Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP?

Old 05-18-2002, 09:46 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP?

i just had a 383 installed.we fired it yesterday. i was siked! she sounded sweet, everything was working(guages,ect). we installed a 2800 stall converter & tranny cooler also. after letting the car warm up we decided to road test her well.....the car wont move in any gear? my mechanic says i got a bad torque converter (its new :cuss ). since we had the wiring harness out of the car(changed from fuel injected to carb) i was wondering if it could be somthing electronic? both plugs are plugged in to the tranny? fluid is full & smells good(tranny is also new only has 300 miles on it). any ideas??? :confused:
Old 05-18-2002, 10:43 AM
Oh My
Pro

Default Re: CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP? (yoslambo1@cs.com)

If the input shaft on the tranny does not fully engage the torque converter, you can ruin your front pump and that means the trannsmission and torque converter as well.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:45 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP? (Oh My)

its definetly in right.the bolts are also connected.my mechanic insists its a bad torque converter. i was just hoping it was somthing a little simpler. there is no way the tranny is bad. its new never abused. does anybody know what could be wrong with the torque converter that would make the car not move at all? every gear? even reverse. yes the linkage is hooked up. :confused: :sad:
Old 05-18-2002, 12:18 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP? (yoslambo1@cs.com)

its definetly in right.the bolts are also connected.my mechanic insists its a bad torque converter. i was just hoping it was somthing a little simpler. there is no way the tranny is bad. its new never abused. does anybody know what could be wrong with the torque converter that would make the car not move at all? every gear? even reverse. yes the linkage is hooked up. :confused: :sad:
Long shot, but are the Accelerator/TV cables adjusted?
Old 05-18-2002, 01:26 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP? (cprgmr)

[

Long shot, but are the Accelerator/TV cables adjusted?[/QUOTE] not sure? ill check monday.i hope your on to something.i for got to mention that when i put it in reverse the reverse lights go ...just thinking it might change things?
Old 05-18-2002, 05:55 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

It sounds stupid but check your tranny fluid.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:29 PM
DON M
Drifting

Did you fill the converter before installing it?
Old 05-19-2002, 01:01 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP? (DON M)

yes i checked the fluid. yes the converer was full.fluid smelled & looked good. my mechanic says its the torque converter....hes probably right. :confused:

[Modified by yoslambo1@cs.com, 12:01 AM 5/19/2002]
Old 05-19-2002, 10:38 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

I put in a shift kit a couple of years ago and this happened to me. Turned out I was 3 quarts low on fluid. I know it sounds stupid, but the fluid was splashing on the dip stick and confusing me.

Eric
Old 05-19-2002, 11:31 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP? (silver & red CE)

we let it run for 20 minutes & the dip stick reads full. im gonna check again monday before i get another torque converter. does anyone else think it is the torque converter? :confused:
Old 05-20-2002, 11:40 AM
robzr
Burning Brakes

I've never heard of a bad torque converter which simply doesn't transmit any torque to the transmission, but I am no expert. Seeing how a torque converter really is a pretty simple thing though, I can't imagine how a company would manufacture one that just flat out didn't work. There are not a lot of moving parts, for it to not work it would have to be missing all the vanes internally or something. It sounds really "unusual" to me, before you fire it up any more I highly recommend you really doublecheck your fluid level and cooling routing. If there are problems with the fluid inside the transmission and you keep running it, you could be doing real harm to the transmission.

Rob
Old 05-20-2002, 05:59 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Sounds like a shot pump to me...
Old 05-20-2002, 07:01 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP? (The Dude)

Sounds like a shot pump to me...
man i hope not. i have less than 500 miles on the tranny. everything worked fine till we switched torque converters & installed a tranny cooler. i called the tranny shop that did the job & they told me to check the pump but also said it could be the wrong torque converter? ill know more later in the week. :confused:
Old 05-20-2002, 09:44 PM
DON M
Drifting

Default Re: CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP? (The Dude)

You could use a gage on one of the pressure taps or just check the lines to the cooler to check the pump.
Have to agree about the converter, not much to go wrong, unless the output shaft isn't engaged
Old 05-21-2002, 10:02 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP? (DON M)

i know the problem. it was the converter. i put a 30 spline in instead of a 27! it feels nice to know what the problem is. thanks everyone for the replys. ill have my car back this weekend & i am siked!!! :D
Old 07-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Chris W Carney
2nd Gear

Default Same problem

Everyone iknow this is a Chevy page but I’m having the same problem with my AODe trans in my Merc. Only thing this is the factory trans and converter that was in before I installed a new 4.6engine. Iknow this is the correct converter/installed correctly and the trans is fine, was fine before engine swap. Car won’t move in any gear.

Get notified of new replies

To CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAR WONT MOVE IN ANY GEAR? TORQUE CONVERTER?? HELP?