Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] the fastest stock corvette

Old 06-14-2002, 12:46 PM
1976stingrayonjuice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the fastest stock corvette

I dont want to start a flame here but i was thinking about this. Alot of z06 owners say the z06 is the fastest stock corvette ever made. Anyway you all have to settle for #2. The fastest vette as of today was the 1969 zl1 ran high tens low 11's in the 1/4. The z06 is a fast car but the zl1 was faster and has alot more power. Im just letting you know because ive noticed that alot of people on this forum seem to have no respect for the older vettes.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:48 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (1976stingrayonjuice)

Nobody can debate the ZL1... too bad you have to build your own.

D.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:09 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

The older vettes where great...Race a 69 427 then jump into a Z06 or ZR1....THESE are the good old days...My 427 was great, at the time...And ia am so sick of hearing about ZL1-s How many did they make 2??? :lol:
Old 06-14-2002, 01:12 PM
Jbrady
Instructor

You mean quickest... don't you? Fastest was the ZR1 at over 180mph.

Quickest was arguably the ZL1 but not really a "real" production car and certainly not one that can run on todays pump gas.

Also, at what level of preparation was the car/cars in that ran those times? What was the gear ratio? Case in point the 87-93 Mustang 5.0s with a measly 225hp could squeeze into the high 12s without any internal engine work, just very smart track prep. In the pure STOCK class which requires stock blocks, stock unported heads with stock valves, stock spec (albeit cheater) cams, stock manifolding, throttle bodies and the like are turning 11s at over 110mph. SO.... what could a similarly prepped Z06 turn on slicks??? :smash:
Old 06-14-2002, 01:31 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

>>>I dont want to start a flame here

Yeah you do. :rolleyes:

>>>1969 zl1 ran high tens low 11's in the 1/4.

How many of them have you seen do this on factory stock tires with factory stock gearing, exhaust, carb, etc..? Will you ever, or has anyone ever, seen a car like that on the street? How many of those did they even make? The muscle car days are happening now.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:14 PM
Born_Again
Advanced

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (rbartick)

I didn't own a ZL1 (who did?), but I did own a 1969 427/435, and I can tell
ya that, even though it's been about 20 years since I last drove the '69, the ZO6 seems just as quick (if not quicker) than the '69 was.

Put them on a twisty road, and it's all Z. Comfort, forget it. :)
Old 06-14-2002, 02:35 PM
moparmike
Intermediate

translations:

[QUOTE]I dont want to start a flame here

i'm bored and i want to start trouble on the zo6 board

[QUOTE]Alot of z06 owners say the z06 is the fastest stock corvette ever made.

i'm tired of coming to this site and hearing awesome dyno numbers and good track stories and the all-round fun you guys have with these cars.

[QUOTE]Anyway you all have to settle for #2.

i'm a young punk that doesn't have a z06 and that pisses me off, so i'm gonna put down the z06 until i can have one myself.

[QUOTE]
Im just letting you know because ive noticed that alot of people on this forum seem to have no respect for the older vettes.

i'm stuck with this 76' that could run 5's in the 1/4 and people still wouldn't care. i wish they had a anti-tacky mod i could perform to this old war wagon. in fact i wish it was still stock and i saved my money for a zo6.

Old 06-14-2002, 02:59 PM
Av8ter
Burning Brakes

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (moparmike)

LOL.....i couldnt have said it better myself
Old 06-14-2002, 03:01 PM
03 Z06
Pro

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (Jbrady)

In side by side tests of ZR-1 vs Z06 I believe the Z06 has won every time. They not only are quicker they are faster too. Z06 can easily top over 180. It's been done with stock motors.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:11 PM
169mph
Intermediate

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (Randi)

I found this article, I thought it was pretty interesting:

"Chevrolet enthusiasts still living in the bygone musclecar era might argue the 1969 Corvette with the ZL1, all-aluminum, 427 was the quickest production example ever built. Unfortunately, most performance numbers for ZL1s are urban legend that came out of a media preview held at the GM Milford Proving Ground a generation ago.

