C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing smog Pump and AC..How can I run a new serpintine belt?

Old 02-28-2002, 11:30 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Removing smog Pump and AC..How can I run a new serpintine belt?

The car is almost finished. Its for off road. I have removed the smog pump and the a/c unit. Question: How can I mount the alternator and power steering whil still using a serpintine belt?
:confused:
Old 02-28-2002, 01:24 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Default Re: Removing smog Pump and AC..How can I run a new serpintine belt? (Red5)

:confused:
Old 02-28-2002, 06:52 PM
Smitty's75
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Removing smog Pump and AC..How can I run a new serpintine belt? (Red5)

March pulleys will supply a system (pulleys) for you,,I already E-mailed them before on the same subject.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:37 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Removing smog Pump and AC..How can I run a new serpintine belt? (autoxer)

CAN YOU POST THE RESULTS ON THE MARCH PULLYS?
Old 03-01-2002, 01:03 AM
Vette Track Car
Intermediate

I pulled off the entire AC / tensioner assembly as well as the smog pump, mounted a bracket and idler pully inplace of the smog pump, built a heim joint adjuster rod to go between the new bracket and the top of the altenator, installed a short napa belt and adjusted it by tightning the altenator. Since then I have seen some old world challenge C4's that installed an old style opposite flow water pump with the same altenator setup as mine and they did not need the idler pulley I used for belt clearances. If you need more info contact me.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:17 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've removed my AC and did it by replacing the idler pulley (flat surface) with a pulley from a 1986 GM Berlinetta (ribbed surface). I also got a shorter belt becouse now the AC is gone. For the smog pump, you need an after market 'smog pump eliminator' kit. I forget the name of the manufacturer at the moment. If you want the GM part number for the pulley I can 'dig' it up for you. ...as well as the belt I use. Email me at webdyno@yahoo.com.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:38 AM
TrueBlue ChevyDude
Drifting

Location: Brandywine, Chester and Ridley Valleys Pennsylvania

Default Re: Removing smog Pump and AC..How can I run a new serpintine belt? (GRX)

I pulled both the Air Pump (used eliminator kit) and A/C compressor, and just got a smaller belt (68.5" I think), and routed the belt the same way except for going on the opposite side of the tensioner, because the A/C ain't there.

6 months, no problems, I know of other people on the forum who have done the same thing with no problems... I was afraid of the belt riding the wrong way (ribbed side of the belt riding against the smooth belt tensioner) and possibly slipping or cracking. No signs of problems at all.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:10 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Default Re: Removing smog Pump and AC..How can I run a new serpintine belt? (TrueBlue ChevyDude)

Question: How important is the tentioner? I have a possible plan that, facing the car from the front, would put the alternator on the top left, using a spacer and having a bcross bar going to the other side (this would be adjustable) and leaving the power steering pump where it is.
It was one of those , hmmm, I wonder if this would work type of things. Do you think this set up may work? Or do I HAVE to pay 247.00 for a smog pump eliminator and run my heavy ac comperssor?
Old 03-01-2002, 11:21 AM
TrueBlue ChevyDude
Drifting

Well, it's kind of important, of course to keep the belt properly tensioned throughout it's op. life, but also, more practically, in order to get the GD thing on there. I guess your adustable bar would do those things also, but you might need to keep an eye on it every month or so.

I had an 87 Z24 which had the tensioner inaccessible except from a lift. Of course, I found this out after removing the serpentine belt. I spent an hour trying to get it on, eventually getting it on by prying it as close as I could to the last pulley and then cranking the engine over a couple of times. :smash:

Take that darned AC and smog pump off. I think it'd work without the eliminator kit, maybe the alternator needs to be tilted.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Default Re: Removing smog Pump and AC..How can I run a new serpintine belt? (TrueBlue ChevyDude)

Have you ever looked at the serp belt when you rev the engine? Doesn't it seem to move about an inch on the tensioner? I wounder what happens if you don't have a tensioner on it?
Its possible that because my belt would have to be run rather tight, that it simple wouldn't move like the stock set up did.
Im concerned because I will be doing a lot of auto crossing and such.

True blue, you mentioned angling the alternator? What would this accomplish and why would I need to?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2002, 06:26 PM
Smitty's75
Drifting

Red,
When I E-mailed March they replied that they couldn't help me as long as I used the AC (no pulleys for it) so I assumed they can do it if you lose the AC,,give em a call!!

http://www.marchperf.com/
Old 03-02-2002, 11:36 AM
TrueBlue ChevyDude
Drifting

I was thinking that if you remove the airpump and don't put on the elim. kit, the belt might get hung up on/near stuff when it comes off the alternator. At least it would have on mine ('88). So I just bought the air pump elim kit, to be sure. The A/C side didn't matter, there was nothing in the way of the new route of the belt after I removed the A/C.

If you run w/o the tensioner, I'd say (and this is just a guess) that you're right, and you'd probably have to keep a spare belt (or two) with you, and keep an eye on the condition of the belt after every "romp" session.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:34 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Update:
I may have just fixed the problem. If it works out I will posts picts of it later.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Get notified of new replies

To Removing smog Pump and AC..How can I run a new serpintine belt?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing smog Pump and AC..How can I run a new serpintine belt?