Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

install carpet on door panel?

Old 04-20-2002, 01:23 AM
Lv2Driv
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install carpet on door panel?

Well i got the carpet strips today. Now is this job doable by an amateur (the rest of the carpet for the interior went easliy for me and looks professional, but i didn't have to glue it.)
or should i just pay an interior guy to do it?
anybody know how much that usually costs. just the door panel strips. i would even cut out the speaker hole myself. :confused:
Old 04-21-2002, 03:48 AM
Lv2Driv
Drifting

Default Re: install carpet on door panel? (Lv2Driv)

ttt :seeya
Old 04-21-2002, 04:41 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get some 3m contact glue, a stapler, and you are set. it's easier than changin oil.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Alchemist
Race Director

NC Events Coordinator

Default Re: install carpet on door panel? (Kale)

get some 3m contact glue, a stapler, and you are set. it's easier than changin oil.
Yea....do it yourself! What's the WORST that could happen? Ya gotta get someone to reposition it???? (not if you're careful)
Old 04-21-2002, 06:52 PM
Lv2Driv
Drifting

Default Re: install carpet on door panel? (Alchemist)

is there a tool i should invest in to get the panel off safely? you know to save most of the clips.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:32 PM
a851yy07
Melting Slicks

is there a tool i should invest in to get the panel off safely? you know to save most of the clips.
dont belive there are any clips to worry about. if it is the same as my 85, and i think it is, you need to remove all of the screws on the bottom of the door panel and the ones by the handle and light. there is also one at the back of the door. Once they are off just lift the panel up. It hangs on the door frame by the top. it is a 10 minute job. after you have the panel off just disconnect the wiper wires and push the trim plate through the door.

Panel is now off completely.
simple stuff.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:41 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Default Re: install carpet on door panel? (a851yy07)

I've probably had my door panel off more than I've changed my oil.

screw locations:

1 long on the back edge of the door panel, halfway up.
2 in the defroster bezel on the top edge of the door
2 in the "tray" just below the handle.
1 behind the handle
2 to the right of the handle (easy to see)
1 on the top edge of the plastic face, towards the front of it
Don't remmeber how many screws in the carpet.. im thinking 7 or 8

Pop the plastic lock lever with a flathead screwdriver.
Pull the door panel up a little bit, there's a few hooks in the top of the panel, then slide it forward, and it comes off the door.
Everything on the other side is attached with a clip - be very careful with the light, it tends to break the connection easily.. With one exception - use a 7mm socket to disconnect the lock switch.

You shouldn't have to force the door panel off, if it feels like it's taking a lot of effort, check all your screws again. Be careful not to overtighten them when putting it back together.

The stock carpet is glued on the front, stapled on the back.
Let me know if you need more help.

[Modified by Kale, 12:42 PM 4/22/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 03:28 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: install carpet on door panel? (Kale)

i just did this job to mine... it a pretty big job but you can do it.
1) once you remove the pannel lay it on a flat surface and remove the old carpet. the carpet will tear all to pieces but rip it off.
2) get a paint scraper and remove the old glue.( be careful not to damage the parts not covered by the carpet) remove all the old staples.
3) get some 3m yellow weather stripping adheasive and put it on the pannel where the old glue was. glue the bottom edge good.
4)align the carpet. stapel the top edge where the old staples were.( the vinal part is still insise out ) give it an hour or so to dry.
5) put a line of glue on the back edge of the pannel. roll the vinal part back and staple every half inch or so pulling the vinal tight as you go.
6) let it dry
7) get a razor blade and cut out the speaker hole and cut off the excess vinal on the back
8)drink a beer and put the pannel back on.
The following users liked this post:
87Blue (07-24-2022)
Old 04-22-2002, 04:04 PM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to go against the grain here...take the panels off and have someone do it for you. You need special glue, special stapler and lots of patience. Call a shop and ask what it would cost. It shouldn't be that much. I was going to send mine out (and I do everything myself) but I got new panels and they were already attached. Spend the few bucks and get it done professionally.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:14 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Re: install carpet on door panel? (JonM)

I am in the process of doing it now. It's a real PITA. I am doing it without removing the door panels. So far i have removed the old carpeting and glue. I also had a warpage problem at the bottom trim of the upper part of the door panel (where the saddle part of the door panel was warped out from the black underneath. It's been a three day process to correct this with a variety of adhesive compounds but i am almost there) I am almost ready to put the carpeting up. I have toyed with the idea of just wrapping the vinyl around the back of the carpeting and just gluing and stapling that bastard up there but i will probably take the time to wrap it around. If i had to do it again (and i may still go this route) i'd have a professinal put this on. By the way if you call to get quotes please post what they say. I am not working on this again till the weekend and am thinking if its 70 bucks or less i'll let someone else do it. If i were you i'd have a pro do it. It's not worth the hassle.

Bob
Old 04-22-2002, 07:56 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Default Re: install carpet on door panel? (robertpel9)

i fixed the warp problem using J-B weld, and putting a board over the lip with a clamp.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:17 PM
grsteve
Instructor

I wish that I would have had someone professional do mine. They didn't turn out poorly, just that it doesn't look as good as it could have. If you can get it done for $20-30 (taking the panels off yourself and taking them to the shop and reattaching them yourself), you wouldn't be spending too much to get this job done. The job of putting the carpet on is only about 20 minutes or so, max. Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:36 PM
Lv2Driv
Drifting

Default Re: install carpet on door panel? (grsteve)

thanks guys
Old 04-23-2002, 08:47 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Re: install carpet on door panel? (grsteve)

What is J-B weld and where can i get some. I am sick of thinking i have the warpage fixed only to see it come apart two days later.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-24-2018, 02:35 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I am doing the driver door as we speak, fixed the curled vinyl with the stapler, but my replacament carpet panel doesnt fold under its already sewn like it justs lays on, doesnt cover the edges now WTF do i do

Last edited by 85vegasvette; 05-24-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

I'm reading 14 posts of people I've never heard of, then realized its a 16 year old topic.

My first question would be is do you have the newer or older style interior? The newer style is more of a PITA to deal with.

I have some very minor pull back on the carpet panel in one area. I think some good adhesive should take care of that. I've used 3M on the headliner of a fiberglass pickup cap.

Get notified of new replies

To install carpet on door panel?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: install carpet on door panel?