C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:16 PM
MrAngry
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing

Hi guys -

My name is Mike Musto and I'm the host and producer of a show called /BIG MUSCLE on Youtube's drive Network. I recently wrote a post for CorvetteForum about the new Z07 and why I think many potential buyers will love the fact that GM is now offering a decent paddle shifted automatic. Yes, I know that a torque converter is still in the mix, however I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...06-good-thing/

Cheers and thanks - Mike
Old 01-13-2014, 05:21 PM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Great write up! And the fact that it shifts faster than a PDK in the 911 is all I needed to hear. I can't wait to drive one of these!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

As a friend of mine wrote today, "It's nice that people who are unable to drive a stick will now be able to buy a Z06."

Beyond that, I said days ago an automatic would be a big selling point for a potential buyer, and that it would absolutely up the number of sales. That said, it depends on a lot of things but first is, the starting price of a Z06. If it's too high, even an automatic and removable top won't help much.

The tech of this new automatic has to include at least one thing to make it "sale-able" as far as I'm concerned: cost. Cost to produce and cost to maintain. If the latter doesn't work well (meaning, it's expensive to repair matching a dual clutch in cost to keep), then it'll soon prove to be a negative. Why soon? Because with 630 + lbs ft. of torque, this trans will be tested very well and very fast on the streets.

Actually, I can understand why some don't want a Z06 with an automatic but if it works well as projected, it could breathe new life into a small-numbers car. After all, the combined sales per year of both ZR1s and Z06s of the last gen were very small. I hope all the features including the automatic 8 speed trans helps sales.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrAngry
Hi guys -

My name is Mike Musto and I'm the host and producer of a show called /BIG MUSCLE on Youtube's drive Network. I recently wrote a post for CorvetteForum about the new Z07 and why I think many potential buyers will love the fact that GM is now offering a decent paddle shifted automatic. Yes, I know that a torque converter is still in the mix, however I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...06-good-thing/

Cheers and thanks - Mike
It's nice to have the option for those who want it I think. I have nothing against it being offered. If you prefer a manual, then buy a manual. But those that don't want a manual can join in on the fun now also.

MrAngry? I think I know you. Do you/Did you drive a 68 Charger???
Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I hate the idea of an "auto" Z06.

Why?
Cause when my wife finds out, she'll wanna drive it.
When I bought my '08 Z, and told her it only came in a manual, she said," You know that I won't be able to drive it." To which I replied, "I'm sorry , honey."

Honestly, it's a great idea.
I will probably still get a manual in a few years.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:03 PM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default People just like to bitch

Some people are NEVER satisfied. They want a Chevrolet Ferrari, then complain because it's more expensive than a Mustang. Their mouths demand stuff their wallets (& most other Corvette buyer's) can't afford. While we don't yet know the price of the new Z06, you can bet many of those same people will be complaining that it's OVERPRICED - in spite of the fact that it can alreeady beat a ZR1 and may even beat a Porsche GT3 ond other 'supercars'. Yet, they EXPECT GM to build a dual clutch automatic with WELL BELOW 50 THOUSAND UNITS in total volume potential. At that volume, the transmission would cost $5,000 per unit - OR MORE.

It makes it tough to read the Forum when people complain without thinking. Look at all the people who bitched because the team under-estimated demand for the Z51 package. Can you imagine PUTTING YOUR JOB ON THE LINE and telling management to build 75% Z51s. I might have gone out on a limb and recommended 50% installation at intro - since early buyers tend to load their cars. But nobody in their right mind would go much higher, because they need to KEEP THEIR JOBS.

Don''t demand of others what you wouldn't do yourself - if you were in their shoes. I had to wait an extra four weeks because of the Z51 parts shortage. And, while I certainly didn't like it, I UNDERSTOOD.

Can you imagine the piece of crap car that would have been built if some of these loudmouths had developed it, instead of Tadge and his crew?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Automatic is good and so is a Convertible.

I would not be interested in either as I prefer Manual and Hardtop but is is a wise business decision.

If Ferrari, Lambhorgini and Porsche dot it successfully in their H-Po models so should Corvette.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 PM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it is the best of both worlds as long as it works like the automatic ZL1.

I've seen many people spend a great deal of cash and have long down times with an auto/manual transaxle.

The control offered by the automatic in the ZL1 is great.

It would be nice to hear that they've optimized the convertor to make it as light and as small in diameter as possible.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by loyalsince72
... Some people are NEVER satisfied. They want a Chevrolet Ferrari, then complain because it's more expensive than a Mustang. Their mouths demand stuff their wallets (& most other Corvette buyer's) can't afford. While we don't yet know the price of the new Z06, you can bet many of those same people will be complaining that it's OVERPRICED - in spite of the fact that it can alreeady beat a ZR1 and may even beat a Porsche GT3 ond other 'supercars'. Yet, they EXPECT GM to build a dual clutch automatic with WELL BELOW 50 THOUSAND UNITS in total volume potential. At that volume, the transmission would cost $5,000 per unit - OR MORE.

It makes it tough to read the Forum when people complain without thinking. Look at all the people who bitched because the team under-estimated demand for the Z51 package. Can you imagine PUTTING YOUR JOB ON THE LINE and telling management to build 75% Z51s. I might have gone out on a limb and recommended 50% installation at intro - since early buyers tend to load their cars. But nobody in their right mind would go much higher, because they need to KEEP THEIR JOBS.

