C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 tickets in one week...should I fight them?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:02 PM
C5-1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2 tickets in one week...should I fight them?

Tuesday morning I get a ticket for tinted windows and a warning for no front license plate. My front windows are not tinted too dark (you could still see who is inside) but bc no tint in driver and passenger side is allowed here in CA $187 fine or $25 if I remove it.

Now it's Thursday afternoon and I get a speeding ticket...70mph on a 65mph. The CHP actually pulled me over and another lady together. He said that the lady was doing 70+ when I passed her and because he wasn't able to get me on Lidar he was going to give me a break and just write me for 5mph over the limit.

If I go to court to fight the speeding ticket, will I be successful in arguing that the ticket should be dismissed bc the CHP wasn't able to actually get me on Lidar?

Any other ideas on how to fight the speeding ticket?

I have heard people say that a doctors note for an eye condition could get you off a tinted window ticket. Any thoughts in this?
Old 05-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,784 Likes on 1,949 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Don't know about the tinted window thing but the 5 over speeding ticket is BS. Go into the county attorney of which they may have many and see if he will dismiss the ticket before you go to court. I do that and it always seem to work on larger tickets to get them reduced. Now 5 over in a school zone will buy you a ticket but just out on the highway is not right. End of month quota's due....? How fast were you going anyway?

Last edited by Huskerman; 05-03-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:22 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

He is right in CA that no tint is legal on the driver/passenger windows. That being said, mine are tinted and I will deal with it if I get a ticket...in 20+ years of tinted windows I have never been pulled over for that.

The 5MPH over ticket is something that can easily be dismissed by a judge if you take it that far. There are many "excuses" you can use for that and for the most part no judge will want to waste time on the court docket with that BS. One of the things you can do when fighting that ticket is the fact that the LEO must qualify with their radar guns and the gun itself has to have certification inspections every year to make sure they are working properly. If you request to see these certifications in court, the officer has to provide them and they must all be current. If they then admit to not using the radar gun on you, if that is stated on the ticket, the judge will likely toss it out.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

you'll get out of the speeding ticket but I don't see why a doctor is going to write you a fake note for an eye condition that you don't have...just get rid of the tint
Old 05-03-2014, 03:38 PM
DezVette
Pro

Some people have said they have a Dr note for tinted windows. But, your note and DMV exemption must be dated prior to the ticket. Being you got a ticket you are going to have to deal with that. If you have an exemption on your registration to have the tint from a Dr note, you would simply show the LEO when they are citing you. I don't think that getting it now will appease the courts and the date technicality will be against you.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:54 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Every DA and Judge and Public Defender for that matter, assumes the five over is a break the cop is giving the violator and that in reality the violator was going faster than what it reads on the citation. Every cop hates tinted windows. Try making a traffic stop at night and approaching a tinted window car. When they can't see inside they get nervous. Cops don't like being nervous on car stops. A written five over ticket is traffic school eligible IF you haven't had TS in the last 18 months. It will cost for the fine, admin fees and whatever the TS charges but it won't go on your DMV record and thus your Ins Co won't know about it. The tint problem is easily solved, remove it and the fine goes waaaay down.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

As others have mentioned the speeding ticket is BS and that should be no problem to get dismissed, the tint issue I would say you are going to have to pay the fine on that one.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 189 Posts

I looked it up a few years ago and CA has very restrictive guidelines for the allowable tint. Getting a doctors note only permits you to have a very specific approved tint, not any tint that you want. The approved tint is so pale that, in my opinion, it is hardly worth the trouble. I tinted the rear and side windows on my 99 Camaro SS but have since decided that it wasn't worth doing again considering the legal issues.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:24 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Were you speeding?
Old 05-03-2014, 04:27 PM
C5-1
Racer

