Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme Oil Leak!!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:21 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Extreme Oil Leak!!

My baby (with only 11 miles on it) literally puked almost all of the oil out.

It puddled everywhere underneath the hood, sprayed the hood liner on the driver side, coated the entire undercarriage, and even coated the entire back of the car in oil. I was getting on the freeway, and at 70 mph, a massive cloud of white smoke shot out the back of the car. It didn't make a noise like a pop, crack, or anything that I could hear.

The car still will run perfectly. (I rolled it off the freeway with the engine off) and turned it on and drove it home about 1.5 miles away. Engine did not blow, ran very smooth.

The huge cloud of smoke, I assume, came from oil being sprayed all over the exhaust manifolds.

I checked the oil level and it is basically bone dry.

I had it put on a tow truck to the local dealership.

Never heard of such a catastrophic oil leak. It literally emptied all of it.

Every hear of something like this?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:24 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

That sounds truly disastrous! I've never heard of such a discharge of oil from the engine.

Elmer
Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Sounds like maybe the oil filter gasket failed? I had that happen to me many many years ago on a Honda

Wouldn't be unusual if it was overtightened....
Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
My baby (with only 11 miles on it) literally puked almost all of the oil out.

It puddled everywhere underneath the hood, sprayed the hood liner on the driver side, coated the entire undercarriage, and even coated the entire back of the car in oil. I was getting on the freeway, and at 70 mph, a massive cloud of white smoke shot out the back of the car. It didn't make a noise like a pop, crack, or anything that I could hear.

The car still will run perfectly. (I rolled it off the freeway with the engine off) and turned it on and drove it home about 1.5 miles away. Engine did not blow, ran very smooth.

The huge cloud of smoke, I assume, came from oil being sprayed all over the exhaust manifolds.

I had it put on a tow truck to the local dealership.

Never heard of such a catastrophic oil leak. It literally emptied all of it.

Every hear of something like this?
Is your car a Z51?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 AM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

...and just because it didn't register on the dipstick does not mean it was "bone dry". And be careful about how you express yourself reference "driving 1.5 miles" after saying it was bone dry. There could be warranty implications for continuing to drive it after you already knew something was very wrong.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What did the oil pressure gauge show and did any service engine or oil warning lights come on?

From a previous post I'm assuming this is not a Z51.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,356 Likes on 784 Posts

drove it home about 1.5 miles away.

Uhhh. Just sayin'
Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Uhhh. Just sayin'
Why in the hell would you drive it home? To make sure it was completely destroyed?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 AM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Uhhh. Just sayin'
Which was my point ref the warranty implications.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjw930
What did the oil pressure gauge show and did any service engine or oil warning lights come on?

From a previous post I'm assuming this is not a Z51.
Correct, it is a Non-Z51.

The check engine light did NOT come on.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:05 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
Why in the hell would you drive it home? To make sure it was completely destroyed?

I was so close to home, all I could think of was to just limp it home and check it out. When it drove just fine, I guess I was a bit confused, in that weird mental state, and just drove it home.

Stupid, thinking back on it. Sometimes you just get into a mind set and go with it.

No flames, no smell, no CEL, temp gauge read normal, car drove fine, I zoned in to getting it home. Had oil not smoked off the exhaust manifolds, I wouldn't have had a clue anything was wrong.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:08 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

And my driveway has the most horrible oil stain I've ever seen. It dripped off from all over the underside of the car, not just the engine bay area.

Gonna have to clean that up!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

And my driveway has the most horrible oil stain I've ever seen. It dripped off from all over the underside of the car, not just the engine bay area.

Gonna have to clean that up!
Plug still on? Filter in place? Any pics?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:24 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was so close to home, all I could think of was to just limp it home and check it out. When it drove just fine, I guess I was a bit confused, in that weird mental state, and just drove it home.

Stupid, thinking back on it. Sometimes you just get into a mind set and go with it.

No flames, no smell, no CEL, temp gauge read normal, car drove fine, I zoned in to getting it home. Had oil not smoked off the exhaust manifolds, I wouldn't have had a clue anything was wrong.
You didn't mention it but did your OIL GAUGE show pressure at all times?

It's possible this is a simple leak from the oil line leading into or out of the oil cooler, assuming there is an external cooler on the LT1. The loss of 2 quarts, enough to be below the dip stick, would look like the Exxon Valdez oil spill yet still provide enough oil to maintain pressure and hence save the engine from damage. It could be something as simple as an oil line not being tightened and it backed off a little. Certainly unacceptable but not catastrophic unless it happened at speed on the highway and you didn't notice it till your oil light came on.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
Plug still on? Filter in place? Any pics?
No pics. Filter was there.

Hard to see under such a low car.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

My money is still on the filter gasket.....

Get notified of new replies

To Extreme Oil Leak!!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM
jsiddall
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's possible this is a simple leak from the oil line leading into or out of the oil cooler, assuming there is an external cooler on the LT1. The loss of 2 quarts, enough to be below the dip stick, would look like the Exxon Valdez oil spill yet still provide enough oil to maintain pressure and hence save the engine from damage. It could be something as simple as an oil line not being tightened and it backed off a little. Certainly unacceptable but not catastrophic unless it happened at speed on the highway and you didn't notice it till your oil light came on.

If the leak was on the way back to the pan and it never went dry then the oil pressure never dropped an no harm was done to the internals.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:50 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

If memory serves me, the engine is programmed to shut down on really low oil pressure so I am thinking there was still enough oil in the sump to get you home without oil pressure getting too low.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

The oil light never came on, and the gauge, honestly, I didn't check while the car was still on because I just drove it home real quick, parked it, and pushed it when I had to move it. (Electronic parking brake is annoying as hell btw, lol)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extreme Oil Leak!!