C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Cooler Upgrade Info Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Transmission Cooler Upgrade Info Wanted

so i am unsure of the tranny cooler that is on my car but I have seen the B&M hi tek coolers and think it would be perfect to keep my trans temps down. So i have a few questions and info needed on them for those that are running this cooler.

1. who has the best price on the hi tek cooler?
2. best place to mount it? front or rear?
3. best way to wire it? (a diagram would be awesome or pics of how it is wired) come on with ignition or switch to turn it on as needed or to come on at a certain temp?
4. also thoughts of using 2 of these coolers 1 for the trans and 1 for the oil?

Rick
Old 02-24-2014, 12:59 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

1.Summit will match prices even ebay
2.Mount it up front better air flow even if it has a fan
3.mine comes on with ignition buy a T-stat would be nice.
4.Yes oil cooler would be good I'm working on my oil cooler now.

I hope someone else with more experience will help more I'm learning too.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

also there is apparently 2 sizes of the fanned b&m cooler and i am guessing that most likely the smaller cooler will have to be used because of space restrictions?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Not sure about on a C5, but on my C6 I run the smaller model for my trans. Mounted in front of the passenger side wheel. I bypassed the built in thermostat and have the fan run all the time. I found the fan started to late with the thermostat. It does a great job of keeping the trans cool mounted this way.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 PM
mch28
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Not sure about on a C5, but on my C6 I run the smaller model for my trans. Mounted in front of the passenger side wheel. I bypassed the built in thermostat and have the fan run all the time. I found the fan started to late with the thermostat. It does a great job of keeping the trans cool mounted this way.

I'll be adding a cooler soon due to my new supercharger hogging up the cool air. I found the cooler Here
What hoses did you use?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 PM
digivex
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a/c man
1.Summit will match prices even ebay
2.Mount it up front better air flow even if it has a fan
3.mine comes on with ignition buy a T-stat would be nice.
4.Yes oil cooler would be good I'm working on my oil cooler now.

I hope someone else with more experience will help more I'm learning too.
If Summit will match price, given them this link and ask them to match it:

http://autoplicity.com/products/3395...x7_5x4_in.aspx
Old 02-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by digivex
If Summit will match price, given them this link and ask them to match it:

http://autoplicity.com/products/3395...x7_5x4_in.aspx
thats the cheapesat ive seen 1 so far
Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Gitusum
so i am unsure of the tranny cooler that is on my car but I have seen the B&M hi tek coolers and think it would be perfect to keep my trans temps down. So i have a few questions and info needed on them for those that are running this cooler.

1. who has the best price on the hi tek cooler?
2. best place to mount it? front or rear?
3. best way to wire it? (a diagram would be awesome or pics of how it is wired) come on with ignition or switch to turn it on as needed or to come on at a certain temp?
4. also thoughts of using 2 of these coolers 1 for the trans and 1 for the oil?

Rick

The cooler you want is the B&M #70297. It has a thermostat for the fan but it comes on too late.. You really want to keep the tranny temp under 200*... Most just wire the fan to a switched 12V source so it runs any time the key/engine is on... I wired mine thru a toggle switch and then to the 12v source... I've found I only really need to run the fan in stop/start situations, and in the winter I don't need it at all... So no point in running it all the time imop.

Here is the cheapest you'll find it...
Amazon Amazon

Mine:

I see around 170-180* on average...hottest I have seen it was 195* the end of the summer in bumper to bumper traffic...and that's with a real loose converter.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajrothm
The cooler you want is the B&M #70297. It has a thermostat for the fan but it comes on too late.. You really want to keep the tranny temp under 200*... Most just wire the fan to a switched 12V source so it runs any time the key/engine is on... I wired mine thru a toggle switch and then to the 12v source... I've found I only really need to run the fan in stop/start situations, and in the winter I don't need it at all... So no point in running it all the time imop.

