Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential Swap while the cradle is down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Differential Swap while the cradle is down?

Hey guys,

I'm about to do my clutch, and I was wondering about the diff. I'm wanting to list my Corvette in the next three weeks or so, and am Trying to make the old 115,000+mile girl as appealing as possible. I see there are some 3-rib diffs on ebay for around 900 bucks. Mine hums a little bit at highway speed in 6th, just when you are on incredibly light throttle. Can't hear it over the radio or exhaust when it's under load.

Is the diff easy to replace when the rear suspension is dropped? Think it's worth doing?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:57 AM
beboggled
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I just replaced my clutch myself. Yes the diff would be really easy to replace while the suspension cradle is down (and axles are out). Not sure if its worth it. If it were my car with 115k on it and the diff functions well otherwise, I wouldn't spend $900 to replace it if I'm going to just sell it afterwards. I would definitely try changing the fluid.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:40 AM
ChairmanMeow
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beboggled
I wouldn't spend $900 to replace it if I'm going to just sell it afterwards. I would definitely try changing the fluid.
X2
After a fluid change I think you would find a better investment would be to take a couple hundred (depending what the price in your mind already was) off the asking price. At that mileage, my guess is that your target audience will either be people trying to pick up a C5 on a budget or people with racing (auto x/drag etc) on the mind.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:28 AM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Endeka
Hey guys,

I'm about to do my clutch, and I was wondering about the diff. I'm wanting to list my Corvette in the next three weeks or so, and am Trying to make the old 115,000+mile girl as appealing as possible. I see there are some 3-rib diffs on ebay for around 900 bucks. Mine hums a little bit at highway speed in 6th, just when you are on incredibly light throttle. Can't hear it over the radio or exhaust when it's under load.

Is the diff easy to replace when the rear suspension is dropped? Think it's worth doing?
If you do that you might as well keep it and enjoy
Old 05-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

The member I sold my 4.10's to recently is selling his 3.42's, which are in great shape with only 49k miles on them. Brad is a terrific guy and is great to deal with.

Here's his ad - PM him and see if you can make a deal.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...49k-miles.html
Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Endeka,
I wouldn't hesitate making a deal on that diff, (Patches) mentioned.
(Snooze....you lose.)

A buyer would have hesitations of putting out $$dollars$$ on a used car with a rear end that whined.

While cradle is down, is the perfect time (also dollar wise) to get rid of that old whiner.

That differential along with a new clutch change out, would also be a terrific selling point for potential buyers.

Last edited by bumble-z; 05-16-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think I'm going to do it. I appreciate the sentiments about keeping the car; I do love it, but life's been good to me, I'm now shopping for a C6 ZR1 or Z07 Z06. This one will always be my first love, but I think it's time for an upgrade, and I figured, since I have the thing apart to begin with, if pulling the axels just off the diff alone isn't too hard, I'll do that too while it's out.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Differential Swap while the cradle is down?

Quick Reply: Differential Swap while the cradle is down?