Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mp3, SD ?????

Old 03-20-2014, 08:39 PM
rawhide
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mp3, SD ?????

Help! I'm out of the loop when it comes to new music sources. I would like to know which is better for the c7. I don't have a cell phone or ipod or tablet. Would like something cheap to download music off of my cd's or the internet. I see the car has a place for a memory stick (sd I presume) .Can a sd shuffle songs . What about an m3p player. The ipods have more things than I need. Today I was at Best Buy and got confused. Is it better to have them pluged in or use bluetooth. Senior citizen needs help.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:42 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rawhide
Help! I'm out of the loop when it comes to new music sources. I would like to know which is better for the c7. I don't have a cell phone or ipod or tablet. Would like something cheap to download music off of my cd's or the internet. I see the car has a place for a memory stick (sd I presume) .Can a sd shuffle songs . What about an m3p player. The ipods have more things than I need. Today I was at Best Buy and got confused. Is it better to have them pluged in or use bluetooth. Senior citizen needs help.
Rip your CD's to SD.

If you have 8 tracks, cassette, or 45's you're probably screwed.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina

I just bought a bunch of flash drives from Amazon $19.09 for 32 GB

It is a real PITA to transfer my CDs, I usually do a few at night while I watch TV with my computer next to my bedroom TV.

I got a lot of negative comments when I said I was disappointed about no CD player in the C7

==================================

SanDisk Cruzer 32 GB USB Flash Drive (SDCZ36-032G-AFFP)
by SanDisk
3,770 customer reviews | 161 answered questions
List Price: $48.99
Price: $19.09
You Save: $29.90 (61%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com in easy-to-open packaging. Gift-wrap available.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Rawhide, putting your music on a flash drive is best for you. It will transfer your favorite music as an MP3 file (not an M3P file).

I've fixed the title of your thread for you!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 PM
rawhide
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Rawhide, putting your music on a flash drive is best for you. It will transfer your favorite music as an MP3 file (not an M3P file).

I've fixed the title of your thread for you!
THanks, I need all the help I can get. Can that sd flash drive randomly play the songs.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I think so-I might be wrong though. I have my music on my iPhone with iTunes Match. So I've never tried one of the drives in it. But those cards from Amazon are inexpensive and worth a try for less than $20.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:25 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I would use an SD card if your computer supports them.

As it doesn't extend much past the socket in the C7's center console (as does a USB flash drive), there is much less chance breaking it off.

Electrically, the car doesn't care which...

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-20-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:45 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I would use an SD card if your computer supports them.

As it doesn't extend much past the socket in the C7's center console (as does a USB flash drive), there is much less chance breaking it off.

Electrically, the car doesn't care which...
I think you will have better compatibility with USB if you have other vehicles. MY 2012 Volt and 2014 Silverado had CD players and a USB slot but no SD slot. If you used an SD car for the Vette you would need a USB drive for other car. Use USB and it will be more likely to be compatible with other cars
Old 03-20-2014, 09:48 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
I think you will have better compatibility with USB if you have other vehicles. MY 2012 Volt and 2014 Silverado had CD players and a USB slot but no SD slot. If you used an SD car for the Vette you would need a USB drive for other car. Use USB and it will be more likely to be compatible with other cars
So? Both are so cheap - leave the SD card in the Vette. That's what I do...
Old 03-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Off track a bit here and I'm sure it's been talked about multiple times but what about my Ipod? Can't I just plug it in and go??
Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zee51Vert
Off track a bit here and I'm sure it's been talked about multiple times but what about my Ipod? Can't I just plug it in and go??
From da manual:

Supported Apple® Devices
The following Apple devices are
supported:
. iPod touch® (5th generation)
. iPod touch® (4th generation)
. iPod touch® (3rd generation)
. iPod touch® (2nd generation)
. iPod touch® (1st generation)
. iPod nano® (7th generation)
. iPod nano® (6th generation)
. iPod nano® (5th generation)
. iPod nano® (4th generation)
. iPod nano® (3rd generation)
. iPod nano® (2nd generation)
. iPod nano® (1st generation)
. iPod classic®
. iPod® with video
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

So? Both are so cheap - leave the SD card in the Vette. That's what I do...
My point was that I hate to have to transfer all my CDs to a USB drive, once is bad enough of what I already consider a wast of time, doing it all over again is just a double waste of time. I want to do it once and not repeat it all over on a SD card By the way I own close to 2,000 CDs which is going to take a long tine the time it will take for both is just too much trouble

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 03-20-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

My point was that I hate to have to transfer all my CDs to a USB drive, once is bad enough of what I already consider a wast of time, doing it all over again is just a double waste of time. I want to do it once and not repeat it all over on a SD card
No, you do it once to the hard drive on your computer then copy those MP3s as many times as you want to USB, SD and so on.......

