Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just walked away after 3 months of waiting over $995

Old 03-20-2014, 02:35 PM
T_Bone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just walked away after 3 months of waiting over $995

I really expected my first thread to be much happier. To make a long story short, Maher in St. Petersburg Fl just completely screwed me over. Apparently the buyers order you sign when you order is only valid when it suits the dealer. I asked for an out the door total which after bickering back and forth (they started at 5k) over MSRP and finally finished at $500 over MSRP plus all the misc crap $495 predelivery fee, etc. They gave me a decent trade on my Porsche.

So yesterday the salesman calls to say the car will be here by next week (it's currently bayed in BG.) and explain about the price increase and I'm covered there BUT the MSRP on my buyers order was an approximation and the new figure is 1k over that. I'm like no way, we have a signed out the door number. He says nope it's an approximation. I'm so livid I say forget it sell the car to someone else and get your profit. So the manager calls today to explain the same thing stating " you do understand the word approximate, right". I would've probably relented up until this point. He says they'll send me a check for the difference of my Porsche trade and cash value whatever that means and that he doesn't want to sell me the car because he doesn't need the headache of a bad survey.
So here I am. Stunned. Without my Porsche I pretraded for who knows what they'll actually send. Prices in the Z51 have increased. I'm probably a jackass for pushing it but in my book a deal is a deal. Just dumbfounded. Not sure the vette was meant to be. I just hate having invested 3 months of my life into this car.

**Updated happy ending in post 81 to avoid confusion for those not reading the whole thread*

Last edited by T_Bone; 03-21-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Clarify resolution
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

"MSRP on my buyers order was an approximation"
Old 03-20-2014, 02:46 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Bone
I really expected my first thread to be much happier. To make a long story short, Maher in St. Petersburg Fl just completely screwed me over. Apparently the buyers order you sign when you order is only valid when it suits the dealer. I asked for an out the door total which after bickering back and forth (they started at 5k) over MSRP and finally finished at $500 over MSRP plus all the misc crap $495 predelivery fee, etc. They gave me a decent trade on my Porsche.

So yesterday the salesman calls to say the car will be here by next week (it's currently bayed in BG.) and explain about the price increase and I'm covered there BUT the MSRP on my buyers order was an approximation and the new figure is 1k over that. I'm like no way, we have a signed out the door number. He says nope it's an approximation. I'm so livid I say forget it sell the car to someone else and get your profit. So the manager calls today to explain the same thing stating " you do understand the word approximate, right". I would've probably relented up until this point. He says they'll send me a check for the difference of my Porsche trade and cash value whatever that means and that he doesn't want to sell me the car because he doesn't need the headache of a bad survey.
So here I am. Stunned. Without my Porsche I pretraded for who knows what they'll actually send. Prices in the Z51 have increased. I'm probably a jackass for pushing it but in my book a deal is a deal. Just dumbfounded. Not sure the vette was meant to be. I just hate having invested 3 months of my life into this car.
Remind me to never deal with Maher.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:49 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Lessons learned

1) NEVER do a pre-trade. EVER

2) Ask the dealer to point out in the sales contract where it says that MSRP is an approximation

3) Report the dealer to your local BBB

4) Never deal with those aholes again
Old 03-20-2014, 02:57 PM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious why did you pre trade your car. i didn't know that was possible.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Buyer beware....
Old 03-20-2014, 03:06 PM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think you need a survey to call Chevy customer service and take it up with them....just sayin.

-Mark
Old 03-20-2014, 03:07 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

T-Bone, the good news is thanks to the internet and forums like this one, dealers who pull this sh*t will lose lots of business from the enthusiast market.

I would still suggest you get your new car from one of the forum sponsor dealers who get good write-ups. I hate to see you not get the car at all because some dealer just doesn't get it....

