C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

drive, trailer or ship?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default drive, trailer or ship?

I'm close to making a deal on a 63 SWC. 59K miles, powerglide, 250HP car. It's 1,200 miles away but I'd like to fly in and drive it home. Am I nuts? What do you think? The car appears to be in very good condition and roadworthy, and I'm not in a hurry. Two days of easy 50-60 mph speeds, with enough hand tools to make it to the next town if necessary. What should I carry in way of spares or be watchful for? Reliable Transport will normally charge $1/mile, or I can go with wife's Tahoe and my Featherlite trailer and pick it up myself (2 days there and two back). Would like to hear some opinions and advice from those who've done it.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

1200 mile trip on a vehicle I don't know the in's and out's on? No thanks.

If you have a Tahoe and trailer, without hesitation, that is what I would do...
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Ship is cheap and fast. Won't cost more than flying in, meals, motel and driving home. Why take the chance? I posted on uship.com at 9am and the car was picked up at 2:30pm the same day and here 4 days later 1,500 miles.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I would also want to drive it back. Driving an old car a long way is an adventure. However. IMHO the smart thing to do is trailer or ship it. No matter how good it looks right now it is an unknown. It would be a shame to have an issue with it and damage something. If you decide to drive it take it to a shop and have it gone over. Fluids, suspension etc.
Just my 2 cents.

Tom
Old 06-18-2014, 09:27 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

drive
Bill
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM
GC2X4
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Drive it??

[QUOTE=Ferrolanoman;1587160907]I'm close to making a deal on a 63 SWC. 59K miles, powerglide, 250HP car. It's 1,200 miles away but I'd like to fly in and drive it home. Am I nuts? What do you think?

In 2003 I bought a '67 Convertible 327/300 four speed in West Palm Beach, Fl. drove it 1100 miles to Cincinnati, Oh.
In eleven years I haven't driven the car as may miles as I drove the first two days I owned it..........makes a lot of sense doesn't it???
...gc2x4
Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
1200 mile trip on a vehicle I don't know the in's and out's on? No thanks.

If you have a Tahoe and trailer, without hesitation, that is what I would do...
DO NOT take a chance of driving your Corvette back for such a long distance. You could have a major break down in the middle of nowhere. Make sure that your Tahoe and trailer are road worthy.
If you haven't done a thing like this before, have a driving partner who has done it.
Otherwise, to be safe, have a trucking company to do it for you.
I could tell you my adventures of trailering my Corvettes solo 1500 miles + one way, but that's another story.
Good Luck.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 AM
docent
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Ship. I had the same decision to make, 2 months ago. Not knowing the car, I felt more comfortable shipping. Now we're talking a whole new story.
Best deal, and commited time of pickup, call Angels Transport. They are supporter here on the Corvette Forum. Out of 6 shippers I contacted, they were the only ones that commited a time for pickup (everyone else left me hanging), and her price was $600 cheaper than Reliable.
Think about it - -if you break down, and have to spend a extra night someplace, is your car safe? Buying a used car, there is ALWAYS something that the seller forgot to tell you about your new car. Believe me !!!!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:05 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,651 Likes on 3,041 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I love taking my old Corvettes on long trips and I've done it many times. So, driving a new acquisition home would be my first choice. However, I'm not much of a gambler, so this is what I'd do:

Pick up the car and drive it around locally for a day or so. Build confidence. If, after a few hundred miles of driving, nothing major has fallen off, head for home.

If, on the other hand, it just doesn't feel "right", go back and get your trailer. Sort out what's wrong after you get the car home.

This would be more time consuming than just going to get the car with your trailer or having it shipped, of course. But if you could drive it home, you'd have an ear-to-ear grin and lots of good memories by the time you arrived.

Jim
Old 06-18-2014, 11:31 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,798 Posts

Ive taken that chance in the past and gotten away with it. That said, no way Id drive the car that far until you become familiar with it. Im guessing it wasnt cheap? I cant imagine worrying about a grand to ship a car is a big deal after buying a SWC. If you can haul it yourself, do that.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 AM
suntreemcanic
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Ive taken that chance in the past and gotten away with it. That said, no way Id drive the car that far until you become familiar with it. Im guessing it wasnt cheap? I cant imagine worrying about a grand to ship a car is a big deal after buying a SWC. If you can haul it yourself, do that.
Here is another idea, you and a co-driver take your Tahoe and trailer down to buy the car, you drive it and your co-driver follows you home if it breaks down load it up. Other wise you have a safe adventure all the way home and then you will know if the car is road worthy.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 AM
327carguy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Much of the advice above is sound. I would ask if you have actually seen the car. If you have been doing all the negotiations long distance and have not actually seen the Vette I would drive the truck and trailer.

I bought my SWC only three hours away from home. But I borrowed a flatbed from a family member and hauled it home. After I got it home and started driving it I had a carburetor problem almost immediately and the bias ply tires were a trip of their own. I would have had to drive it on the Northway and the NYS thruway. In my case picking it up was the best answer.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by suntreemcanic
Here is another idea, you and a co-driver take your Tahoe and trailer down to buy the car, you drive it and your co-driver follows you home if it breaks down load it up. Other wise you have a safe adventure all the way home and then you will know if the car is road worthy.

