C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't even want to drive it

Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Don't even want to drive it

I just spent a large amount of cash turning my C6 into a Supervette and the other day I let the wife drive it to the store and it came home with a door ding in the paint the size of a quarter. The paint was very expensive and it changes colors from black to blue in the sun light. The paint job was blocked and slicked out so it looks like glass. Now i have a quarter size piece of paint missing from the center of the drivers door and I don't even want to drive the car because it makes me sick. The wife is no longer allowed to drive the car and it is heading back to the shop to get the door repainted. There is no way they did not know they did this and I would have given anything to catch them in the act.

this is what my car looks like and no I am not going to post a picture of the damage.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:07 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

What a terrible shame. I cringe everytime I have to park in a lot. And as shown here on the forum pictures of parking C6's way out in the lot with junkers parked right next to it -
Really sorry brother, I try best I can to take care of mine, but the level you brought yours up too I'd have to say I'd be sick. -- Sorry again, hope the fix/blend works out and it's back to new.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

That's sad. For your wife, that is. How is this her fault? Did she run into someone?

lisa
Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I totally understand your feelings. Please don't be too hard on your wife. She did not ding the door, some a$$hat did. Did you ask her to be careful where she parks?

Remember : If Momma ain't happy nobody's happy.

The paint can be fixed easier than a mad wife.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Put simply, you DO NOT DRIVE a show car. If you do drive one on the street, it WILL get dusty. It WILL get sand blasted across the front and yes, it WILL get the odd door ding. Unless your wife ran into someone, I think she deserves an apology.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Shouldn't they put something in the paint to make it more flexible on a plastic car?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:33 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

It's a sad but true fact of life that if you drive your car - at any time, anywhere - eventually it's going to get damaged. There are just too many idiots out there with no respect for other people's property. Hell, most of them don't even take care of their own car - why would they possibly care about yours? I realize none of this helps or makes you feel any better, but here's my advice: 1. Don't take it out on the wife. If she knows you at all, she knows how bad you feel. She feels even worse, even if she doesn't say so. 2. Get the car fixed, and fixed right, to your satisfaction. 3. Continue to drive it, just be as careful as you can. To me, the very best part of Corvette ownership is driving the car. Yours is spectacular, and tucking it away where no one will ever see it is no answer.

After all, ships are safest in port . . . But that's not what ships are for.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

A relationship with the wife and children far out weighs any minor ding in a door.

I know it is hard to get something almost perfect and then something happen. I did it with a 40 ft motorhome when I caught an in place BBQ at a canp site. At least it was not concreted in and moved so I only got a scratch. That is an expensive paint job as a repaint is over $25,000 for the whole motorhome.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wife is not in trouble, I am not her daddy I do not get onto her. She parked up front between a couple cars because she was going to be real quick, she knows she messed up. I have told her how to park and she knows to park it out back. She does not want to drive it anymore because she does not want to worry about it.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that. though it's not really your wife's fault, my wife is kind of oblivious to the fact that parking her car in certain spots raises the chance that the car could be damaged. Many people just don't think like that "situational awareness" and it would never cross their mind. It's an ongoing training with my wife. Just like how she tries to train me how to load the dishwasher. For some reason, I never do it right!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:02 PM
LPT2011
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep .... remember:

Happy wife .... happy life
Old 01-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car. The wife should've know better on that one. The GF always asks to drive my Vette, I always tell her no. She never asks to drive my 06 Taurus! However stories like yours makes me stick to my guns. Sure it's just a car, that dent probably will cost hundreds to fix, if not more. I'm sure she doesn't like it if you throw a bunch of money down the drain.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I just realized something...now this is just me, but there have been times when I have driven my DD instead of the vette just because I wanted to be more mentally comfortable. By that I mean with the vette I have to be aware of where I park, more diligent of potholes and things of this nature. That's sad because we pay good money to drive an awesome machine so now I always tell myself that I'm paying good money to drive it not keep it safe in the garage...I even was considering a Nissan 370Z just because I wouldn't worry about it as much and so I might enjoy it more...I'm over all that now...but when I see a beautiful Ferrari sometimes I think "man would I be able to enjoy that car or would I be constantly OCD about everything about it?" You can't take your car with you when you die, drive and enjoy it...if something like the OP's story happens YES it sucks but you just have to realize it's paint, not a terminal diagnosis from your doctor. OP I know you're sick, any car guy would be initially, but I would let the wife off the hook...it's not like she ran it up on a curb...so after you apologize go buy her a 370Z would ya?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:44 PM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with Crowhater on this one. She doesn't want to drive it anymore because she said she doesn't want to have to worry about it. Simply for her, driving it is not worth the hassle or responsibility. If you want to drive my car then you have to be able to handle said reponsibility(parking out in the middle of nowhere, avoiding a$$hats, etc.). If you don't want this on your shoulders then drive your own car.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Sorry to hear of this but it's seems to be par for the course for show cars. If you put that much into the finish, no one should be driving it to the local stall-mart store.

My wife makes jokes about driving my car but when I hand her the fob the first thing she says is, "I'm not driving that thing. I don't want to be yelled at." I laugh and tell her she can't drive it anyway because she's too short. Then I give her a big hug (and grab her a$$$) and we go about our business.

LG!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

That sucks...people suck...
Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LPT2011
yep .... remember:

Happy wife .... happy life
Happy life...... No Wife

Get notified of new replies

To Don't even want to drive it

Old 01-28-2014, 03:54 PM
rick7913
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I never take my Be the to the to grocery stores, malls, or Wal-Mart because some dip **** will all ways park next to you. I learned this year's ago when I had my new 280zx.

Hope the repaint on the door comes out good.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:27 PM
tomtoro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That is one beautiful car in that pic! Nice job on the mods! I'm sure you have to see it in person to appreciate the paint job in the sun and it sounds awesome.

Sorry to hear about the gouge and it is my biggest fear. Even worse than cracking my front on a parking block, cause at least it would be my fault and not some idiot that opened his/her door with their foot.

My wife refuses to drive mine for this exact reason so I feel for you and your wife. I'm sure she's bummed too.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe me, we all (car guys) feel for you. The people at my office think I'm crazy parking so far away (as long as I car see the car in plain sight from my office window).
Springtime comes and I have to worry about the landscapers prepping all the beds around the lot. Then during the summer they're cutting the grass, then in fall they're weed wacking sh__ everywhere. Constantly have to run out and move car to keep out of harms way. If it looks like rain can't bring the car. Non-car people just DO NOT understand this. Just like everytime you let the car out of your sight to have serviced (oil change, etc..). Get it back and bam -- a new something that wasn't there when you brought it in. Drives me crazy!
Believe me we all feel for you.
How many times have you been in your vehicle (hopefully not in one of your "toys" but your everyday driver) and someone parks next to you. now you're sitting there waiting for your wife who ran in for something and you hear a door hit your car! I'm ready to get out and clobber someone. Unfortunately most people think a car is to get from point a to point b and many just don't respect other peoples property. This is a very sore subject with me as well. Just as some of my co-workers who say "why do you buy a car like that if you have to worry about it all the time?"
Hopefully you can get the damage repaired and enjoy that beautiful ride like nothing happened. We've all been there and feel for ya!
All the best my friend.
S -

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don't even want to drive it