C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge - Still malfunctioning after 2 siphon pump replacements!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 11:32 AM
GRNNREG
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Gauge - Still malfunctioning after 2 siphon pump replacements!!!!!

Is anyone else having this chronic problem.

The first siphon pump replacement was made in December 1999. This pump was suppose to be a new design which eliminated the defective design of the original pump. The second siphon pump was replace in July 2001. This past week the same problem occurred with the fuel gauge dropping from half full to empty in an instant with all the associated lights and warning bells going off.

After each pump replacement the problem went away but eventually returned. My question is: will gas continued to be processed normally even with these reading on the DIC or will the car stop running for lack of gas even though there is still 10 gallons of gas in the tank? I can't tell you how much fun this is when this occurs and you are in the middle of nowhere and you are not sure you are going to make it to the next filling station.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:39 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Fuel Gauge - Still malfunctioning after 2 siphon pump replacements!!!!! (GRNNREG)

Sorry to hear about your continual problem. :( In my past experience with all the weird things that have happened to my car. I have found that even though gauges drop to 0 and the DIC goes crazy. The car still runs, continues to pump fuel and drives like it always did. Hopefully some codes were set and stored in the PCM so when you take it to the dealership they can fix whatever has happened again.

Happy New Year to you and your Family!! :cheers:

All of your old friends are still here for you if you need us. :yesnod:

vetterdstr :seeya
Old 12-30-2001, 11:54 AM
Chuck Broten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Gauge - Still malfunctioning after 2 siphon pump replacements!!!!! (GRNNREG)

Sorry about the return of the problem. I recently had mine fixed by the Opel dealer (Umhey-Schmitt) in Mannheim. Haven't had the problem return and sure hope it doesn't. When it did I just used a trip meter so that I knew, generally, where I was at. The alarms were a little annoying though.

You might want to check and see if the parts that were placed were the correct ones. I seem to recall that there were variations depending on part numbers.

By the way, all you Corvette owners (mostly warranty), I am quite pleased with the service I received by the Opel (spelled GM) dealer mentioned above. I was given a no=cost (kostenlos) rental car while they had mine which was great since my C5 is my daily driver. While they had C5s on the show room floor, they didn't give me one as the loaner. At the same time they were fixing the fuel gauge problem they were fixing 'the leaking differential' problem. It took nearly a month for them to get all the parts from the states and when I picked up my Vette I was truely reaquainted with what a great car it is..... ahhhhhhhhhh..... I'm back on the Autobahn again driving in the left lane.

Happy New Year everyone!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :D :D
Old 12-30-2001, 12:01 PM
JimJL
Pro

Default Re: Fuel Gauge - Still malfunctioning after 2 siphon pump replacements!!!!! (vetterdstr)

I am currently having this problem for the first time, its good to know i shouldn't run out of gas just because the guage says mt, I plan on bringing it to the dealer after the holidays, the other day after filling it at the 1/2 mark it took 15 min. for the guage to slowly rise to full, another poster says it the fuel sender. its the first problem the cars had with 10000 miles and 2 years of use. :seeya
Old 12-30-2001, 12:09 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

When I finally took mine in this summer to have this fixed it took three shots. There's nothing quite like driving away from the dealer and within minutes displaying the problem it was in to repair. Repeatedly. :cuss So much for QA... Maybe third time's the charm? ;)
Old 12-30-2001, 12:27 PM
Chuck Broten
Racer

I doubt this is important, but my problem did not occur until I had 20K miles while I was on vacation in Norway. Kinda scared me, I got out of the car and looked for a leak!
Old 12-30-2001, 12:52 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The siphon jet pump (sender) is in the right tank...Have them replace the sender in the left tank (also updated)...Both have caused faulty gauge readings :yesnod:
Old 12-30-2001, 09:09 PM
C5GARY
Racer

Hi Herb!
I tried once to get mine fixed after you gave me that info about the new siphon pump.. they told me they couldn't fix it because its fine now (Central Chev in Fremont.. won't ever go there again). It happens so infrequently, I am convinced its not worth worrying about. I am now at 41K and never been stuck in the middle of nowhere! It did happen a couple months ago in 3 days in the exact same place on my new morning commute. I was stuck in traffic so I tried what I wanted for the last 2 years.. just turn it off and right back on.. Guess what? It reset and was fine (at least until the next day). Try that next time it happens. I think it may be a software problem... IMHO I don't think anyone is really getting it fixed, it just happens so infrequently they think it is fixed ;)
Meanwhile, mine is out of warrantee anyway and I don't want them breaking anything else.
Gary
now Dublin, CA (commute to San Jose)
'99 Pewter/oak MN6/Z51/etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gauge - Still malfunctioning after 2 siphon pump replacements!!!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge - Still malfunctioning after 2 siphon pump replacements!!!!!