C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what does the term "rake" mean

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 02:31 AM
David Haag
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does the term "rake" mean

earlier i read a post where a guy said all c-4s sit at a slight rake. it was a post about suspensions. what does he mean when he says slight rake? dave
Old 02-28-2002, 02:38 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what does the term "rake" mean (David Haag)

The rear end is higher than the front end.

More noticable on trucks, they sit two inches higher in the rear than they do in the front. Its common for lowering kits to be called by their respectable amounts, such as a 2 inch front and 4 inch rear drop, called a 2/4 drop.

On trucks its an extra bit of suspension travel when you load the back down. I can't figure out why they do it to cars though. :confused:
Old 02-28-2002, 03:36 AM
Daniel DK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: what does the term "rake" mean (NoWorries)

I believe it pushes the car to the ground because of the air flowing across the body....
:chevy :cheers:
Old 02-28-2002, 10:49 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: what does the term "rake" mean (Daniel DK)

The C4 was designed with a lower front to prevent airborne flight at high speeds. Think of the whole front hood as an aircraft elevator. Also, stick your hand out the window driving down the highway exactly flat. Do you feel any down force? Nope, but tilt the front of your hand down just a smidge and you will start to feel down force. You want more air over a car then under it for two reasons. Less air underneath creates a vacuum and will help the car adhere, and more air over the top creates more down force. The tradeoff is friction and loss of speed......need more power to stick more and more and more........
Old 02-28-2002, 11:48 AM
caseyc
Racer

Default Re: what does the term "rake" mean (David Haag)

1 a : an implement equipped with projecting prongs to gather material (as leaves) or for loosening or smoothing the surface of the ground b : a machine for gathering hay
2 : an implement like a rake
Old 02-28-2002, 12:13 PM
jvesalga
Racer

Default Re: what does the term "rake" mean (caseyc)

"1 a : an implement equipped with projecting prongs to gather material (as leaves) or for loosening or smoothing the surface of the ground b : a machine for gathering hay"

Hmmm, I am going to get one of these for the hood of my 84. Bet it will go much faster.

Get notified of new replies

To what does the term "rake" mean

Quick Reply: what does the term "rake" mean