C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New member with 1954 Corvette-Un-restored, seeking information.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:06 PM
D-54Vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with 1954 Corvette-Un-restored, seeking information.

Hello all,
We own a 1954 Corvette. It's been in our family in covered storage for nearly 40 years. It's in un-restored condition.

We've decided that it's time to get it in the hands of people that will restore it to it's fullest potential.

We are seeking guidance on:

-Estimating it's value

-Finding prospective buyers

-Any other useful advice, leads, or thoughts pertaining to this topic.

Thank you all.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by D-54Vette
We are seeking guidance on:

-Estimating it's value

-Finding prospective buyers
You can search eBay and auction sites to review 54 selling amounts, but it all depends on so many variables it is just impossible to guess. To start with you might provide a little info on your car, like how much of it is left, how much rust involves the frame, how many parts are still intact, what history and documentation you have for this car, and most of all, PHOTOS of your car. Then members here can offer more comments
Old 06-15-2014, 10:29 PM
D-54Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Velox
You can search eBay and auction sites to review 54 selling amounts, but it all depends on so many variables it is just impossible to guess. To start with you might provide a little info on your car, like how much of it is left, how much rust involves the frame, how many parts are still intact, what history and documentation you have for this car, and most of all, PHOTOS of your car. Then members here can offer more comments
Thank you for the quick feedback. I'm working on putting a list together of all the parts that will be sold with the car. I know that the original engine is included, but it will not be in the car (my Dad had put in a larger inline six in the 70's when he was still driving the car).

I just finished posting some pictures to my profile folder.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Well the car is in very rough shape. Is the VIN tag still on it? Do you have any under hood and frame photos? The car would obviously need a complete body off restoration and that cost would likely be 100k or more. If the frame is shot, wow. If the original engine can be salvaged and if the frame can be too then there would be a good starting point, but restoration would seem to require more than it would be worth as a restored 54. Someone here more familiar with 54s will chime in. Price would vary with intact VIN, good title, useable engine and frame.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Pretty complete car, IF the hubcaps, side curtains and top frame are present? Looks like a fairly early car. Flipper moldings but not two hood pulls, from what I can see. Except for the left front corner, the body looks to be in nice, original shape. They're all ugly in this condition but it looks like you have a good solid foundation as long as the frame is still good in the rear kick-ups and rear cross member.

$20k-ish if complete.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 06-15-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 PM
D-54Vette
Intermediate

Well the car is in very rough shape. Is the VIN tag still on it? Do you have any under hood and frame photos? The car would obviously need a complete body off restoration and that cost would likely be 100k or more. If the frame is shot, wow. If the original engine can be salvaged and if the frame can be too then there would be a good starting point, but restoration would seem to require more than it would be worth as a restored 54. Someone here more familiar with 54s will chime in. Price would vary with intact VIN, good title, useable engine and frame.
I don't have any under frame photos yet, but I'll be taking some soon. I have under hood photos but I did not want to create confusion, since the engine that is currently in the car is not the original. But we do have the original to include with the package (VIN plate is still attached and clear to read). We would be pulling the current engine before we sell it.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 PM
D-54Vette
Intermediate

You mentioned checking auction sites. Are there any you would recommend checking by name?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:23 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

That's an interesting hard top; might be worth a few bucks extra all by itself since it's an after market item. Do you have the convertible top mechanism?

What happened to that paint? Did it sit outside thru several freeze thaw cycles, or did someone start to strip it and give up?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or email me. I've restored around twenty of these cars.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:40 PM
D-54Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
That's an interesting hard top; might be worth a few bucks extra all by itself since it's an after market item. Do you have the convertible top mechanism?

What happened to that paint? Did it sit outside thru several freeze thaw cycles, or did someone start to strip it and give up?
Started stripping paint and never finished. The car was stored indoors.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:15 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or email me. I've restored around twenty of these cars.
Care to make a ball park estimate on the cost to restore a car like this? I don't have a dog in the fight, but absolutely love these "what is it worth" and "how much would it cost to" threads!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The body damage is repairable.
Missing the radio? Conv top Frame? side curtains? jack? Hubcaps?
If those are missing - there is about 9,000.00 in parts missing that would need to be bought.
If all those are present with the correct engine, trans, carbs, intake, exhaust manifold
If not 15k

I would love to restore it!!!
:-)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

To me, that is the way that I would like to buy a car that I would wish to restore.

In my opinion it is in good shape. The most important thing is to list all of the parts that are missing. Don't remove the engine, It will not help the sale.

Don't attempt to make it look good. Don't even wash it! Any work done on it would tend to be an indication that you are trying to hide something from a potential buyer. You could put $20,000 of repairs into it and it would only lower the value of it.

Some one with limited funds could put $20,000 into it and have a driver that would make him happier than a pig in $h!^.

This car has the potential to be what ever someone wants it to be, whether he wants a driver or a show car, let him decide.

Last edited by Roger Walling; 06-16-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I think you just got some solid advice from Csherman and Roger Walling. Good luck with the sale.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:38 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Revfan
Care to make a ball park estimate on the cost to restore a car like this? I don't have a dog in the fight, but absolutely love these "what is it worth" and "how much would it cost to" threads!
In my opinion - to "my" standards - NCRS - Bloomington gold, Triple Diamond car......80k - That is rebuilding everything .....plating all hardware - paint, powder coating, gen rebuild, starter rebuild, trans rebuild, engine rebuild, carb rebuild, water pump rebuild, body work, carpet, conv top install, chrome plating, complete interior.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All else aside, if this is found to be an original red car does that make any difference in value due to rarity or does that just apply to the black 54s?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Chris is pretty close. $80-90k depending on unknowns. Colors don't matter much.

All 20 of the original 5 black cars have been found.

Get notified of new replies

To New member with 1954 Corvette-Un-restored, seeking information.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Post your photos here in the thread.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:24 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Marks69BB
All else aside, if this is found to be an original red car does that make any difference in value due to rarity or does that just apply to the black 54s?
If it was a REAL black car with documentation - maybe - but like Brett stated, many have been faked - I know of two off the top of my head - Pennant Blue they only made 300. - so color doesnt matter a whole lot....
Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM
D-54Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csherman
If it was a REAL black car with documentation - maybe - but like Brett stated, many have been faked - I know of two off the top of my head - Pennant Blue they only made 300. - so color doesnt matter a whole lot....
This is so very useful and appreciated! Thanks to everyone so far. My family and I are currently deliberating on whether or not we should bring the car to Bloomington Gold in Champaign IL on June 27-29. Initially to market for sale at the Goldmine section.

Have any of you been to this before, and agree or disagree that it would be worth the time, effort, and expense to bring it there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member with 1954 Corvette-Un-restored, seeking information.