Ain't rocket science here
Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

There are multiple options once you get your CD's onto a flash drive or SIM card. I am using a 32 Gig flash drive in the USB port behind the Nav screen. I have about 45 CD's on the drive at this point, and am using about 10% of the available space. Took about two nights watching TV to "rip" those to the flash drive. You can elect to shuffle, select by artist, album name, song, or genre (i.e, country, folk, rock, etc.) You can select by tapping the screen, or by voice command: e.g,: me: "Play Emmy Lou Harris." a: "You said Emmy Lou Harris, correct?" me: "Yes." [music plays!]

It is a fantastic improvement over CD's! If you have a PC with a USB port, and/or a SIM card slot, you are golden. The car has three USB ports, including the one behind the NAV, and two in the console. The SIM card slot is also in the console.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Guys, thank you for all your information and input for Rawhide. I hope this all helps you.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Supported Apple® Devices
supported:
. iPod touch® (4th generation

Perfecto... Only a couple weeks to go...
Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zee51Vert
Supported Apple® Devices
supported:
. iPod touch® (4th generation

Perfecto... Only a couple weeks to go...
FWIW, I bought an iPod Nano to use in my C6 and it rarely left it (only times were when I was working in the garage and plugged it into the stereo system I have out there. Then back into the C6).

When I found out the C7 supported SD cards, I went and bought a 16 gig one and transferred my music and playlists from iTunes to it. Why tie up a $100+ iPod when a $10 SD card does the same thing? And I also have the added advantage of not having an iPod and its cable rattling around in the center console or compartment behind the screen

Last edited by KenHorse; 03-20-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mp3, SD ?????

Old 03-20-2014, 10:26 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

No, you do it once to the hard drive on your computer then copy those MP3s as many times as you want to USB, SD and so on.......

Ain't rocket science here
I am already ticked off about being forced into burning my CDs because Chevy failed to include a CD player in a $70,000 car. My Vold and Silverado has a CD player and if I bought a Cadillac or any other GM car it would have a CD player so this whole topic of burning CDs is really getting me ticked off all over again.

So far I have burned less than 10 CDs and decided investing my time downloading old radio shows directly. With CD it is more of a PITA because first I need to transfer the CD to my computer then I need to convert it to a format that will work in my truck. Apparently AIFF and Apple lossless will not work in my truck the only thing that seems to work is using a MP3 encoder @ 192 KBPS. My blood pressure just went up while I typed this
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rawhide
THanks, I need all the help I can get. Can that sd flash drive randomly play the songs.
Yes! For any media playback (USB or SD card) you can select "playlists", "albums", "artists", "songs", etc. If you have shuffle on and select an album, it will shuffle the tunes from that album. If you select "songs", all the tunes on the SD card or jump drive will shuffle. Simple enough.

Last edited by VETJAZZ; 03-20-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

I am already ticked off about being forced into burning my CDs because Chevy failed to include a CD player in a $70,000 car. My Vold and Silverado has a CD player and if I bought a Cadillac or any other GM car it would have a CD player so this whole topic of burning CDs is really getting me ticked off all over again.

So far I have burned less than 10 CDs and decided investing my time downloading old radio shows directly. With CD it is more of a PITA because first I need to transfer the CD to my computer then I need to convert it to a format that will work in my truck. Apparently AIFF and Apple lossless will not work in my truck the only thing that seems to work is using a MP3 encoder @ 192 KBPS. My blood pressure just went up while I typed this
Well I can't help with your frustration (and anger) of having to rip your CDs. I'm just saying that once you have your music converted to MP3s and stored on your hard drive, all you need do is copy them over to USB, SD cards or whatever. On my main computer, it takes 2 minutes to copy 4 gigs of MP3s from my hard drive to either a USB stick or SD card. And once done, it's done.

Once ripped.. no muss no fuss....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mp3, SD ?????