In the summer of 1968, the press sampled two special, ’69 ZL1s. The first was a partially-gutted, 3000lb, white convertible fitted with the optional hardtop and set up by Chief Engineer, the late Zora Duntov, himself with road racing suspension, open headers and race tires–hardly production trim. It ran the quarter in 12.1 at 115mph. The second was red coupe built for drag racing by development engineer Gib Hufstader (who today, though semi-retired, still consults to GM Racing) with a 4.88:1 rear end, open headers, a race-prepared Turbo-Hydramatic 400 automatic and 9-in. slicks–again, hardly production equipment. That car usually ran low 11s and dipped into the 10.9s at 132mph when launched with a neutral start.

I was unable to find tests of one of the three production ZL1s sold but tests of stock 1969s with L88 engines (116 of these were built with an iron-block, aluminum-head 427 about 15hp shy of the ZL1) ran low-13s. Figure 15 more horses and 100 less pounds worth of ZL1 might have gotten you a 12.9.
The 2002 Z06 will run mid-12s on stock tires, with street exhaust, on pump gas, with all emissions controls working, equipped with air conditioning and at curb weight. Sounds like the quickest, production Corvette to me."

I'm not old enough to really argue this discussion but if this article is correct I would say the 02 Z06 is the quickest (1/4 mile) vette ever produced in stock form.

Thanks Mike Vaughan
Old 06-14-2002, 05:23 PM
kwillmorth
Racer

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (169mph)

I found this article.... I'm not old enough to really argue this discussion but if this article is correct I would say the 02 Z06 is the quickest (1/4 mile) vette ever produced in stock form...
Age is not a pre-requisite for wisdom. Great post and timing! :smash: :yesnod:
Old 06-14-2002, 05:38 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,123 Likes on 560 Posts

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (rbartick)

The muscle car days are happening now.
The Corvette is NOT a muscle car! :mad The Corvette is a Sports car! :)
Old 06-14-2002, 05:51 PM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (kwillmorth)

The point here is the ZL1 was never really a production car. If your standard to qualify as 'factory stock' is 3 units, Lingenfelter could probably hand assemble 3 Z06s from scratch that would obliterate anything from 60s.

What makes the Z06 so special to many of us is not just that it is, according to GM, the quickest Vette ever, but that they make a few thousand a year and sell them below the MSRP of $50K. Even the amazing ZR1 sold for up to $72K in 1991! That would amount to over 100K for a car today! To buy my car, I went to my local dealer who had 7 in stock and picked the one I wanted to drive away that day. Bought it for 47K with 3.9% financing for 60 months and I now have a car that can run with, or beat just about anything on the road that doesn't have over $10K in mods (or doesn't cost over $150K).

The Z06 is unarguably the most competent all around supercar on sale today for under $70,000. It is widely available, handles, brakes, and performs better than anything coming from the factory in the 60s and can be modified to devastate any modified car from that time period as well.

The Porsche 959 was produced in 250 units and it's barely considered a 'production' car. The real production vettes from the 60s include some amazing cars for the time period, and they do accelerate like mad, but ask one of them to take a turn or stop hard and all comparison stops. I would enjoy owning for the same reason that I enjoy the 02 Z06, they were the pinacle of performance for their time.

But for your original point, if you think we should stop saying the Z06 is the quickest FACTORY vette ever (not fastest because we all know that honor goes to the ZR1), I say meet me at the track with a ZL1 to prove it! :smash: :boxing

I'll bet you can't produce one so we Z06 owners win by default. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-14-2002, 06:37 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

So what :crazy:

Why are you bringing up a car that you can't go to a dealer and get anymore? Your topic is irrelevant, and so are you. :rolleyes:
Old 06-14-2002, 07:36 PM
jonstr
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont want to start a flame here but i was thinking about this. Alot of z06 owners say the z06 is the fastest stock corvette ever made. Anyway you all have to settle for #2. The fastest vette as of today was the 1969 zl1 ran high tens low 11's in the 1/4. The z06 is a fast car but the zl1 was faster and has alot more power. Im just letting you know because ive noticed that alot of people on this forum seem to have no respect for the older vettes.
If you're really going to talk about a "stock Corvette", let's not forget that the two ZL1s (and most of the L88s) built were delivered with a very restrictive reverse-flow side exhaust system that (if memory serves) knocks about 100HP right off the top. Couple that with the lack of hook-up you would get with those skinny factory bias-ply tires and I don't believe you'll find any official test times as low as you quote for a "stock" ZL1. Maybe they did get that low with the ZL1 test mule that Zora prepared (as was noted by an earlier poster), but "prepared" is the operative word there.

