Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] What are the major differences between the Z06 and the base coupe?

Old 12-14-2001, 03:18 AM
SSGuy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the major differences between the Z06 and the base coupe?

If I'm going to mod a base coup, is there really a reason to get the Z06? Just trying to make the best purchasing decision for what I want. I know the Z06 is killer, but if I can spend the same $ and get a more powerful car, I'm all for that :) Thanks!
Old 12-14-2001, 07:04 AM
JerryL
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: What are the major differences between the Z06 and the base coupe? (SSGuy)

If you're just looking for straight line speed you can mod a standard C5 and have a faster car for less money. If you want a balanced package, that does everything well, go for the Z. The coupe is a world class sports car, the Z is a supercar.
The following users liked this post:
Hepcat (03-06-2020)
Old 12-14-2001, 08:48 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

Default Re: What are the major differences between the Z06 and the base coupe? (JerryL)

SSGuy welcome!!!! As said you can make any car fast, the Z06 has everything, and the handling and feel of the car is something you have to experience to believe, I know until I got my Z06 I did not believe the differences could be that great, they are and this is my 7th Vette.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:00 AM
yelloz06
Pro

Default Re: What are the major differences between the Z06 and the base coupe? (hcvone)

It's a COMPLETE package :)
:cheers:
Old 12-14-2001, 10:32 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: What are the major differences between the Z06 and the base coupe? (SSGuy)

If I'm going to mod a base coup, is there really a reason to get the Z06? Just trying to make the best purchasing decision for what I want.
The key is in determining exactly what it is that you want. The Z provides lots of power, great handling, and all that other performance stuff .. plus HUD, climate control, and a few other niceties that come standard... and it comes with a warranty. As soon as you start adding power goodies, you may put some elements of your warranty at risk. If you spin your own wrenches, this may not be a problem. The Z is an amazing package. Highly recommended.

If straight-line performance is all you're interested in, there are undoubtedly cheaper ways to go. Good luck in your decision, and welcome to the forum.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:07 PM
J Lance Miller
Racer

The Z06 is:
$8,700.00 more than the coupe (MSRP 14 Dec 2001 http://www.chevrolet.com)
Not available in Light Pewter Metallic, Magnetic Red Metallic or Speedway White
Not available with a 12 disk CD changer
Not available with runcraps
Not available with an automatic
Not available without 55 more HP
Not available without HUD
Not available without better brakes, tires and suspension
Not available without looking cooler than anything else on the planet...

As you can see, it is really quite a crappy deal - you can find better deals elsewhere - I can't think of any right now, but I am sure you could.

Seriously, enjoy the hunt - good luck with whatever you end up with.

Old 12-14-2001, 06:04 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Alright, how bout a little biased input from a coupe owner?! I like the lines of the coupe better, I like my navy blue on tan color combo, I like the trunk space and other niceties. I have driven several coupes and several Z06's, both cars on racetracks, and I've driven modded C5's and ones with GSC tires, so I think my input is pretty valid. With a minimal amount of money (read - thousands less than the difference in price), you can do slight mods to a coupe to make it nearly equal to a Z06. The difference in the cars is really pretty subtle and in my estimation, comes down to the tires for 80-90% of the difference in handling. No joke. If you do a lot of driving on a racetrack and want the best, by all means get a Z06, it's the best. If you can live with that 10-20% difference and want to save a couple bucks and have some of the niceties of the coupe like the sport seats and removable top, then get the coupe. The Z06 is really a marginally better car than the coupe, most noticeable at the limits on a road course / racetrack.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:34 PM
MY 2002 Z06
Instructor

Default Re: What are the major differences between the Z06 and the base coupe? (RichieRich)

