C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins???

Old 12-21-2001, 10:33 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins???

I had my Caliper Brackets Nickel/Zinc plated. I had to remove the guide pins. Now I am ready to clean and regrease them and need to use the right lubricant.

I have a tube of White lithium grease. Will this be ok for that purpose?

The manual makes no mention of the grease type needed...
Old 12-21-2001, 10:45 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins??? (chuckster)

The best product to use is a silicone based grease. Your auto parts store should have several types available made specifically for brake applications. It will not harden with age or heat. When assembling, also be sure to put a small amount at the points where the pads seat in the bracket and where the caliper meets the backing plate of the pads. This will go a long way towards keeping them quiet.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:06 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins??? (chuckster)

CHJ is right; use silicone grease or "dielectric" grease and you will be OK. :)
Old 12-21-2001, 11:13 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuckster;

I recently bought some synthetic brake caliiper grease. It's made by CRC and the part No. on the package is SL33011. Their number is 800-521-3168, if you want to call ablut where you can get it in your area. This product looks real good for what you have in mind. :yesnod:
Old 12-21-2001, 11:22 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Guys I don't need grease for the pads...

These are the actual Guide PINS that go into the caliper Brackets. It's the pin that the Caliper bolts get bolted into. I suspect it needs to be a high temp grease.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:46 AM
chuckster
Race Director

TTT
I am right in the middle of this project....I guess I can't go wrong with wheel bearing grease...
Old 12-21-2001, 12:07 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff

Wheel bearing grease is exactly what you don't want on those pins. You need a high temp silicone brake grease, not dielectric grease.

GM make a very good lube for brakes, but comes in a very large tube. You can try Permatex's Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube P/N 20356 which comes in those little squeeze tubes and is very good.

Good Luck,

Pete
Old 12-21-2001, 12:15 PM
willi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevy manual says silicone grease.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:09 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Default Re: What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins??? (PeteL)

These are the Guide pins that go into the the caliper BRACKET. They are 3 inches long. This question has noting to do with the brake pads...

Sorry, for the rant. I can't explain it any better than I have.

[Modified by chuckster, 4:13 PM 12/21/2001]
Old 12-21-2001, 02:19 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

That was the question I answered.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:08 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Hey Chuckster, I can't be more precise, the CRC synthetic brake calaper grease that I recommended IS a high temperature grease that is suitable for the guide pins or any other part that need lubrication on your brakes. I think we all know what you are talking about, and are trying to provide good advice. For pete's sake don't use axle grease or regular grease on the pins. Use the high them CRC grease that I originally recommended. It will work fine. Believe me, I have used this grease. :cool:
Old 12-21-2001, 03:36 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins??? (Jim 47)

Or you could try K-Y jelly.

For pete's sake don't use axle grease
I think he should not use it for Chuck's sake :D
Old 12-21-2001, 03:54 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins??? (PeteL)

Right you are PeteL. Happy Hollidays :D :D :D :D :D
Old 12-21-2001, 06:16 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Default Re: What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins??? (Jim 47)

Jim, I found 450 Degree Silicone grease at Ace Hardware. Is this OK????

Old 12-21-2001, 10:36 PM
FUN4JT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I've found 450 degree silicone lubricant is a dual purpose lubricant, works much better then KY. :lol:
Old 12-21-2001, 11:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Default Re: What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins??? (FUN4JT)

I use Permatex Anti-Seize compound on my calipers. I put it on the pins and at all points where two metal surfaces will slide across each other. This includes the pad mounting points on each end and for the C5 in the center of the backing plate where the caliper spring touches the plate. The Permatex stuff is good for exhaust system parts and stays slippery. Advance Auto Parts sells a different anti-seize compound that should not be used since it gums up after a while.
Bill
Old 12-21-2001, 11:18 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins??? (Bill Dearborn)

That's very interesting, but you are using the wrong goo. These parts require a very high temp lubricant, not anti-sieze. If you read the shop manual and listen to the posts when somebody asks, you will find that there is the correct product for the job. Using this knowledge will prevent future posts that contains topics like: I rebuilt my brakes last year, why does my car pull to the right and the pads are not wearing evenly? :D

Get notified of new replies

To What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins???

Old 12-21-2001, 11:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Pete,
I have been using this stuff on all of my cars and trucks for over twenty years and have never had a problem. When I have replaced pads after several winters of running through salt and sand I have always found the Permatex Anti-Seize to be still slippery and it kept the areas where it was used from rusting and preventing the caliper from freezing up. Biggest problem is getting the stuff off if you get it in the wrong place. If it can take 1300 degree exhaust heat it sure can take 1000 degree brake pad heat. That is also why I said to use the Permatex Anti-Seize and not some other brand.
Bill
Old 12-21-2001, 11:44 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins??? (Bill Dearborn)

Bill, can't argue with experience. I've never tried a really good anti-seize as a brake component lube. If this can take exhaust temps it must have the little glass beads in it, which is interesting to consider in a brake application.

To eat some crow, that's why we all read the forums! :D
Old 12-22-2001, 12:42 AM
chuckster
Race Director

ttt

Is it ok to use 450 degree silicone grease

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What type of grease do I use on the Caliper Bracket Guide pins???