C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid change or not? (HIGH MILEAGE 191K)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:13 AM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fluid change or not? (HIGH MILEAGE 191K)

Ok guys, as you can tell, I like to drive my c5. Just hit 191k!
That is the very reason I bought it!
I have put a lot of work into it, and it is in absolute top running condition.
I have used Lucas Synthetic Oil Treatment & Mobile 1, every 5k miles.

Anyway, My Vette mechanic, said I should have the transmission fluid changed @ a cost of $250.
Well I thought that was a little steep, so I checked around on the price. (I have never paid this much for a frickin TF change!)
Anyway, I drove over to the Chevrolet dealer, where the price is $150,
BUT, they told me they did not recommend me having the TF
changed, considering the high mileage.
So, I went back to my mech., and told him what Chevrolet said, and he of course said they were full of S***!

The question of the day is>>>> WTH DO I BELIEVE????????
SHOULD I HAVE THE FLUID CHANGED OR NOT?
I my self, think I should have it changed, since the last time it was changed was around 140k.(at least that's what the past owner led me to believe?)
I know there are plenty Pro-Owners and great mechanics on here, so PLEASE chime in
with your answers>>>> Your help here will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for reading!
Chris

Last edited by scottsphoto2; 04-27-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: forgot something!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsphoto2
Ok guys, as you can tell, I like to drive my c5. Just hit 191k!
That is the very reason I bought it!
I have put a lot of work into it, and it is in absolute top running condition.
I have used Lucas Synthetic Oil Treatment & Mobile 1, every 3k miles.

Anyway, My Vette mechanic, said I should have the transmission fluid changed @ a cost of $250.
Well I thought that was a little steep, so I checked around on the price. (I have never paid this much for a frickin TF change!)
Anyway, I drove over to the Chevrolet dealer, where the price is $150,
BUT, they told me they did not recommend me having the TF
changed, considering the high mileage.
So, I went back to my mech., and told him what Chevrolet said, and he of course said they were full of S***!

The question of the day is>>>> WTH DO I BELIEVE????????
SHOULD I HAVE THE FLUID CHANGED OR NOT?
I my self, think I should have it changed, since the last time it was changed was around 140k.
I know there are plenty Pro-Owners and great mechanics on here, so PLEASE chime in
with your answers>>>> Your help here will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for reading!
Chris
OK your anwser from my experince is no if you never had it changed from when the car was new, but if it's been changed seen new then i would say ok. This is what happened to me. I bought a car from an old lady and she was the only owner and the car had over 100k on it. She only had regular maint. Oil belts and what ever but she never had TF changed. The car ran great shifted great no problems. Had the car for 6 mouths and decided to change TF and it was black. It might have been conicedence but after i changed TF about a mouth later trans started slipping and went out. I asked around some old time mechanic and they told me that was your problem right there shouldn't have changed TF fuild if it was never changed from new. Who would of knew. So i bought a used truck a few years back and just the other day checked TF and it's black with 200k on the truck i decided to ask around about changing it and the consences is not to change. So i decided to leave it alone. It's shifting fine and doesn't have any unusual noises . If it's an auto no, but if it's manual yes. That's my thoughts.
This is just my opinion and my experince.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:45 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 327 Posts

If you want to change it, change it. You are doing regular maintenance.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:06 AM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Originally Posted by helga203
OK your anwser from my experince is no if you never had it changed from when the car was new, but if it's been changed seen new then i would say ok. This is what happened to me. I bought a car from an old lady and she was the only owner and the car had over 100k on it. She only had regular maint. Oil belts and what ever but she never had TF changed. The car ran great shifted great no problems. Had the car for 6 mouths and decided to change TF and it was black. It might have been conicedence but after i changed TF about a mouth later trans started slipping and went out. I asked around some old time mechanic and they told me that was your problem right there shouldn't have changed TF fuild if it was never changed from new. Who would of knew. So i bought a used truck a few years back and just the other day checked TF and it's black with 200k on the truck i decided to ask around about changing it and the consences is not to change. So i decided to leave it alone. It's shifting fine and doesn't have any unusual noises . If it's an auto no, but if it's manual yes. That's my thoughts.
This is just my opinion and my experince.
Thanks guys! When I got it, it had like 140k on it, and the previous owner said it had been serviced up to date, but the more I think about it, a lot of people seem to forget about the TF? So anyway,if I can trust her, then I guess its ok, but I wish there was a way for me to look at the color of the fluid w/o having to take it to the shop to be sure.
( there must be a reason to be concerned considering the difference in opinions between the vette man and Chevrolet?)
Anyway, thanks a bunch for the info.