Here is the cheapest you'll find it...
http://www.amazon.com/70297-Hi-Tek-T.../dp/B000CIIE1W

Mine:

I see around 170-180* on average...hottest I have seen it was 195* the end of the summer in bumper to bumper traffic...and that's with a real loose converter.
i figured the 1 you have would be to big to fit which is why i was going to go with the smaller 1. also how do you guys have your lines run and whats the best place to buy the lines/fittings ? just trying to get everything together instead of guessing what size i need its alot easier to ask those that have already installed 1. looking to know what size and length lines where you guys connect to and what size fittins and stuff i know i am asking alot of questions but after 1 trans failure i want to make sure i do all that i can to keep it from happening again

Rick
Old 02-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

I run an RV trans cooler up front, hanging off the ac condenser. Also a B&M 70297 in the back. The fan comes on at like 180, plus I added a manual switch in case the thermostat goes out. I use the LPE oil cooler.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Chris doesnt the cooler you have up front make the car run warmer/hotter with the i/c and condensor and the trans cooler in front of the radiator?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

No ill effects. The engine coolant temps are something I've never had trouble with.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

would the b&m 70297 be a good oil cooler as well? i am wanting to cool both the trans and oil or would the smaller b&m 70298 work well for the oil?

Rick
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gitusum
would the b&m 70297 be a good oil cooler as well? i am wanting to cool both the trans and oil or would the smaller b&m 70298 work well for the oil?

Rick

No you need to get a real oil cooler... You don't want any type of restriction in an oil cooler... Don't want to create any oil starvation issues... Stick with real oil coolers for the engine oil.

The 70297 tranny cooler can be mounted on the passenger side below the headlight like mine, but it can be mounted horizontally there. I didn't have enough room on the driver side to mount it that way...

As for lines and fittings, you are gonna have to fab up all that stuff on your own. Every car and install is different.

PS.. I had the big tranny cooler like Chris' in front of my radiator and I definitely had heat issues... I live in Houston so its hot as FK down here..... That is a great cooler he has though. My tranny actually ran cooler with that trans cooler then the 70297.....But the latter packages much better in a vette keeping it away from the radiator.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

No you need to get a real oil cooler... You don't want any type of restriction in an oil cooler... Don't want to create any oil starvation issues... Stick with real oil coolers for the engine oil.

The 70297 tranny cooler can be mounted on the passenger side below the headlight like mine, but it can be mounted horizontally there. I didn't have enough room on the driver side to mount it that way...

As for lines and fittings, you are gonna have to fab up all that stuff on your own. Every car and install is different.

PS.. I had the big tranny cooler like Chris' in front of my radiator and I definitely had heat issues... I live in Houston so its hot as FK down here..... That is a great cooler he has though. My tranny actually ran cooler with that trans cooler then the 70297.....But the latter packages much better in a vette keeping it away from the radiator.
thanx for the advice and which oil cooler do you suggest? this is why i love you guys here... you freakin rock!!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:58 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I used an Earl's 19 row oil cooler, -10an fittings and hoses and the Lingenfelter billet adapter for oil feeds at the block. I actually gained oil pressure with this setup... Lowered the oil temps about 20-25* on average.. Gained about 8 psi at hot idle.

***NOTE***
Mount your oil cooler on the driver side and the tranny cooler on the passenger side for much easier plumbing... The only reason I mounted mine this way was due to the BOVs mounted on the passenger side, I didn't have room for the wide tranny cooler on the passenger side.

Last edited by ajrothm; 02-24-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

do you have a part number on that oil cooler by chance? and also the billet adaptor

Last edited by Gitusum; 02-24-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Cooler Upgrade Info Wanted

Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Amazon.com: Earl's 41910ERL 19 Row Oil Cooler -10 AN: Automotive Amazon.com: Earl's 41910ERL 19 Row Oil Cooler -10 AN: Automotive

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...4#.UwwDVrCYaM8
Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

awesome! thanx again..... the oil cooler link shows 3 different coolers so which 1 will be the right 1?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:53 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im running the same coolers as Aj he helped me pick my oil cooler setup too looks good Aj

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Upgrade Info Wanted