosphoric acid reacts w/ aluminium & forms hydrogen gas.

Marck
Old 07-08-2002, 05:36 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the lesson in chemistry Tweenie
you don't have alu heads or rad do you? Leery? ;) :smash: :lol:

ooh I crack meself up ;) :D

EDIT! Hey man larry, you deleted your post again. What are you doing man? trying to make me look stupid?

Marck

[Modified by Twinnie, 9:16 AM 7/8/2002]
Old 07-08-2002, 10:50 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Drive to work today - 38 miles - was uneventful, as I expected. My radiator has 75K miles on it and never flushed. So, has buildup of crud on it. The CLR got rid of it so it is like new. Read somewhere that the CLR would turn the crud to powder where other products would just loosen it to be flushed out. Based on all the white powder on my driveway, I would say it worked.

On how much to use, just followed what someone had said - 1 cup to the radiator, bring to operating temp and let sit 30 minutes. Flushed very well and did it a second time. Flushed again very well. Distilled water and Prestone Green at about a 40% ratio.

Straight CLR on aluminum may not be good, but this is highly diluted is adding just 1/2 cup to a full system. And, I think the caution about aluminum, etc. is the discoloration that can occur. You see, primary use is for cleaning "scum" off showers, sinks, etc. Fixtures can be discolored. Ge, I wonder if the inside of my intake is discolored? :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Flush alternatives

Quick Reply: Radiator Flush alternatives