Last edited by scottsphoto2; 04-27-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Changing the fluid is a normal maintenance procedure and one that I would do with a car with that many miles regardless of prior maintenance, because you then have personal knowledge of when it was serviced and the quality of the fluid and filter used. If a trans is good, new fluid will refresh the trans. If the trans is going out - if will fail shortly whether or not the fluid is changed.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 PM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

thanks tbrowne.
that makes sense to me.
is the price of 250, too much to pay to have it changed, or is that normal price?
thanks again for your input!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

It depends on who's doing it and what materials are being used. If done by a dealer using genuine GM parts, then it might be about normal. A good transmission shop using quality fluids and filter should be a little less. Call around and check prices before you decide, just don't trust it to an oil change place with a bunch of kids that don't have any experience with a Corvette transmission.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 PM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Gotcha, that makes sense.
Let me ask you this.
Since it has so many miles on it, I plan to put a really good additive in during the change.
I use Lucas products in the oil and the fuel.
I have my reasons for trusting Lucas, which includes the fact that the Lucas Oil Treatment, saved my 97 ford f150. It was burning oil after 100k, and after 2 oil changes w/Lucas, it doesn't burn or leak a drop now, @ 256k miles! Also, never had an injector problem at all, and never had any work done inside the engine!
Anyway, Do you know anything about Lucas tranny conditioner? Or what would you recommend?
Also, would you recommend to just change the filter and the fluid that's in the pan,(do a partial-change?)if the fluid looks good ,doesn't look blk/old, or should I have it all sucked out / flushed out and replaced no matter how it looks?
Thanks for your help and your time!
Chris

Last edited by scottsphoto2; 04-29-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway, Do you know anything about Lucas tranny conditioner? Or what would you recommend?
Also, would you recommend to just change the filter and the fluid that's in the pan,(do a partial-change?)if the fluid looks good ,doesn't look blk/old, or should I have it all sucked out / flushed out and replaced no matter how it looks?
Chris[/QUOTE]

Chris this is an old debate that is only valid w/old cars and old trany's.
I did a lot of research and here is what I found. With newer cars and trany's the fluid should be chg'ed every 100k or sooner. Regular maintenance. However w/191k miles it is recommended to just drop and replace the fluid. By drop and replace you drain the trany and replace the amount of TF that comes out. That's it. DO NOT let some local garage do a trany flush, that may do more harm then goog. Also I would replace the filter. As far as Lucas goes, well if you believe it works then it works for you. I would use a fully synthetic TF. That's it your done. Oh and $256. is high. Find another shop like AMMCO or a good trany shop and tell them you want a drop and replace. Figure around $170 to $190 it is a corvette, we paid a higher tax for that. haha G/L
Jim

Last edited by Jims79; 04-30-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: price of chg
Old 04-30-2014, 10:04 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I would certainly change the fluid. Do not use any conditioners as ATF is already a pretty good solvent in itself. If it's a manual, I would advise using Amsoil torque drive synthetic ATF.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:30 AM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jims79
Chris
Chris this is an old debate that is only valid w/old cars and old trany's.
I did a lot of research and here is what I found. With newer cars and trany's the fluid should be chg'ed every 100k or sooner. Regular maintenance. However w/191k miles it is recommended to just drop and replace the fluid. By drop and replace you drain the trany and replace the amount of TF that comes out. That's it. DO NOT let some local garage do a trany flush, that may do more harm then goog. Also I would replace the filter. As far as Lucas goes, well if you believe it works then it works for you. I would use a fully synthetic TF. That's it your done. Oh and $256. is high. Find another shop like AMMCO or a good trany shop and tell them you want a drop and replace. Figure around $170 to $190 it is a corvette, we paid a higher tax for that. haha G/L
Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim,
Now that's what I am talkin about!
Never thought I would have to go thru so many questions, to figure out if I should change the TF?
Or should I say, so many answers? duh? lol!
But, hey! You just answered all my questions!
It's about to be done!
Thanks again, to everyone for your help!
You guys are da best!
Chris

Last edited by scottsphoto2; 05-01-2014 at 03:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Fluid change or not? (HIGH MILEAGE 191K)

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid change or not? (HIGH MILEAGE 191K)