Don''t demand of others what you wouldn't do yourself - if you were in their shoes. I had to wait an extra four weeks because of the Z51 parts shortage. And, while I certainly didn't like it, I UNDERSTOOD.

Can you imagine the piece of crap car that would have been built if some of these loudmouths had developed it, instead of Tadge and his crew?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET

Why?
When I bought my '08 Z, and told her it only came in a manual, she said," You know that I won't be able to drive it." To which I replied, "I'm sorry , honey."

First thing the wife said when I told her about the auto... "ooh, and I can take it to work and...."

At that exact moment, if only for a brief snippet of time I new the c7 z06 would be the baine of my existence. and then it subsided and all was well. I think...
Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

When the automatic z06 is as fast as the manual on the road course if not faster than the corvette team achieved it's goal.

Mr, Ruess said that this new automatic 8 speed corvette was a no compromise transmission so I'm excited to try it ...

I sit in hours of manhattan bumper to bumper traffic and even though I've been driving manuals for over three decades....including my present corvette....I'm considering an automatic next time around...

Th lift off roof does make it that much easier to go z06....
Old 01-13-2014, 07:37 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by k wright
I think it is the best of both worlds as long as it works like the automatic ZL1.

I've seen many people spend a great deal of cash and have long down times with an auto/manual transaxle.

The control offered by the automatic in the ZL1 is great.

It would be nice to hear that they've optimized the convertor to make it as light and as small in diameter as possible.
The A8 will be a huge step over the ZL1's auto imo.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
As a friend of mine wrote today, "It's nice that people who are unable to drive a stick will now be able to buy a Z06."

Beyond that, I said days ago an automatic would be a big selling point for a potential buyer, and that it would absolutely up the number of sales. That said, it depends on a lot of things but first is, the starting price of a Z06. If it's too high, even an automatic and removable top won't help much.

The tech of this new automatic has to include at least one thing to make it "sale-able" as far as I'm concerned: cost. Cost to produce and cost to maintain. If the latter doesn't work well (meaning, it's expensive to repair matching a dual clutch in cost to keep), then it'll soon prove to be a negative. Why soon? Because with 630 + lbs ft. of torque, this trans will be tested very well and very fast on the streets.

Actually, I can understand why some don't want a Z06 with an automatic but if it works well as projected, it could breathe new life into a small-numbers car. After all, the combined sales per year of both ZR1s and Z06s of the last gen were very small. I hope all the features including the automatic 8 speed trans helps sales.

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Automatic is good and so is a Convertible.

I would not be interested in either as I prefer Manual and Hardtop but is is a wise business decision.

If Ferrari, Lambhorgini and Porsche dot it successfully in their H-Po models so should Corvette.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I not fond of the idea of an automatic in the Z06 (think it should have a different name), but if it helps sell more cars and keeps the Z06 in production, and at a decent price, then so be it. At least, I think the automatic will be a pretty decent box as far as automatics go, and am actually anxious to see some test results on how it performs.

Michael
Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank You team Corvette for the automatic trans it makes the car.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:42 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems Chevy's strategy to incorporate an auto gearbox into their go-fast vette is an attempt to drive sales to recoup development costs... Although I get the feeling this C7 Z06 is not such a radical departure from the base as the previous Z06.

Personally, I like the idea of owning a vehicle that is offered ONLY as a manual (I own two). Nonetheless, I understand the rationale - gotta appease the shareholders. And although the Z-oh is designed... no... born to turn, many are relegated to 1/4 miles only, where the auto is king. Hey it's ok. We all need our speed fix in our own special way. If a car meant to turn is also awesome on the straights, so-be-it.

Did anyone else notice Chevy stated its upshifts were faster than a Porsche GT3??? Not downshifts. This seems to be another perk for the drag racers... Almost like they offer two race versions:
1 - Road Course (manual)
2 - 1/4 Mile (auto)

Last edited by AtomicZ_Eric; 01-13-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

There are folks in this forum that KNEW that an auto would not be put into the Z because then it would no longer be a Z car. THose folks may or may not comment here but trust me, if they do you will know them. My take is that GM needed to do this for sales. Whether or not it works depends now on pricing and that we wont know for a while. Change is hard, nobody likes it but I have to give the Corvette team credit for taking the chance. While the car has an "edge", for the most part I think they did well.

Get notified of new replies

To Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing

Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 PM
cummins6900
5th Gear

Hello My name is George and I am new to this forum and interest in a Corvette. I have friends and relatives with vettes as well as a cousin with a bad *** kicking C6-Zo6. Well for me I would love to drive a stick BUT I had lost my right leg in a very bad accident and saddly can't any more. I personally am thrilled that Gm is putting Auto with paddle shifts in ALL the new vettes, now maybe I can buy one. to where I could not before, Gm is wanting to bring sales up, Well then give people what they want. I also feel if you are paying $70,000 on up on a car, you should be able to order ANY of the past or present colors.As well as a hardtop or a convert. I would love to buy a C7, Zo6/Zo7 convert. in Daytona Orange.

Last edited by cummins6900; 01-13-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Z06 RB
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET

Why?

I hear you.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 PM
ht600
Advanced

Hey Mike love the show. I watch the Drive channel all the time. I think GM is a business first and they have to sell this car to as many people as possible. Hence the removable top and auto trans.

Quick Reply: Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing