Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Dirty Zanio Claybar left Smudge Marks

Old 06-12-2002, 01:18 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Dirty Zanio Claybar left Smudge Marks

On Monday I took a 721 mile day trip and the black bra was a mess but save the nose of my car. After the trip I cleaned the car and use a Zanio clarbar. The claybar worked great. I could feel the road grime (tar and God knows what) on the finish. The Zanio Z-7 car wash would not cut the grime; however, the claybar did the trick. I even used the claybar on the windshield.

This morning as I was driving into the sun I noticed smudge marks all over the windshield and try some spray window cleaner and it would not cut the smudges. The smudges look like marks left by a dirty claybar. The car was really dirty and my claybar may have been tired. I tried several cleaners and the only thing that seemed to work on the windshield is alcohol.

The smudges will not wash off with Z-7 and I feel they may be over the whole car. i hate to rub the car down with alcohol because it will strip my too many coats of Zanio.

The lesson learned is toss out dirty claybars....they can cause more harm than good. Mine was too dirty and should have been tossed.

I have a freash clarbar and may try it to see if claybar can cut clarbar smudges.

Any other suggestions?

==============================
Scoll to the bottom to see a happy ending
==============================

[Modified by Dick Kriss, 6:41 AM 6/13/2002]
Old 06-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Silver2002
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Dirty Zanio Claybar left Smudge Marks (Dick Kriss)

If you tried some Z6 and that didn't work, try washing with some Dawn. That should cut the clay residue and not harm the amount Zaino you have on your car.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:50 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dirty Zanio Claybar left Smudge Marks (Silver2002)

If you tried some Z6 and that didn't work, try washing with some Dawn.
Dawn is to gentle for this job. I even tried the Wall Mart NOW cleaner and 409 and they did not phase the claybar scuff marks. I probably screwed-up by not keeping the surface really wet. The detailer (me) caused he scuff marks....not the Zanio claybar. Good products not properly used can cause damage.

Advice: Keep the surface really WET when using claybar. If it sticks go over the area again.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Silver2002
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Are the marks clay residue or did some material that got caught in the clay mar the paint?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:48 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

0000 steel wool or a good glass polish will take care of that
Old 06-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Are the marks clay residue or did some material that got caught in the clay mar the paint?
I think it is clay residue....not the stuff caught in the clay. I plan on spending some time with but not sure I have the guts to try the 0000 steel wool as suggested. I feel a good cleaner/wax or polish would do the job but hate to do that to the coats of Zanio. I may try some Z-5 on a small area and let it sit overnight.

Edited comment:

Just did a full Zanio Z-5 job with elbow grease and will let the stuff cure overnight in the garage. I think it worked! Even did the glass top. That stuff smells good!

[Modified by Dick Kriss, 8:26 PM 6/12/2002]
Old 06-12-2002, 09:44 PM
Scott-2002-Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many times did you use your claybar? So we all know when to pitch them and get new ones? Good luck :cheers:

[Modified by Scott-2002-Z06, 5:09 AM 6/13/2002]
Old 06-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dirty Zanio Claybar left Smudge Marks (Scott-2002-Z06)

How many times did you use your claybar? So we all know when to pitch them and get new ones? The 0000 steel whool should not scratch at all, and i think it would do the job also! Good luck :cheers:
I take the 5th but it was too many times. Now I know why Sal says Dawn, claybar, wash and then use the Z2 or Z5. I think the Z5 cleans up the the clay tracks. HiHi
Old 06-12-2002, 11:51 PM
Scott-2002-Z06
Racer

________________________________________ ___________________
I take the 5th but it was too many times.
________________________________________ ___________________
:lol: I was just wondering because i was going to try to get some zaino, and i didnt want to make the same mistake that you did! :nono:
I'm glad the Z5 took it off for you! :cheers:
Old 06-13-2002, 12:02 AM
Silver2002
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

When you mention that you do not want to use steel wool, and instead a cleaner wax, I think you are misunderstanding what Carl is saying. The steel wool should be used on the windows only, not on the paint.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:02 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dirty Zanio Claybar left Smudge Marks (Scott-2002-Z06)

Scott,

There is nothing wrong with Zanio products. I used the claybar too long. My car was really dirty this time and I did not want to use a brand new (out of the jar) claybar on the bugs and road grime. I used an old one and I don't think that was the problem. the problem was I probably rubbed a little too hard and did not have the surface really wet. If the surface is dry the claybar sticks and when it sticks it may leave smudes. Like I said earlier I probably hosed the job.

I hope the Z-5 works....it's still drying in the garage. The only problem with Zanio is it takes so damn long to cure. I should have done it earlier in the day and let it cure in the 98 degree sun
Old 06-13-2002, 12:05 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

When you mention that you do not want to use steel wool, and instead a cleaner wax, I think you are misunderstanding what Carl is saying. The steel wool should be used on the windows only, not on the paint.
Yes, I did misunderstand Carl's note. No problem on using it on glass. I thought he was talking about using it on the paint. No way!

Sorry Carl - I misunderstood
Old 06-13-2002, 12:08 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dirty Zanio Claybar left Smudge Marks (hcvone)

Sorry Carl.....I misunderstood. Yes, the 0000 steel wool is a good tip for the glass! Dumb me thought you were suggesting it for the paint.

Dick
Old 06-13-2002, 12:52 AM
Scott-2002-Z06
Racer

Did you lube the Claybar up with the Z-7? Are you saying to mist the car before claying? Or just to put a good amount of Z-7 on it so it slides right over it? :cheers:
Old 06-13-2002, 12:53 AM
88-L98-Z52
Pro

Yes, the 0000 steel wool is a good tip for the glass! Dumb me thought you were suggesting it for the paint.
Oh absolutely!!! Everyone knows you're supposed to always use a rusty, metal paint scraper on the paint, with NO lurication, and in direct sunlight on a 95+ day, after covering the whole car with a sand/salt mixture and rubbing it in real good!!! (hey... just a joke!!! don't really do this!!!)

Anyway... I've seen several mentions of how people were unhappy with how various brands of claybar would smear... and I've always wondered what could have been causing that... thanks for sharing your experience, it explains something I've been wondering about and will help others to avoid making the same mistake...
Old 06-13-2002, 08:38 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Dick, yes that was for the glass only, even if I did not like you I would not tell you to use steel wool on your paint. :yesnod: :yesnod: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-13-2002, 08:39 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

After Action Report:

The Zanio Z-5 treatmemt got 95% of the smudes off the finish. I let the Z-5 dry all night and just dusted it off. I found some interesting little spots on the finish and when I would try to get them with a finger nail they would smudge.

I no longer blame me or the Zanio claybar. I think this car has tree sap and the claybar tried but could not get all of the tree sap off. The finsh looks great this morning but I may have to go over the car again and spot certain places with some solvent.

The old claybar that contains 90% of the sap is now in the trash. This stuff is nasty, really hard to see and even harder to remove.

For those that asked I do not use the expensive Z-7 with the claybar. I use the Z-12 wash solution and try to keep the surface really soaked.

Again, I can not blame the detalier (me) or the the Zanio Claybar. Tree sap or whatever that acts and looks like cheweing gum is a bitch to get off a black car.

Dick

Going to get some 0000 steel wool today for the windows (Carl's tip) !

[Modified by Dick Kriss, 6:48 AM 6/13/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Dirty Zanio Claybar left Smudge Marks

Old 06-14-2002, 04:19 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Cool tip. I picked up the 0000 steel wool and worked perfect on the GLASS. Already been there and done it on the inside of Corsa Pro tips - works great!

Carl, how do you feel about using it on the glass top and polished wheels?

dick
Old 06-14-2002, 06:22 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Dick, the top is plastic I believe, so I would not use it on the top, now if the top is glass you would be ok to use it on that. The polish wheels are clear coated and I would not use the steel wool on them, Simple Green works well on the polished wheels.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Thanks Carl, I'll keep the steel wool to the window and Corsa Tip.

BTW, I just took a drive into the sun and the damn tree sap, claybar scuffs or whatever are still there. I suspect it is tree sap because when the sun hits them they show up like pit but smear when you rub them. I am going to do the windshild again with steel wool and plan to use every solvent I have. I have no idea how to get the stuff off the paint. I think the Z-5 did a pretty good job but if the windshild is hosed the body has to have the same stuff. I usually wash my car in the shade under an Elm tree. Something tells me it has been dumping on my car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dirty Zanio Claybar left Smudge Marks