I haven't driven a ZL1, but I do have a "stock" L88 that I drive (which theoretically is pretty close). I can tell you that between the L88 and the Z06, I'm pretty sure the Z06 is a quicker car. In addition, with the "stock" L88 (or a ZL1, if I were lucky enough to own one) I can't drive it in the summer time (no radiator shroud so it overheats), can't listen to the stereo (no radio), and can't stay cool (no AC). Not to mention that it's getting pretty tough to find 110 octane leaded fuel around town as well. :)

We've come a long way in 30+ years.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:11 PM
no cure
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

every week or so, another person "who doesn't want to start a flame war" chimes in with an obvious troll post exactly like this.
yawn. luckily, they're mostly ignored.
1976stingrayonjuice, you'll get a much more sympathetic audience in the troll/purebs, oh, I mean kill stories section.

I'll close with this thought: C3's weren't very fast cars in general, but for their time they rocked. z06 is way faster and has alot more power. Im just letting you know because ive noticed that alot of people on this forum seem to have the proper respect for the older vettes.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:17 PM
AP
Team Owner

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (ZR-1DUDE)

Nobody can debate the ZL1... too bad you have to build your own.

D.

:yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To the fastest stock corvette

Old 06-14-2002, 08:33 PM
ZROne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (NewVetteLover)

Naaahh. I think it's because some of the Z06 guys deserve it Dave... after all, they're "invincible" :lol:.

sirhC
Old 06-14-2002, 10:12 PM
no cure
Burning Brakes

Default Re: the fastest stock corvette (ZROne)

Naaahh. I think it's because some of the Z06 guys deserve it Dave... after all, they're "invincible" :lol:.

sirhC
yes, there certainly is that smug superior "I have THE fastest vette eva" mentality in alot of the z06 crowd, LOL. specially seems to afflict the zaino crowd. check out the z06 forum where they have a seperate section for 99/00 FRC's titled "humble beginnings", LOL. huge LOL.

but, the C3 crowd *is* in denial (no, not the river, we've gone over this). time *has* marched on. there were few an far between "fast" factory stock C3's (even with modern rubber), most of em are stones. just the way it is, so to have the "debate" re the mythical ZL1 (oh my gawd, the ZL1, they made 3 of em, count em, 3 of em!) is a joke, LOL. even include ALL the L88's ever made from the factory as regular production street cars changes it not a whitt. sure, those were pure race motors, and now anyone with money and common sense can buy a crate 502 for their C3 which will make it a BEAST, but the "discussion" is always "fastest stock corvette". I say give it a rest. I only respond to like 1 in 50 of these threads when the spirit moves me :)
it's like comparing those awesome mid-late 70's C3's to a ZR1. same outcome.

btw - to change the subject, I now can officially brag that I'm faster 70 - 150 than a 425 rwhp viper gts.

vroom vrooom
it's all driver all the time anyway.

David

-ps- Chris, you coming out 7/17 for the cmcs pacific raceways road course day?
Old 06-15-2002, 01:06 AM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

ok lets settle this once and for all. WE ALL DRIVE THE SAME CAR!!! God I hate posts like this. I was tempted not to add anything to it but here we go.

The ZL1 ownz, the L88 ownz, the L89 ownz, the LS6 ownz the ZR-1 ownz, the Z06 ownz, the 350 ownz the 327 ownz, the blue flame 6 ownz, the L82, the L48, L83, L98, 396, 427, 454, you name it if ist a Vette it ownz.

That said: lets all :cheers: and start :seeya stop the :boxing and :cry and just have fun with a car we all love.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] the fastest stock corvette