C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T1 sway bar hits mufflers

Old 04-08-2014, 01:37 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Default T1 sway bar hits mufflers

I just installed T1 sway bars and with the car at rest the rear bar is against the mufflers. Anyone experience this. LG exhaust system with factory Z06 axle back set up.
Thanks

Pics a few posts below

Last edited by rabrooks; 04-09-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:40 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

What end links did you use? You may need to adjust them (or get adjustable ones) to swing the bar downward for clearance.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by SEVINN
What end links did you use? You may need to adjust them (or get adjustable ones) to swing the bar downward for clearance.
Factory endlinks. These bars came off another car with no problems. I didn't ask if it was a C5 or a C6 though
Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

adding pics

Any help?

I wonder if the bushing brackets are on upside down. I haven't measured them but they look symmetrical.

Last edited by rabrooks; 04-09-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVINN
LG adjustable worked for me (same problem)
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

When the C6 came out the rear bar was redesigned to fit both the C6 and the C5. The part number had changed and the item was redesigned. You've probably received an older bar.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
When the C6 came out the rear bar was redesigned to fit both the C6 and the C5. The part number had changed and the item was redesigned. You've probably received an older bar.
Yep, I expect that's what happened.

Anyone have any thoughts for a solution?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by rabrooks
Yep, I expect that's what happened.

Anyone have any thoughts for a solution?
You can check to see if end links would help by unhooking the bar from the links and swinging it to see if any position gives you more clearance.

If that won't help you can try adjusting the mufflers by making sure the hangers are as high as possible and then you can play with the connection at the midpipe to push or pull the muffler to a spot that may have more clearance.

Unfortunately it looks like you'll either need to get the newer bar or smaller mufflers. I only made my suggestion because I had a similar issue with my pfadt bar installation that I corrected by adjusting the end link length but your situation looks like the bar is much tighter against the mufflers than I was experiencing.

Good luck and I hope you can get it resolved!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure your intended use of the car, but if you just put on adjustable end links and set them so the bar swings lower than the mufflers, you may end up with a non-optimal set up. The end links should be adjusted so there's no pre-load on the bar with the car sitting on all 4 wheels. Otherwise it is acting like another spring. The optimal end link length may leave the bar in conflict with the mufflers.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a couple of spare T1 bars and I will check if they are C5 or C6 style and if I have a extra C6 bar I will trade it for your C5 bar. All you have to do is pay shipping. It will be Monday before I will know.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:22 PM
94boosted
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I installed my hotchkiss bars. What I did is removed the bar, heated up the mufflers and banged them a bit with a hammer to gain some additional clearance (a couple small dents in the mufflers is not going to adversely affect it's performance) and then made sure the exhaust hangers were sitting as high as possible. Worked for me.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:59 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmurf28
I have a couple of spare T1 bars and I will check if they are C5 or C6 style and if I have a extra C6 bar I will trade it for your C5 bar. All you have to do is pay shipping. It will be Monday before I will know.
Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on that.

But in the meantime, I have temporarily solved the problem. I was able to loosen the exhaust clamps at the back of the X pipe and at the front of the axle back pipe, shove it all up and retighten. It gains minimal clearance. And it may create a rattle since the exhaust is a lot closer to things than it was before. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the comments
Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I checked my spare bars and they look just like yours. There does not seem to be a part number on any of them and if someone can tell me how to tell the difference I will check them. I did bring one home so it will not take as long to check.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:42 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

I expect the change was so subtle, it would be quite difficult to see the difference without laying them side by side. I did confirm mine came from a C5. If you find out anything, let me know.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Does anyone have the PN for the C5 T1 rear bar?
I recently tucked the exhaust higher up for the custom diffuser I built, and noticed that the bent section of the rear swaybar (C6Z) hangs lower than the subframe. I may have to eventually switch to a c5 version just to get the extra clearance.

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

I don't have the part # but the one in the pictures above is from a C5. You can see its above the subframe by a small amount. I tucked my exhaust up as well and it cleared by 3/8" at the most. Since I'm doing a diffuser too, maybe I should stay with the C5 unit. I was concerned about rattle if I got the exhaust too high up.

GM Parts house or GMPP will probably have the pn.

Last edited by rabrooks; 04-17-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:01 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Not sure your intended use of the car, but if you just put on adjustable end links and set them so the bar swings lower than the mufflers, you may end up with a non-optimal set up. The end links should be adjusted so there's no pre-load on the bar with the car sitting on all 4 wheels. Otherwise it is acting like another spring. The optimal end link length may leave the bar in conflict with the mufflers.
You only need one to be adjustable to take out preload, but whatever you get will need to be longer.

I would call Anthony at LG, he could most likely be able to help you.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 94boosted
I had the same problem when I installed my hotchkiss bars. What I did is removed the bar, heated up the mufflers and banged them a bit with a hammer to gain some additional clearance (a couple small dents in the mufflers is not going to adversely affect it's performance) and then made sure the exhaust hangers were sitting as high as possible. Worked for me.
I had those bars in 2007 and they did not hit the mufflers.

Interesting

Get notified of new replies

To T1 sway bar hits mufflers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T1 sway bar hits mufflers