C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 06:04 PM
Timothy2468
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best air filter?

Who's got the best upgrade for the C5?
Old 01-19-2002, 06:49 PM
SwissVette_Joe
Racer

Default Re: Best air filter? (Timothy2468)

John, hi,

Are you speaking from the filter-unit itself or do you ask for more infos about the entire Air Intake System (cold air ev.)?

BTW: WELCOME TO THE FORUM, you have greetings from overseas, Switzerland! Enjoy your ride and stay safe all the time! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Joe.

[Modified by SwissVette_Joe, 11:50 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 02:27 AM
Timothy2468
Advanced

Default Re: Best air filter? (SwissVette_Joe)

-Joe
I guess it would be the entire air induction system. I read a little info on
the Donaldson air filter, but it sounds like it doesn't come with anything else.
-Tom
Old 01-20-2002, 02:46 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Timothy:

I have and like the Donaldson Blackwing. Biggest surface area out there, and well made quality piece from the biggest manufacturer of filters in the world.

Will last you 100,000 miles, and it definitely improves the performance.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:47 AM
C5Cemo
Melting Slicks

Hey Tom,

You should check out this poll: What's the best intake system for the buck?. There is a lot of info about your options.

The top 2 vote-getters are the Donaldson(for static air) and the Vortex(for cold air). Both of these are great sellers and very well respected for their performance increases over stock.

Speaking of...I noticed you have a '99 like me...our stock airbox is VERY restrictive therefore any aftermarket intake is gonna make a big difference.

Which one? That really depends on your needs and expectations. A cold air setup is superior to a static for performance purposes but that's not the best route for everyone. Besides, a static kit like the Donaldson will make almost all of the same improvement at less price and it's easier to install and maintain.

Thanks

[Modified by C5Cemo, 12:49 AM 1/20/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 02:51 AM
Nate@CorvetteGarage
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

We sell them all and the Donaldson Blackwing is our best seller.
No cutting or modifying for installation, super hi quality, the largest surface area of them all and a indicator showing when its time to clean. We have them on sale too! Thanks!

Nate
Old 01-20-2002, 01:12 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Best air filter? (Nate@xtreme)

What about for 2002. All the vendors I have checked so far only show 97-00, nothing about 2001 and 2002. I assume something is different. So, where to buy and how much?
Old 01-20-2002, 02:01 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Default Re: Best air filter? (vettenuts)

For '01/'02 the MAF is bigger, which means you need a different coupler to attach the filter to the MAF. The Donaldson comes with the needed piece, I'm not sure about the others, but I would assume it is available if you specify the year when you order. I'm very happy with the Blackwing, extremely simple install, no cutting, about 20 minutes total.

I forgot - $225 from Exit 28. Quick and helpful service.

[Modified by DsC5, 1:05 PM 1/20/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 08:58 PM
SwissVette_Joe
Racer

John, ok, going back to your leading motiv AIR FILTER/AIR INTAKE SYSTEM

Let me try to lead you through. Last year, while going through some in-depth evaluation re an likely upgrade to the C5's Air Intake System/Section, I tried also to gain as much of information as possible. Again, this was only possible due to the intense contribution of countless CF-Members - "I highly esteem you all for that, hear me??!!!!". The following recommendations are polarized to an "Cold Air Intake System", b/c most powerful solution.

Unfortunately it IS a reality, that the so-called "Aftermarket" in Switzerland is pretty dry if even non-existing (some very few exceptions although, but which let desire b/c little outdated, I am sorry to mention this!...we need some progress!), so "my personal Aftermarket" is a virtual one => I go via the Internet, mail-order, with the totality of all my C5-purchases. This is absolutely easy going, thanx again to the performance of many of the CF-Vendors.

Due to my profession, I am deeply if not totally aerodynamic's biased. My goal was, from the beginning, to have an AIS which would respond to aerodynamics basics => most possible DENSE, STRAIGHT and SMOOTH/LAMINAR AIRFLOW. Finally I found out that >>MTI/HOUSTON<< (CF-Vendor, as well as recognized and reputated C5-Tuner!!) is the only Company, which actually builds on their own an AIS in regard to my "personal Functional Specifications".

