C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

NY Auto Show Mega Thread....125pix & Harlan Interview & Press Kit download

Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default NY Auto Show Mega Thread....125pix & Harlan Interview & Press Kit download

Please do not quote this entire thread!

Just finished editing everything from the show today.

Included in this thread is, as you see in the title, 125 large images, a link to download a zip file of the jump drive I was given, and my 12 minute talk with Harlan Charles.

Let's start with the images.

It's a huge mess of images and I decided to put them all up. Some of the shots are for beauty and some are for details. If some of the images look weird or grainy it's because I edited them to look like that so we can see more of the details, such as the front grill for my VA friend. The pictures are large but I have them in much larger sizes as well. If anyone wants any specific images in full size or raw format send me a PM and I'll be happy to provide it. I also included a couple other cars. I took a ton of photos of the various rims to try and give a feel for what they looked like. The images where you can very clearly see the brakes behind them are slightly touched up. The ones where it's dark behind them are as they were shot. All three styles they had there looked incredible. It's going to be hard to make a choice. Also note I took a couple images of the rear view mirror from sitting inside the car so you can get an idea of the rear visibility on the Z07 model.

Here is a link to a zip file of the Corvette press kit. It includes all the press releases and all the images of the Z06. I don't believe there are any images we haven't seen before but it's nice to have all them in full size.
Update My server is having issues hosting this 146meg zip file. If anyone can help with that send me a PM.

Lastly and most importantly was my conversation with Harlan. First off he's about as nice as a person gets. From my time in the auto journalism biz I've learned there are the business guys and then there are the car guys. This guy is a true car guy. Below you'll find a video which includes most of the audio from our conversation. The audio is overlaid with many of the photos you'll also see below.

A few key points from our conversation:

1. CCB will for sure only be available on the Z07 and the only tire option will be the cups. However he has a lot to say about the cups which makes me feel better about the fact I'll be daily driving this thing on cups.

2. The Z07 will have slight differences in magnetic ride control programming. However the hardware, spring rates included, will be the same across the board for the Z06.

3. The AFM on the M7 behaves the same as on the Stingray.

4. I've always been the guy to laugh at people when they say $100k plus despite all we've heard. However, after talking to him I do believe that if we check enough boxes off that the car will in fact be over $100k. My new gut is that the Z07 will be still under $100k but able to be optioned over that figure. So I guess we're looking at around $95k? Where are our Corvette Forum accountants?

5. Harlan reads the forum!

6. Those wide body Corvettes you see running around in camo are in fact just Z06's that haven't been removed of their camo yet. If it was a new model he wouldn't have answered the question the way he did. He definitely wasn't lying...that car in that image is just a Z06 that didn't take its fancy dress of yet.

7. They considered offering an option where one could order the car with the roof permanently bolted into place. But after doing testing the difference was so negligible they didn't bother with the hassle of it.

8. Full information and option list will be out next month.

9. Ordering starts in the fall.

10. This is from the booth worker.... estimates are 3,500lbs. Also, the way she was talking I'm not quite sure it will be faster than a ZR1 in a straight line. My money is on no with the way she was leaning her answers on similar topics to other people.

btw...the photos will appear best if you click on them and then click the arrow to view one at a time.
It was interesting that from the side, you couldn't see the red of the bulb through the smoked taillights.
Also, I thought the black sticker on the hood "stinger stripe" looked rather low budget. I was up on the air on that option but now I'll absolutely pass on it.

Best,
Gene Sanchez Leeds

p.s. sorry if this thread breaks anyone's computer.

Here's the video

Last edited by phantasms; 04-17-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 220 Posts

Awesome pics and interview, Gene. Would you say the color of the vert interior is charcoal or dark blue?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:59 PM
xtaski
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome shots - thanks for sharing. I noticed the grey Z06 has kalahari interior with the trim piece over the front dash. Is that 2LT or are they offering 3LT with the black upper dash instead of all kalahari? I like the single trim piece look, not the full kalahari...
Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Awesome pics and interview, Gene. Would you say the color of the vert interior is charcoal or dark blue?
My guess would be charcoal but I very well could be wrong.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Excellent thread. If you get a chance ask Harlan why they decided to use the same front fascia as the base Stingray and utilize the plastic fender extensions. I don't mind them, but curious why they didn't just make a new front fascia and full width fenders.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You spoiled us almost too much, Gene!

Thank you for all the beautiful pictures of this AWESOME car!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:29 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by xtaski
Awesome shots - thanks for sharing. I noticed the grey Z06 has kalahari interior with the trim piece over the front dash. Is that 2LT or are they offering 3LT with the black upper dash instead of all kalahari? I like the single trim piece look, not the full kalahari...
I'm not certain and there wasn't any model information next to the cars. Can anyone tell by the interior shot I took?

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Excellent thread. If you get a chance ask Harlan why they decided to use the same front fascia as the base Stingray and utilize the plastic fender extensions. I don't mind them, but curious why they didn't just make a new front fascia and full width fenders.
Good question. They never bothered me before and they bothered me less in person. If I go there tomorrow I'll ask him. I'm not sure I'll make it over there though.

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
You spoiled us almost too much, Gene!

Thank you for all the beautiful pictures of this AWESOME car!!!
My pleasure!

Originally Posted by tail_lights
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!!!
Any time!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

What an awesome post. Thanks for taking the time do do this!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:39 PM
4vettezo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pictures, I want a grey one just like that.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Gene...if you go there tomorrow, and since Harlan reads the forum, can you point him to my thread where the A6 overheated halfway through two sessions at Daytona Rolex and ask him how they are going to address cooling for the A8?
I think this is a HUGE issue considering Tadge and his team are seriously hyping the A8.

P.S. thanks for all the pics and info. Did you stop by the Audi display?
S.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

great post! most informative I have seen on this forum in months. looking forward to order/option list announcement next month.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Snorman
Gene...if you go there tomorrow, and since Harlan reads the forum, can you point him to my thread where the A6 overheated halfway through two sessions at Daytona Rolex and ask him how they are going to address cooling for the A8?
I think this is a HUGE issue considering Tadge and his team are seriously hyping the A8.

P.S. thanks for all the pics and info. Did you stop by the Audi display?
S.
In the unlikely event I go back tomorrow I'll definitely ask him. I didn't make it to the Audi display but I did sit in the new M3 sedan. Well I guess you don't have to say sedan anymore. Who needs AWD right?

I also saw the matte black gismo GTR. It looked tough but I wasn't feeling it as much as the regular models.

Best,
Gene
Old 04-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Excellent Thread! THIS POST NEEDS TO BE A STICKY!

Thank you

- Corvette_Nut
Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Sounds good...I plan on being there for early entry on Friday. I have a buddy who is a big wig in the Sansone Auto Network, but I couldn't get up there for the pre-public day.
I'm very "meh" on the Nismo...basically about $30k overpriced and unobtainable with very few available in the US.
S.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Thanks for the massive post Gene!!! Great info and also nice detail shots. EPIC !!!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:47 AM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

gene first of all thanks for the detailed photos and now i'm not sure which colour to go with LMB, yellow or grey .. I think I love them all.

Get notified of new replies

To NY Auto Show Mega Thread....125pix & Harlan Interview & Press Kit download

Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
Excellent Thread! THIS POST NEEDS TO BE A STICKY!

Thank you

- Corvette_Nut
No need to do that, as it already made me feel sticky in the pants.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:04 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Great post now the wait begins.
z51vett
Doug
Old 04-17-2014, 10:14 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks for taking the photos! Here is one with captions.........

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 08-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NY Auto Show Mega Thread....125pix & Harlan Interview & Press Kit download