Originally Posted by Huskerman
Don't know about the tinted window thing but the 5 over speeding ticket is BS. Go into the county attorney of which they may have many and see if he will dismiss the ticket before you go to court. I do that and it always seem to work on larger tickets to get them reduced. Now 5 over in a school zone will buy you a ticket but just out on the highway is not right. End of month quota's due....? How fast were you going anyway?
Do you know the cost if going the route of a county lawyer?
Old 05-03-2014, 04:33 PM
C5-1
Racer

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
you'll get out of the speeding ticket but I don't see why a doctor is going to write you a fake note for an eye condition that you don't have...just get rid of the tint
I'm thinking for the next one. I will remove this tint and re tint and yes I do have an eye condition. My wife's car is tinted all the way around including front windshield for 7 yrs now...never been pulled over. Even though it is the law, most Leo that give tint tickets are ahls trying to fill there quota anyways.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:36 PM
C5-1
Racer

Originally Posted by DezVette
Some people have said they have a Dr note for tinted windows. But, your note and DMV exemption must be dated prior to the ticket. Being you got a ticket you are going to have to deal with that. If you have an exemption on your registration to have the tint from a Dr note, you would simply show the LEO when they are citing you. I don't think that getting it now will appease the courts and the date technicality will be against you.
Any ideas on how to get this note? Is it through dmv, the doc or both?
Old 05-03-2014, 04:43 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Who cares about the tint ticket.. . Pay it and keep it moving.

Fight the speeding ticket - because, that's what you should do if::

a. You're actually not guilty
b. If you want to challenge the court system & the officer to a battle of attrition..

btw, I always choose (b)

gl and start using google
Old 05-03-2014, 04:44 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
Were you speeding?
^ lololololol

(This feels like a trap)

Old 05-03-2014, 04:54 PM
DezVette
Pro

Originally Posted by C5-1
Any ideas on how to get this note? Is it through dmv, the doc or both?
I do not have a note, but from what I can tell is you have to go to a Dr and have them give you a note indicating an eye condition requiring the tint. Then take that to the DMV and get the exemption on the vehicle registration or your CDL for any vehicle you drive. There is a thread on here for picture request of all black vettes with tinted windows. Someone in there talks about having such a note exempting his front windshield tint from ticketing. Like was previously stated in this thread, I do not believe it is for resonably tinted windows being worth it. It may just be for eye sensitivity that will only cover enough tint to lower the harsh UVs.

But, like I said I do not have a tint note and am only speaking out of my internetass on the subject.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:54 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

If laws were broke...pay and move on.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:09 PM
C5-1
Racer

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
Who cares about the tint ticket.. . Pay it and keep it moving.

Fight the speeding ticket - because, that's what you should do if::

a. You're actually not guilty
b. If you want to challenge the court system & the officer to a battle of attrition..

btw, I always choose (b)

gl and start using google
Thanks, yeah Google always works, but because were in the corvette forum I figured I ask the speeding experts

Get notified of new replies

To 2 tickets in one week...should I fight them?

Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 PM
C5-1
Racer

Originally Posted by DezVette
I do not have a note, but from what I can tell is you have to go to a Dr and have them give you a note indicating an eye condition requiring the tint. Then take that to the DMV and get the exemption on the vehicle registration or your CDL for any vehicle you drive. There is a thread on here for picture request of all black vettes with tinted windows. Someone in there talks about having such a note exempting his front windshield tint from ticketing. Like was previously stated in this thread, I do not believe it is for resonably tinted windows being worth it. It may just be for eye sensitivity that will only cover enough tint to lower the harsh UVs.

But, like I said I do not have a tint note and am only speaking out of my internetass on the subject.
Thanks for your help
Old 05-03-2014, 05:12 PM
C5-1
Racer

Thank you all for your input. Any other suggestions on how to successfully defeat this bs 5mph ticket?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:18 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I got out of a tint ticket one time by providing the receipt for tinting (done in SC) and a copy of my state safety inspection that had passed and told the judge that it should be legal in the state if it passed the state safety inspection.

Of course the date on the receipt was before the date in the state inspection.

Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 tickets in one week...should I fight them?