C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Advice, please: Restoring T.I. in a '65.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 02:37 AM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Advice, please: Restoring T.I. in a '65.

Hello:

I recently purchased a 1965 Coupe (327/365) which originally had the K66 T.I. option. Currently has a MSD. What's the best way for me to go about collecting the various parts of a T.I. system for eventual installation? Ebay? Particular vendors with good credentials? Thanks.

Matt
Old 07-05-2014, 05:42 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Matt,

What distributor is in it? If you have MSD, they likely took out the original TI unit and put in a generic points type and replaced them with the modified MSD pickup?

If so, the TI distributor may be a bit tricky to find. According to the data I have....Here, you need a 1111060 distributor. This has the TI magnet and pickup coil arrangement as original. You'll likely also have to do some vacuum testing to select the proper vacuum advance unit for your engine. That's a whole different subject.

I would not recommend buying a used harness or used original type amplifier module. You may find a nice used case on Ebay, etc, but don't buy a used amp module. It is likely junk. If you find a used case you can restore it. but keep in mind there were various configurations of the cases and even the decals over the years. If you're ultimately thinking of getting your car judged, do lots of homework.

So you also need the TI harness(es) and TI module/case. Is your TI module case still mounted to the radiator support? If so, I recommend you acquire the K & B Special Products TI Amplifier module. I've used their products with good success, and it has a lifetime warranty. I get mine from Zip Products.....Here.

If you need the entire module/case assembly, they have those Here.

I've used the Zip Products supplied TI harness. It's made by M & H in California and it's a high quality harness. You'll need the module short plug extension harness also, along with the necessary hardware to mount everything.

In using this unit, you'll also need the right coil. I think you'll need a 1115207, or a correct replacement for TI. Here or Here.

You'll be removing your ballast resistor if still there. It depends on the existing coil, as being if internal or external ballast type.

Bring lotsa' money for this conversion.

Rich

Last edited by rich5962; 07-05-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by rich5962
Matt,

What distributor is in it? If you have MSD, they likely took out the original TI unit and put in a generic points type and replaced them with the modified MSD pickup?

If so, the TI distributor may be a bit tricky to find. According to the data I have....Here, you need a 1111060 distributor. This has the TI magnet and pickup coil arrangement as original. You'll likely also have to do some vacuum testing to select the proper vacuum advance unit for your engine. That's a whole different subject.

I would not recommend buying a used harness or used original type amplifier module. You may find a nice used case on Ebay, etc, but don't buy a used amp module. It is likely junk. If you find a used case you can restore it. but keep in mind there were various configurations of the cases and even the decals over the years. If you're ultimately thinking of getting your car judged, do lots of homework.

So you also need the TI harness(es) and TI module/case. Is your TI module case still mounted to the radiator support? If so, I recommend you acquire the K & B Special Products TI Amplifier module. I've used their products with good success, and it has a lifetime warranty. I get mine from Zip Products.....Here.

If you need the entire module/case assembly, they have those Here.

I've used the Zip Products supplied TI harness. It's made by M & H in California and it's a high quality harness. You'll need the module short plug extension harness also, along with the necessary hardware to mount everything.

In using this unit, you'll also need the right coil. I think you'll need a 1115207, or a correct replacement for TI. Here or Here.

You'll be removing your ballast resistor if still there. It depends on the existing coil, as being if internal or external ballast type.

Rich
Wow, I gotta say that is quite the detailed answer. I had daydreamed "what would it take to add K66 to my '65," but this makes it clear - this is not a casual change.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I can`t help with an 1111060 but if your interested I have a restored 1111157 5L15 which is correct for a 66 327 / 350hp
Old 07-05-2014, 07:54 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,028 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Rich
Not necessarily so.
I have a 65 with TI. I just changed out the harness. My harness came from LI Corvette, made by Lectric Limited and very high quality too.

Speak to TI Specialties at the link below before you start with a parts house catalog. He can set you up with what you need for less than you might think. This is a simple conversion.

http://www.tispecialty.com/

Dan
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dplotkin
Not necessarily so.
I have a 65 with TI. I just changed out the harness. My harness came from LI Corvette, made by Lectric Limited and very high quality too.

Speak to TI Specialties at the link below before you start with a parts house catalog. He can set you up with what you need for less than you might think. This is a simple conversion.

http://www.tispecialty.com/

Dan
Dan, If he needs the TI distributor, and the case and the module, and the coil and the harness and misc bits......... this is not a few hundred bucks.

I paid $1100 for a used 427 TI distributor a few years ago. I restored the TI case, but all together it was around $1500 when I was done.

Dave Fiedler is great, knowledgeable, helpful, etc.... but his items are not inexpensive.

Rich
Old 07-05-2014, 09:47 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,028 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Dan, If he needs the TI distributor, and the case and the module, and the coil and the harness and misc bits......... this is not a few hundred bucks.

I paid $1100 for a used 427 TI distributor a few years ago. I restored the TI case, but all together it was around $1500 when I was done.

Dave Fiedler is great, knowledgeable, helpful, etc.... but his items are not inexpensive.