As I really do NOT want to hurt anyone on this CF which might defend his own qualified opinion for an other product, I am however pleased to confirm that MTI's setup is indeed an AWESOME one, their's AIS is technically totally inspiring in any scale, well, with a price slightly higher than their numerous Competitors. Performance ..//.. price relation IS still correct and overall affordable.

Nevertheless, I can guarantee you that you would not and never regret to having purchased this cold air AIS => MTI RamAir Intake System. Take also into consideration and look carefully around what you will receive for your hard earned money. Following some of the tech features =>

- Shovel-shaped Air Intake collector, sitting pretty low just under the front bumper pointing right into the powerful airstream under the car. You can not see this except you go down to your knees and look under your car
- Relatively high sitting flat-shaped panel AirFilter, OEM from K&N (33-2118), looks like stocker paper filter. Minimal risk to water ingestion.
- System is supplied INCLUDING all hardware PLUS a brand new OEM/GM C5 radiatior shroud, at which all the other parts of the system are already pre- mounted. Everything comes READY TO FIT into your car, packed in one solid box. Nothing to cut or to adapt, no risk of any misfit.
- Relatively easy access to the filter-element in case of maintenance, from top
- Installed system looks as OEM, just much more professional and much "nicer"
- Upper filter-housing is produced from some kind of solid/reinforced black glossy ABS
- As your ride is also M/Y 99, the transition to the MAFS is real easy. No adapters. MAFS is a direct fit right into the "outlet-nozzle" of the upper filter-housing and fixed into position with a strong SS-clamp
- The rest towards the Throttle-body is as you desire (possibly enhanced Airbridge) or may remain stock (I went the BPP route, also a perfect solution)
- You may keep your de-installed OEM radiator-shroud with you just in case of
- The installation may be realized by little personal effort. Nice weekend project. There is no rocket-science. Everything is in fact straight forward.
- The elbow rubber-hose of the smog-pump inlet fits perfectly at the OEM position right into the upper filter-housing and NOT as with many others by doing some botch-up and improvisation
- Instructions are supplied to the unit
- The overall appearance of this MTI AIS installed is called convincing, professional, slim, sleek and not bulky, really shiny

After installation, of course I was not to wait for the first test ride. Idle relearn was no biggie and off we were. You might instantly feel THE DIFFERENCE to what you had before (SOTP.....what a surprise). Go, shut down radio/CD-set and listen now to your engine......your allmighty LS1 might yell to you: "...big thanx John, now finally I can really BREAEAEAEEEAETH!!!!" Go 2'500rpm......3'000rpm and check your face:....see that BIG LARGE GRIN overthere... :) :cool:

Now this was one lenghty, but hope it may help to lead you (and also other fellow VETTERs in same position) to decision. If you have any supplementary questions, do not hesitate to drop me an e-mail, I can send you also some pictures "after install" and want to provide you with some more hints and tips I don't want to mention here.

Whatever you will do, I wish you good luck and do not forget to contact MTI (NOOONo, ......I am not affiliated with them, but a little biased, ok, call me guilty but do not kill me, all is fault to MTI's outstanding quality work).

Pls go check their WebSite: http://www.motorsporttech.com You may want to contact JAYSON, he is the Owner of the Company and really assisting to all your inquiries you might have.

Again, I wish you good luck with your decision :cheers: :cheers: :seeya

Joe

[Modified by SwissVette_Joe, 2:02 AM 1/21/2002]

[Modified by SwissVette_Joe, 2:10 AM 1/21/2002]

[Modified by SwissVette_Joe, 5:38 PM 1/21/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 09:21 PM
wstory1
Race Director

I'm happy with my Donaldson.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Timothy2468
Advanced

Default Re: Best air filter? (wstory1)

Thanks everybody for your help. I'm going to research the MTI a little more
before deciding. I'm convinced that the cold air induction is the way to go.
It makes sense
-Tom :flag
Old 01-22-2002, 10:02 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd go with a Vortex. Best bang for th buck.

Get notified of new replies

To Best air filter?

Quick Reply: Best air filter?