Ive done this a few times and unfortunately the new purchase ALWAYS spews, stalls and or ....... at the worst time. The shippers worry me but nothing ever happens. Im a control nut and the trailer/drive combo is a great backup plan.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 707 Likes on 262 Posts

If you have some mechanical ability or have a friend that does that will go with you, I'm with Jim, find a nice backroad and drive it home. It will be an opportunity to have an adventure with a great car that can give you some great memories.

Or you can talk about how much fun it was to drive it a few miles to a local show......

Next choice would be to go along with suntreemcanic's idea and have someone go with you in the Tahoe and trailer just in case there are problems along the way.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

When my father purchased a 68 Camaro that was in MD (We are in CT) I drove my truck and enclosed trailer to go get it. 780 miles in one day, I drove down and back as he rode along (he's had to pay for the Camaro after all it's his car). The drive wasn't that bad, I just don't trust anyone to ship especially since it was a reasonable distance away. Plus dad wanted the car as soon as we could go get it.

I myself wouldn't trust an old car for that distance you just never know what might happen and as another post stated you would hate to get stuck somewhere questionable and have to leave the car to go get help, as it might not be there when you return.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:41 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

If you have AAA towing you may be okay taking the chance driving it. Just change the fluids; make sure the coolant circulates fine (does not need a flush, have a bad thermostat, or a marginal water pump); take some basic tools; have the car checked (like a PPI) before you buy and start the drive home.

Part of owning an old car is to enjoy the adventure. You may as well start right away.

Almost forgot, don't forget your cell phone and charger.

Last edited by 65 fi; 06-18-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,057 Likes on 684 Posts

Ferrolanoman - Congrats on finding the SWC you've been in search of for some time. Looking forward to seeing the pics once you get it home. As to how I would deal with the 1200 miles between you and the car in question, I'd have it shipped. There have been quite a few threads over the last half year that about someone with a new (to them) Vette and as soon as they get it home, it's stalling, it's coughing back through the carb, it's getting hotter than expected, etc, etc.
Those kinds of things happen and when they happen back in your own garage or down a few blocks from home, not that big a deal. Let it happen a thousand miles from home and now you're getting that 'tightness' in your chest. My two cents, and that's twice what it's worth, is to have it shipped. Keep us posted and good luck.
Mike T.

Get notified of new replies

To drive, trailer or ship?

Old 06-18-2014, 02:12 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

DO ABSOLUTELY drive it home. I drove my '64 unrestored car home 570 miles in one day last July, in the rain most of the way no less. I'll never forget the thrill. Buy some cheap basic tools and fluids before you leave, a multitester, fix-a-flat etc and go. Insure it with roadside assistance (I have Hagerty on my '64 and Allstate on my others).

Whatever you do, drive it home. It's not like the space shuttle breaking down, it's basic 50 year old technology. If it drives well as Garrett says around town, chances are it will go home safe and sound.

In my case I had it "easy" because my FIL drove my car that we went out in back for me with all the tools and fluids. If you fly in, just buy some basics. Cost virtually nothing. Go for it. I'm pulling for you to make this choice!

P.S. my dad, who just passed away, used to say of road trips in the 21st century: if you have a gun, some cash, and a cell phone, you're pretty much OK on the road. It makes me smile a little to think how true it is.

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 06-18-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,013 Posts

If you go the shipping route than I agree with Mr Texas, use uship.com
Old 06-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
DO ABSOLUTELY drive it home. I drove my '64 unrestored car home 570 miles in one day last July, in the rain most of the way no less. I'll never forget the thrill. Buy some cheap basic tools and fluids before you leave, a multitester, fix-a-flat etc and go. Insure it with roadside assistance (I have Hagerty on my '64 and Allstate on my others).

Whatever you do, drive it home. It's not like the space shuttle breaking down, it's basic 50 year old technology. If it drives well as Garrett says around town, chances are it will go home safe and sound.

In my case I had it "easy" because my FIL drove my car that we went out in back for me with all the tools and fluids. If you fly in, just buy some basics. Cost virtually nothing. Go for it. I'm pulling for you to make this choice!

P.S. my dad, who just passed away, used to say of road trips in the 21st century: if you have a gun, some cash, and a cell phone, you're pretty much OK on the road. It makes me smile a little to think how true it is.
Glad you had a good trip. Long drives can be great great fun. But it is not guaranteed. I had a friend that bought a 60 in Ohio and drove it home to Maryland. Well he tried to drive it home. A fun outing with his grandson. He lost his lights and spent the night in a sleazy hotel because there was nothing else around. Waited for morning to drive home in the daylight. That was a good plan until it overheated and and he spent another night in a hotel. He had it rollbacked the rest of the way home. It was an adventure alright but not the one he planed on.
Just sayin'
Tom

Quick Reply: drive, trailer or ship?