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How quickly some dealers can forget the bad times they were experiencing only a few years ago. Then they were whining and crying for government bailouts which they got. Now, they are more fat and sassy with cars for sale that people want to buy.... and they turn back into the a......s they always were.
Just remember how you were treated. There is a marketing proverb: A happy customer will tell 3 people, an unhappy customer will tell 11 people ----so getting on CF you were able to tell a lot more than 11 people.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Lessons learned

1) NEVER do a pre-trade. EVER

2) Ask the dealer to point out in the sales contract where it says that MSRP is an approximation

3) Report the dealer to your local BBB

4) Never deal with those aholes again
Also, does it say it or not?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Go talk to the guys over at Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City off of I4, that's where I got mine. No above MSRP BS, and my transaction was smooth sailing.

I was at the cars and coffee at DuPont a few months ago and Maher had a new C7 convertible there. The salesman was talking to a few people about it, and the window sticker had a "$5000 market adjustment" on it. So I start talking pretty loudly to my friend that I bought mine at Stingray and they are not jacking the prices. The salesman turned around and gave me the evil eye.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

BTW Stingray is in the top 10 corvette dealers and have allocations.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:48 PM
CLAW TLCM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motohead279
BTW Stingray is in the top 10 corvette dealers and have allocations.
I am going to buy my C7 in 3 months for my wife's birthday and I will go to Stingray. I was looking at Maher but now......no way. Thanks for the heads up. Keep the info flowing guys. I really appreciate it!!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:02 PM
T_Bone
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wildmanht
Also, does it say it or not?
There is something handwritten that looks to me like Apr02 but apparently is aprox.

I guess that's on me for not questioning it but still... Dirty in my book.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Callihan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope it works out in the end you are going to love the car! It is bad business but the car is worth it specially if you ordered it with everything you wanted. I ordered mine with everything I wanted and could probably save a couple grand by purchasing through a forum dealer. Once you see it in person you will sign and be happy! Good luck! Take a couple deep breaths and go get it!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:27 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I am a former resident of Pinellas Co. and the BBB is your friend. I have used them in the past w/ good results. I would offer the Sales Mgr the opportunity to sell you the car based on the deal you originally had or advise him you will file a complaint w/ BBB. If the Sales Mgr elects not to do it, file the complaint. The BBB will advise the dealer immediately when the complaint has been filed. Maher has been in business for years and my guess is that making an extra $1000 is not worth it to them for the bad publicity. If not resolved to your satisfaction, the complaint will stand as UNRESOLVED on their record. Good luck!

Last edited by beepster; 03-20-2014 at 04:29 PM.
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Go to dealerrater.com and leave a bad review, go to google+ leave bad review, BBB file complaint, and I'd tell dealer they have one last chance before your contact your atty.

What a complete jerkoff dealer. I"m assuming you talked to the GM of the dealer as well?

Man I am sorry as a fellow Porsche guy. I'd push for the original deal, if not brush it off and go grab another one that's on a forum dealer lot. You know exactly what you will get.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by ATX-C7; 03-20-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Just walked away after 3 months of waiting over $995

T_Bone
Instructor

Originally Posted by Callihan
I hope it works out in the end you are going to love the car! It is bad business but the car is worth it specially if you ordered it with everything you wanted. I ordered mine with everything I wanted and could probably save a couple grand by purchasing through a forum dealer. Once you see it in person you will sign and be happy! Good luck! Take a couple deep breaths and go get it!
I'm not getting it. The GM already told me he doesn't want to sell it over the hassle of a negative review. My wife told me to suck it up and pay it so there's no way I'll be shelling out an additional $3200.
I'm trying hard not to let a bad apple ruin my whole opinion of Chevy but as my first experience with them, it's tough.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:29 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Guess that's what happens with a dealership named after Bill Maher
Old 03-20-2014, 04:38 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

So was the dealer actually off on the MSRP? If so, doesn't that mean that since you were willing at 500 over that the dealer was just not willing to sell at 500 below MSRP (off -1000+500 they were charging you over= -500)? That's just bad business to me. I'm guessing they thought since you did a pretrade that you'd just bend over for them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just walked away after 3 months of waiting over $995