Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expel - Before or After?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:44 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Expel - Before or After?

My newbie C7 arrives today and I will be setting appointment next week for Expel Ultimate. I have rec'd conflicting opinions as to whether the film should be applied before or after waxing/detail. Obviously, I want a good bond for the film but want consistency in the shine after the film is applied. Opinions and/or experience??
Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 AM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
My newbie C7 arrives today and I will be setting appointment next week for Expel Ultimate. I have rec'd conflicting opinions as to whether the film should be applied before or after waxing/detail. Obviously, I want a good bond for the film but want consistency in the shine after the film is applied. Opinions and/or experience??
I would think your installer would be the one to ask about this. They are the experts.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:53 AM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
My detailer is doing a paint correction, then applying CQuartz then applying XPel Ultimate, then I think he said he was either putting CQuartz over the XPel or maybe he said wax over the XPel, I forgot and I am going to have to ask him when I drop off the car.

-Mark
Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM
396tears
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

The xpel website will answer your question.

Check out the FAQs.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:22 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally do not know JS about xpel, but think about it. once you cover the paint with whatever material they use, how are you going to wax the car properly? maybe you can, but the purpose is to protect the paint--from the elements, and i presume wax/polish. logic would say have the detailing done prior to applying the xpel, then seal in the polished/waxed surface. if anyone says different, id ask them to explain the above. maybe they can.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 PM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 396tears
The xpel website will answer your question.

Check out the FAQs.
Thanks for that...I checked it out and it specifically says to NOT apply CQuarts before XPel. I'm hoping that I misunderstood my installer (most likely) when I thought he said he was going to CQuarts under the XPel. I will verify with him but I'm glad I checked the FAQ.

-Mark
Old 03-21-2014, 12:42 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

If the installer is worth a damn, they'll strip off any wax/polymer before applying the film. And if they're REALLY worth a damn, they'll detail out the car (claybar and then polishing to remove any surface scratches/swirls) beforehand too.

Once whichever film you go with is on, there's obviously no way to get beneath it to correct any flaws, right?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:56 PM
cattman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how it goes:
-wash with dawn to strip any oils, waxes, etc.
-clay
-wash with dawn again
-polish to remove imperfections in the paint finish
-wipe the car down with a 50/50 water/isopropyl mix to remove any polish residue and leave the paint naked
-film of your choice: expel, suntek, whatever. These must be applied to naked paint, no wax, polish, etc. on the paint.
You can end here.

Optional next steps:
-wipe the car down with a 50/50 water/ isopropyl mix again to remove any residues.
-apply permanent coating such as Opt-Coat 2.0
-wax or sealant if you like, but not necessary as Opti-Coat is permanent

That's how it goes.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by cattman
This is how it goes:
-clay
-wash with dawn again
-wipe the car down with a 50/50 water/isopropyl mix to remove any polish residue and leave the paint naked
-film of your choice: expel, suntek, whatever. These must be applied to naked paint, no wax, polish, etc. on the paint.
You can end here.

Optional next steps:
-wipe the car down with a 50/50 water/ isopropyl mix again to remove any residues.

That's how it goes.

Finally, a real answer...thank you and yes, you can "end there", detailers are having a field day with this "xpel then coating" procedure....

See the Phil Hartman " **** retentive chef" skit off SNL....

Oh yeah, "just my opinion".....
Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 PM
cattman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glen e
Finally, a real answer...thank you and yes, you can "end there", detailers are having a field day with this "xpel then coating" procedure....

See the Phil Hartman " **** retentive chef" skit off SNL....

Oh yeah, "just my opinion".....
My pleasure.
On my car I had Suntek applied to the front end, and then I coated the entire car, including the film on the front end, with Opti-Coat 2.0.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:07 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the answers! I rec'd the car following my post this A.M. and just as I feared...ORANGE PEEL all over fenders & doors. The OP is very noticeable on the darker colors (NRB). Now I'm headed for paint correction (wet sanding) before Xpel. Thanx again everyone for the help!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 PM
killascrimp
Racer

The OP is very noticeable on the darker colors (NRB). Now I'm headed for paint correction (wet sanding) before Xpel. Thanx again everyone for the help![/QUOTE]

Man I have NRB and the orange peel is very disappointing its every where, Are you doing the wet sanding your self??? What does something like that cost. I put 22ple on but I think I removed too soon, I brought my car to dealer and showed them the 2 paint runs and the orange peel, they nicely told me to get lost, so next step is wet sanding, thanks......never had a car with paint issues and I am OCD about my finish
Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

I would never attempt the wet sanding myself...I'm looking for a good shop as we write....
Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 PM
396tears
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nh_mark
Thanks for that...I checked it out and it specifically says to NOT apply CQuarts before XPel. I'm hoping that I misunderstood my installer (most likely) when I thought he said he was going to CQuarts under the XPel. I will verify with him but I'm glad I checked the FAQ.

-Mark
Glad 2 help
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by cattman
This is how it goes:
-clay
-wash with dawn again
You can end here.

Optional next steps:

That's how it goes.
so after you do all this, what do you do to clean the car? just soap and water? ever wax or polish after the opti is applied?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 PM
cattman
Instructor

Originally Posted by thedofuss
so after you do all this, what do you do to clean the car? just soap and water? ever wax or polish after the opti is applied?
Depending on how dirty it is, use either:
-The Gary Dean method

-The Two Bucket Method:

While teqnique is 90% of the process, don't neglect the 10% that is the product:
-DO NOT use dish soap. Stick to a quality car shampoo, even Walmart sells Meguiars.
-DO NOT use an old towel. Invest in some good microfiber towels.

That's the 101 level. If you want the 401 level course, head over to Autopia.net or Autogeek.net.

Get notified of new replies

To Expel - Before or After?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Expel - Before or After?