Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow dry your C7

Old 02-05-2014, 11:57 AM
rsl2715
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Blow dry your C7

Just picked up my TR-Z51 last week,when it comes time for the first bath.It will be done by me by hand. Picked up a good idea on line how to dry your car.They said use a electric grass blower highest blowing power goes for about 100 dollars,you know the stores.DO NOT USE A GAS BLOWER.I believe this is a very good idea,will get those places a towel never gets.R
Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
H2LS3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsl2715
Just picked up my TR-Z51 last week,when it comes time for the first bath.It will be done by me by hand. Picked up a good idea on line how to dry your car.They said use a electric grass blower highest blowing power goes for about 100 dollars,you know the stores.DO NOT USE A GAS BLOWER.I believe this is a very good idea,will get those places a towel never gets.R
Electric leaf blowers work good, but if you want to take it a step further check out the master blaster.

Heats and filters the air too.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...er-p-4006.html

Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Make sure you get the blowers with an intake filter, otherwise you blow stuff in the air right into your paint. I use a black and decker cordless . Final wipe is with a waffle weave towel, straight from dryer, made for drying.never scratched in 10 years.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-05-2014 at 12:11 PM.
rotherd31
Instructor

I'll just use my Master-Blaster with twin 4hp motors, for the wheels, vents and t-light trim.
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I have a Master Blaster and it works very well
Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM
jman1151
Intermediate

Please explain why no gas blower???
Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 PM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ONLY dry my cars with an electric leaf blower. The more you put towels on the paint the more micro/fine swirls and scratches you will introduce into the clear coat. Especially bad in darker color cars. Also be sure to pre soak using a foam gun and then wash with the 2 bucket method. If and when you use towels, always use clean and tested ones, I always keep a few new computer CD's lying in my garage for the CD test. Mist the CD with detail spray and wipe with the towel. If the towel scratches the surface of the CD it does not get used on the car and is then relegated to interior and under hood clean up. I personally keep about 200 micro fiber towels on hand and store in plastic totes labeled clean and dirty. Wash with only liquid laundry soap and air dry - never put in the dryer with fabric softener. Good luck with the new Stingray!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Gas can throw oil and film onto the paint.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 PM
georgied
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I use an Air Shammey that I got for my motorcycles. Works great and it's quite a bit cheaper than some of the others. http://www.airshammy.com/
Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

I ONLY dry my cars with an electric leaf blower. The more you put towels on the paint the more micro/fine swirls and scratches you will introduce into the clear coat. Especially bad in darker color cars. Also be sure to pre soak using a foam gun and then wash with the 2 bucket method. If and when you use towels, always use clean and tested ones, I always keep a few new computer CD's lying in my garage for the CD test. Mist the CD with detail spray and wipe with the towel. If the towel scratches the surface of the CD it does not get used on the car and is then relegated to interior and under hood clean up. I personally keep about 200 micro fiber towels on hand and store in plastic totes labeled clean and dirty. Wash with only liquid laundry soap and air dry - never put in the dryer with fabric softener. Good luck with the new Stingray!
You have it right sir. Rubbing and scrubbing on that clear coat is not a good idea...once you scratch it you have to wax it. Our washing and waxing methodology is stuck in pre clear coat times.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I dry mine ONLY with a chamois made from the belly hide of unicorns.

I spray detailing spray on the drying car and dry it using a micro fiber and the mix of water and detain spray. Works well.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 PM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H2LS3
Electric leaf blowers work good, but if you want to take it a step further check out the master blaster.

I have a master blaster. It is awesome!!! Car is dried with zero spotting in like 10 min!!! No towels to wash no scratching. I use it inside to blow out dust and dirt since I ride with my windows down 99% of the time. I would suggest getting one.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:06 PM
MikeK
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using an electric Toro blower/vac for maybe 25-30 years. Great for an initial (you want to leave some spotlets on the windows and body to wipe off any spotting or streaking) drying and a final at the door handles, license plates, mirrors, or any place that water migrates to before it drys. Absolutely great for wheels. Corvette owners have been doing this for years since most of us are so ****!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by H2LS3

On sale at Best Buy for $285.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

Master Blaster. I swear by it.

The Electrolux lives on!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:04 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

I use my Echo gas blower and never had a problem and no need to worry about an electrical cord. I hold the tip with one hand and the other the blower. In one minute I get the wheels, mirrors, taillights and most of the water off the car then finish with Griot's yellow drying towel(they are great).
Old 02-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Make sure you get the blowers with an intake filter, otherwise you blow stuff in the air right into your paint. I use a black and decker cordless . Final wipe is with a waffle weave towel, straight from dryer, made for drying.never scratched in 10 years.
Where do you find an electric leaf blower with an intake filter?

Get notified of new replies

To Blow dry your C7

Old 02-05-2014, 03:13 PM
gkwpnut
Instructor

Default blow dry

Originally Posted by c6miller
I use my Echo gas blower and never had a problem and no need to worry about an electrical cord. I hold the tip with one hand and the other the blower. In one minute I get the wheels, mirrors, taillights and most of the water off the car then finish with Griot's yellow drying towel(they are great).
+1 exact same way it must be a Ga. thing
Old 02-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by c6miller

The exact same thing I do. I leave a little water on so that the towel does not touch the car dry.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Hebstar11
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeK
...since most of us are so ****!
Yeah. People have said that about me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blow dry your C7