I have driven several coupes and several Z06's, both cars on racetracks, and I've driven modded C5's and ones with GSC tires, so I think my input is pretty valid. With a minimal amount of money (read - thousands less than the difference in price), you can do slight mods to a coupe to make it nearly equal to a Z06. The difference in the cars is really pretty subtle and in my estimation, comes down to the tires for 80-90% of the difference in handling
I too have driven both a Z06 (own one) and a regular C5 on track and street. I must disagree with your opinion. Yes, the tires are a help on the Z06 but I have run Hoosier road race tires on both a Z06 and C5. So my opinion takes tires out of the equation. I am not going to list all the performance differences since you probably know them, but would estimate you may get to 95% of Z06 performance before eating up the price difference. Its very hard to say really, but I have rode, driven and followed a C5 on the track with thousands of performance/track add-ons, and while it was as fast in a straight line with its mods, the C5's weight, balance, gearing and inferior suspension prevented it from keeping up with the Z06 everywhere else. And it wasn't driver, because we swapped cars and the result was the same. (Actually worse, because I had a tendency to "use up" his car by attempting to drive it like my Z06). But that is just my 2 cents and you need to purchase what works for you. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:46 PM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

When considering the Z06, maybe use the following advice I have found to be true thru the years: Buy the most factory performance you can afford!! THis goes for cars motorcycles, waverunners, and about anything else. You cannot beat Factory designed performance for a starting point. Buy the Z06, its considerably faster than the coupe, and you do NOTHING, just change the oil. Little mods are just icing. I've modded about everything over the years, nothing is more a pain than hopping up something to just be even with something someone else just bought. Bikes are that way, every year it seems like the new model is faster than last years modded one, and more reliable to boot.
As for the differences Z06 vrs coupe:
How about a completely unique body style
Better heads, cam, intake, clutch, block
Different transmission ratios for better accelleration
Unique bigger wheels
Better and bigger tires
Red brake calipers
Titanium exhaust( another unique item)
Upgraded drive shaft
Different Speedo and tach
Special logo on seats
Lighter by about 100 lbs
Probably other items too
Old 12-14-2001, 08:18 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: What are the major differences between the Z06 and the base coupe? (LT1GMC)

I've had the Coupe, Convertible and now have the Z06 and they don't make a better sports car for the money than the Z06. :yesnod:
You need to drive one to understand the Z06 is the only way to get this kind of performance with a warranty.
Best of luck. :cheers:
Old 12-15-2001, 11:45 AM
SSGuy
2nd Gear

Wow, thanks for all the responses and welcoming me to this forum. I've been reading the topics off and on and really appreciate the people that post here.

Ok, so yes, if $ were no object a yellow, Carvaggio targa topped Z06 would be in my garage right now :chevy. It looks like I really need to drive both to compare.

Is there a dealership that can offer a below MSRP price on a Z06? That's what is really deciding which car I get, hee hee. I bought a DuPont registry and will start calling the dealerships listed there as well as the ones listed on this forum and c5registry.com.

Thanks everybody!
Old 03-06-2020, 06:19 PM
novasscnc
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Looking for a sight that lists the difference between a 03 zo6 and a base c5. Thanks
Old 03-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

just one, Night & Day !!!!!
Old 03-06-2020, 07:04 PM
novasscnc
Pro

You are correct no doubt about., looking for a list of the differences I think I know most of them would like to confirm thanks
Old 03-06-2020, 07:05 PM
novasscnc
Pro

How's the weather in Sooner country?
Old 03-06-2020, 07:18 PM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

Did anyone notice this thread is 19 years old. Just saying. I'm sure he has made a decision.

C5 4 Me
The following users liked this post:
mcm95403 (03-07-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 07:24 PM
novasscnc
Pro

I do see that, having trouble starting a new post, just asking a simple question about the Z06, I saw a list on this sight and can not find it

Get notified of new replies

To What are the major differences between the Z06 and the base coupe?

Old 03-06-2020, 08:14 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by novasscnc
I do see that, having trouble starting a new post, just asking a simple question about the Z06, I saw a list on this sight and can not find it
Z06 FAQ Sticky

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tions-faq.html
Old 03-06-2020, 08:22 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,925 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

There's no such thing as a base C5.

Just threads brought back from the holy hell dead.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:25 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

lol an 18 yr old thread..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] What are the major differences between the Z06 and the base coupe?