C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telescope steering doesn't work. Please help!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 AM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Default Telescope steering doesn't work. Please help!

Never worked when I bought it from a used car lot. I check the connection underneath and noticed 2 plugs that were not plug in. They were too short to connect anywhere else but they don't fit each other either.

I can't seem to find a good diagram where these connector goes. Any help would be great! TIA!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 AM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

FYI.. Check the fuse and it's good to go.

Also did the 8 click forward and 8 click back to try to reset it.
Result of that? Dead in the water.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I have no idea what you mean by the "8 click forward and 8 click back" but you need to calibrate the soft stops stored in the BCM after repairs to the telescoping steering column. The calibration is done similar to the window indexing. Operate the telescoping column all the way out. Hold the switch on for an additional three seconds after the column has reached the physical stop. Operate the telescoping column all the way in. Hold the switch on for an additional three seconds after the column has reached the physical stop. There is no "clicking". You hold the button till the column is where you want it.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I learned something; never knew that, Ft. M.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I learned something; never knew that, Ft. M.
Me too!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Kouasupra
Never worked when I bought it from a used car lot. I check the connection underneath and noticed 2 plugs that were not plug in. They were too short to connect anywhere else but they don't fit each other either.

I can't seem to find a good diagram where these connector goes. Any help would be great! TIA!
Where did you find these two connectors? If you are talking about under the seat the connectors plug into the memory module which is clipped to the bottom of the seat spring. You won't be able to see without removing the seat since the seat motors and the lumbar pump (if you have the lumbar option) block your view.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-06-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Try zip tying these connectors under the drivers seat. It worked for me.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Try zip tying these connectors under the drivers seat. It worked for me.

^^ there are two addition connectors attached to the main power connector wires from the seat that are not connected.

In this photo it looks hidden. (Not the wires coming from the car floor carpet but the one from the seat.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I have no idea what you mean by the "8 click forward and 8 click back" but you need to calibrate the soft stops stored in the BCM after repairs to the telescoping steering column. The calibration is done similar to the window indexing. Operate the telescoping column all the way out. Hold the switch on for an additional three seconds after the column has reached the physical stop. Operate the telescoping column all the way in. Hold the switch on for an additional three seconds after the column has reached the physical stop. There is no "clicking". You hold the button till the column is where you want it.
I've already tried this method last month. Doesn't work.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Where did you find these two connectors? If you are talking about under the seat the connectors plug into the memory module which is clipped to the bottom of the seat spring. You won't be able to see without removing the seat since the seat motors and the lumbar pump (if you have the lumbar option) block your view.

Bill
I actually pulled the seat out and of the car. Stupid me. I didn't get any photos of the two connectors. I know they plug in somewhere but I didn't see anything.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's another possibility: I had two wires under my seat with small tears in their respective housings causing them to short. I removed my seats to discover the wires were wrapped in black tape which I saw was a bit disheveled so I pulled the tape off to discover the torn wire housings. Very small tears mind you. I believe this happened as a result of the seat being lowered all the way and the wires rubbed by the seat bottom against the floor or seat rails or something, when the memory function worked. Anyway, I isolated the short, retaped the wires and bingo, good as new...which by the way the seats were as this happened almost immediately in my 2013 GS. Consequently I slightly raised the seating position in the memory function and a year later still works like new. Just a thought.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine doesn't always return the the driver memory position. It seems like its 50/50 that it works. Seat will move into place just fine. Steering wheel with either not move at all or just a hair. Its a little annoying.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:16 AM
CodaC6
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perform Column Calibration Tech2

Check and clean all related circuit connections, under the driver seat and in the steering column to the telescoping motor, clear any DTCs, and run column calibration in Tech2 on the Driver Position Module. Worked for me. Motor spun up and working after calibration.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:58 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe is is related, maybe it is not.

When I adjust my driver seat all the way down, I feel a bump up into my rump. I set the seat a little higher and the irritation goes away. The bump in my rump set off an old sciatica problem I once had. Fortunately my sciatica went away as fast as it came after I realized the contributor.

I assume the group of connectors under my driver seat need to be repositioned so that they all rest flat on the carpet.....not one on top of another.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:48 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

You realize this is a ten year old thread don’t you ?

Get notified of new replies

To Telescope steering doesn't work. Please help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Telescope steering doesn't work. Please help!