C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original Valve Covers for 1969???

Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 PM
69'
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Valve Covers for 1969???

Hey guys! I'm new to posting here so I am unsure if I'm putting this thread in the right place... but I was wondering if someone can give me an opinion. I was trying to get gaskets that fit my valve covers for my small black chevy and the guy down at the corvette store basically said my valve covers, even though sort of desirable, are not stock and so gaskets do not fit the best. If that is the case.... does anyone know or have a picture of the original valve covers for a 69 bette on a sb? Ill include a picture of mine. and any tricks to get the gasket to stay and fit the best?? The corvette guy said I could glue the cork gasket to the valve cover and that I do not need any silicone. Thank you !
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 69,
Glad your here!
The fellow is right ... those are aftermarket/performance valve covers.
Your 69 sb would have had painted steel valve covers if it was the base 300 hp engine and finned aluminum valve covers if it had the optional 350 hp engine.
They're both available in reproduction.
Regards,
Alan

You might actually be able to sell those valve covers if you decide not to use them... they're nice for someone building a 'old school' modified sb Chevy engine.

These are the painted valve covers... very plain.

And the aluminum:

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-08-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
69'
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 69,
Glad your here!
The fellow is right ... those are aftermarket/performance valve covers.
Your 69 sb would have had painted steel valve covers if it was the base 300 hp engine and finned aluminum valve covers if it had the optional 350 hp engine.
They're both available in reproduction.
Regards,
Alan

You might actually be able to sell those valve covers if you decide not to use them... they're nice for someone building a 'old school' modified sb Chevy engine.

These are the painted valve covers... very plain.

And the aluminum:

Thank you very much ! Both of those options were for my model?? I heard I could get a pretty penny for mine that I currently have ! I just do not know where to sell them! Do you think it is well worth getting original gms rather than the repos??
Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 69'
Thank you very much ! Both of those options were for my model?? I heard I could get a pretty penny for mine that I currently have ! I just do not know where to sell them! Do you think it is well worth getting original gms rather than the repos??
Yes, both were available in 69 as Alan says, depending on the motor HP.
That said, depending on what you want to accomplish with your car, driver, NCRS resto, modify, will suggest your direction.
Those valve covers you have look like the style seen on MOTION cars, though I do not know if they built small block cars.
If you are building a weekend driver, there is no reason to change valve covers unless you just do not like what you have.
Good luck with your build and welcome.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 69'
...I heard I could get a pretty penny for mine that I currently have...
Who made your aftermarket covers? Usually, they're not worth much, but depending on maker, you might find a hot rodder looking for specific vintage covers.

These are good if you're interested.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 01-09-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I'd keep those and spray them with an aluminium cleaner that contains hydrofluoric acid. They'll look real nice. Also, consider using the Felpro blue rubber gaskets vice cork gaskets.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
69'
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Who made your aftermarket covers? Usually, they're not worth much, but depending on maker, you might find a hot rodder looking for specific vintage covers.

These are good if you're interested.

That's a great idea ! I really should grab one of those books really soon. It's a weekend driver deffintely but long term wise I would want to slowly try to give it as much originality as possible ! I have a long time to build her up.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
69'
Intermediate

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I'd keep those and spray them with an aluminium cleaner that contains hydrofluoric acid. They'll look real nice. Also, consider using the Felpro blue rubber gaskets vice cork gaskets.
If I use a cork gasket and the contacts are clean , can I just glue the cork to the valve cover and use no silicone ?? The corvette shop guy had said so but I was wondering your opinion on it
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by 69'
If I use a cork gasket and the contacts are clean , can I just glue the cork to the valve cover and use no silicone ?? The corvette shop guy had said so but I was wondering your opinion on it
You certainly can. Thats the way it was done 100 years ago. Today, there are better options, as I suggested. The rubber gasket is also reuseable whereas the cork is usually not especially if it is glued.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

FYI, if using different heads like AFR you can have a problem with valve cover fit. I had to use doubled up thin gaskets so it wouldnt leak and to raise the covers from interference. 0.02
Old 01-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 69'
...I really should grab one of those books really soon...
Yep. I have both and both are reasonably good.

Get notified of new replies

To Original Valve Covers for 1969???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Original Valve Covers for 1969???