Rich
Rich, I'm merely pointing out there is more than one way to accomplish the OP's mission. No one thinks it's a few hundred, but it doesn't have to be egregiously expensive either. Besides, I'd like him to feel encouraged to put the born- with TI back in his car.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 07-05-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:18 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I may be wrong here but aren't all the tach drive 63/67 corvette distributors the same except for the wsights and vacuum canister?? Why couldn't he purchsse a points version corvette distributor and simply add the correct items to it instead paying a premium price for a prebuilt unit or looking for a specific housing. The metal bands are available through LIC from what I remember.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:01 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dplotkin
Rich, I'm merely pointing out there is more than one way to accomplish the OP's mission. No one thinks it's a few hundred, but it doesn't have to be egregiously expensive either. Besides, I'd like him to feel encouraged to put the born- with TI back in his car.

Dan
I understand, and agree if it came with TI and if he's thinking judging then he needs the proper pieces.

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
I may be wrong here but aren't all the tach drive 63/67 corvette distributors the same except for the wsights and vacuum canister?? Why couldn't he purchsse a points version corvette distributor and simply add the correct items to it instead paying a premium price for a prebuilt unit or looking for a specific housing. The metal bands are available through LIC from what I remember.
The TI distributors are unique, with some special hardware to accommodate the pole piece(magnet & pickup coil). You can't just swap out the VA and weights.

Here's a '67 BB TI type. You can see it's quite different up top. I'm not positive, but I believe the shaft is different between TI/non-TI as well.

Rich
Attached Images    
Old 07-05-2014, 12:04 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

I think if you check you will find the magnet/wires shown above are from a very late over the counter magnet or a service/ over the counter distributor, the wires should be married together, both white one with a green tracer stripe like this one.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

[QUOTE=

The TI distributors are unique, with some special hardware to accommodate the pole piece(magnet & pickup coil). You can't just swap out the VA and weights.

Here's a '67 BB TI type. You can see it's quite different up top. I'm not positive, but I believe the shaft is different between TI/non-TI as well.

Rich[/QUOTE]

actually with the pieces above you can turn any points distributor into a ti and with the exception of the full race 1111263 ball bearing distributor the mainshafts are interchangeable.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I really appreciate all the feedback. Going to do some homework and chart a course. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:08 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I think if you check you will find the magnet/wires shown above are from a very late over the counter magnet or a service/ over the counter distributor, the wires should be married together, both white one with a green tracer stripe like this one.
Yes, it's a OTC version, and yes that solid green should be a white/green tracer. The two wires are married but pulled apart a bit at the plug, the way I got it. I learned that stuff from you long ago with your great collection of TI pieces.

Originally Posted by redvetracr
actually with the pieces above you can turn any points distributor into a ti and with the exception of the full race 1111263 ball bearing distributor the mainshafts are interchangeable.
Good info, good to know, Thanks.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Mikesa
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

I just did this to my 65 365HP HL engine. Got a TI Distributor on the forum here for about $400, got an NOS 236 vacuum can on Ebay for $70, bought a correct amp unit with the early backing plate at Carlisle for $125. Bought a new transistor board for the amp from Crane for $130. Bought a repro 203 coil on Ebay for $135, got a new TI harness for about $130. Got an NOS Patent Pending (no R) Distributor Cap on Ebay for $75. My car is an early 65 so I wanted the early backing plate on the TI amp (slightly different) and the early 365 TI cars had 203 coils and then went to 207's. I was lucky no one drilled a hole in my firewall for the resistor, that's no longer needed. The Cap and original vacuum can took some eagle eye searching. I did all this over the past year. Hope I didn't screw any of this up but writing this from memory.

Mike

In doing all this, as I recall, it seems the different TI distributor part/tag numbers relate to to vacuum advance curves springs/weights, but many know more than I in this area

Last edited by Mikesa; 07-05-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-06-2014, 07:00 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mikes19
I just did this to my 65 365HP HL engine. Got a TI Distributor on the forum here for about $400, got an NOS 236 vacuum can on Ebay for $70, bought a correct amp unit with the early backing plate at Carlisle for $125. Bought a new transistor board for the amp from Crane for $130. Bought a repro 203 coil on Ebay for $135, got a new TI harness for about $130. Got an NOS Patent Pending (no R) Distributor Cap on Ebay for $75. My car is an early 65 so I wanted the early backing plate on the TI amp (slightly different) and the early 365 TI cars had 203 coils and then went to 207's. I was lucky no one drilled a hole in my firewall for the resistor, that's no longer needed. The Cap and original vacuum can took some eagle eye searching. I did all this over the past year. Hope I didn't screw any of this up but writing this from memory.

Mike

In doing all this, as I recall, it seems the different TI distributor part/tag numbers relate to to vacuum advance curves springs/weights, but many know more than I in this area
Nice!

That's what I did, I shopped around over time searching. But I wanted a originally configured distributor, and found a great one with the original correct dated tag for the engine. it sat on the shelf for a long time according to the seller. It had a pickup coil problem but I was able to repair it.

One general note about the replacement pickup coils. I've been told by Dave Fiedler that the Asian imports are not so good. Also, Ken Anderson at K & B Special Products, who makes the TI Amplifiers, has had issues with the Asian pickup coils using his amps.

If you can find good used original GM parts you are better off. Dave has some nos but won't part with them. he saves them for his complete rebuilds.

BTW....Here's a pdf with lots of good info about distributor configurations......

Rich
Attached Images

Get notified of new replies

To Advice, please: Restoring T.I. in a '65.

Quick Reply: Advice, please: Restoring T.I. in a '65.